Active thread - Zimmerman Not Guilty

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Now the theory is that TM thought GZ was a gay rapist .
And he was trying to protect himself & a younger brother by not going home , so GZ wouldn't know where he was living .
So TM made this assumption by looking behind him as he was walking along in the rain .
Now wouldn't that make him a racists ?
Since he had never seen this person behind him before , nor spoken to him , yet he was quick to make such a judgement .

BrownArmy

From the NYT,

This guy is right on:

The Whole System Failed Trayvon Martin

By CHARLES M. BLOW

In a way, the not-guilty verdict in the trial of George Zimmerman for his killing of Trayvon Martin was more powerful than a guilty verdict could ever have been. It was the perfect wrenching coda to a story that illustrates just how utterly and completely our system of justice — both moral and legal — failed Martin and his family.

This is not to dispute the jury’s finding — one can intellectually rationalize the decision — as much as it is to howl at the moon, to yearn for a brighter reality for the politics around dark bodies, to raise a voice and say, this case is a rallying call, not a death dirge.
The system began to fail Martin long before that night.

Last edited by a moderator:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It's the law of the land !
Even though I disagree, it's again "the law of the land"
And since people of the USA & Florida are happy with those laws - I totally respect it.
It's your country, your people.
It's different !

​As in being different than you ... yes it is.

Upsmule

From the NYT,

This guy is right on:

By CHARLES M. BLOW

In a way, the not-guilty verdict in the trial of George Zimmerman for his killing of Trayvon Martin was more powerful than a guilty verdict could ever have been. It was the perfect wrenching coda to a story that illustrates just how utterly and completely our system of justice — both moral and legal — failed Martin and his family.

This is not to dispute the jury’s finding — one can intellectually rationalize the decision — as much as it is to howl at the moon, to yearn for a brighter reality for the politics around dark bodies, to raise a voice and say, this case is a rallying call, not a death dirge.

The system failed him when Florida’s self-defense laws were written, allowing an aggressor to claim self-defense in the middle of an altercation — and to use deadly force in that defense — with no culpability for his role in the events that led to that point.

The system failed him because of the disproportionate force that he and the neighborhood watchman could legally bring to the altercation — Zimmerman could legally carry a concealed firearm, while Martin, who was only 17, could not.

The system failed him when the neighborhood watchman grafted on stereotypes the moment he saw him, ascribing motive and behavior and intent and criminal history to a boy who was just walking home.

The system failed him when the bullet ripped through his chest, and the man who shot him said he mounted him and stretched his arms out wide, preventing him from even clutching the spot that hurt.

The system failed him in those moments just after he was shot when he was surely aware that he was about to die, but before life’s light fully passed from his body — and no one came to comfort him or try to save him.

The system failed him when the slapdash Sanford police did a horrible job of collecting and preserving evidence.

The system failed him when those officers apparently didn’t even value his dead body enough to adequately canvass the complex to make sure that no one was missing a teen.

The system failed him when he was labeled a John Doe and his lifeless body spent the night alone and unclaimed.

The system failed him when the man who the police found standing over the body of a dead teenager, a man who admitted to shooting him and still had the weapon, was taken in for questioning and then allowed to walk out of the precinct without an arrest or even a charge, to go home after taking a life and take to his bed.

The system failed him when it took more than 40 days and an outpouring of national outrage to get an arrest.

The system failed him when a strangely homogenous jury — who may well have been Zimmerman’s peers but were certainly not the peers of the teenager, who was in effect being tried in absentia — was seated.

The system failed him when the prosecution put on a case for the Martin family that many court-watchers found wanting.

The system failed him when the discussion about bias became so reductive as to be either-or rather than about situational fluidity and the possibility of varying responses to varying levels of perceived threat.

The system failed him when everyone in the courtroom raised racial bias in roundabout ways, but almost never directly — for example, when the defense held up a picture of a shirtless Martin and told the jurors that this was the person Zimmerman encountered the night he shot him. But in fact it was not the way Zimmerman had seen Martin. Consciously or subconsciously, the defense played on an old racial trope: asking the all-female jury — mostly white — to fear the image of the glistening black buck, as Zimmerman had.

This case is not about an extraordinary death of an extraordinary person. Unfortunately, in America, people are lost to gun violence every day. Many of them look like Martin and have parents who presumably grieve for them. This case is about extraordinary inequality in the presumption of innocence and the application of justice: why was Martin deemed suspicious and why was his killer allowed to go home?

Sometimes people just need a focal point. Sometimes that focal point becomes a breaking point.

The idea of universal suspicion without individual evidence is what Americans find abhorrent and what black men in America must constantly fight. It is pervasive in policing policies — like stop-and-frisk, and in this case neighborhood watch — regardless of the collateral damage done to the majority of innocents. It’s like burning down a house to rid it of mice.

As a parent, particularly a parent of black teenage boys, I am left with the question, “Now, what do I tell my boys?”

We used to say not to run in public because that might be seen as suspicious, like they’d stolen something. But according to Zimmerman, Martin drew his suspicion at least in part because he was walking too slowly.

So what do I tell my boys now? At what precise pace should a black man walk to avoid suspicion?

And can they ever stop walking away, or running away, and simply stand their ground? Can they become righteously indignant without being fatally wounded?

Is there anyplace safe enough, or any cargo innocent enough, for a black man in this country? Martin was where he was supposed to be — in a gated community — carrying candy and a canned drink.

The whole system failed Martin. What prevents it from failing my children, or yours?

I feel that I must tell my boys that, but I can’t. It’s stuck in my throat. It’s an impossibly heartbreaking conversation to have. So, I sit and watch in silence, and occasionally mouth the word, “breathe,” because I keep forgetting to.

How appropriate that center manager Blowhard propagate for the NYT's. :/ the system failed Martin and his family and Sharpton and Jackson and every race baiter across the country. It failed alright. It failed to rule on the side of emotional hysteria rather than the evidence. It failed to rule on the notions of the masses with their opinions of every possible angle of "if only" and "had he done this instead of that." All of which are not crimes.

Neither is walking to the store at night and walking back home, but acting suspicious on a dark rainy night regardless of the color of ones skin, in a high crime area should never go un-noticed, and it didn't. Hopefully the next punk assed POS that decides to grow a pair of balls will think twice and walk his sorry ass back home before something tragic happens, like justice!

You pathetic bleeding hearts should take your own advice and deal with it! Move on dot org and effing deal with justice! Because its been served like it or not. Agree or not.

brett636

From the NYT,

This guy is right on:

By CHARLES M. BLOW

I like how the article says it is not worth disputing the jury's finding because the system worked as designed. Then it goes on to describe Zimmerman as the aggressor when the jury clearly defined Martin as the aggressor. What should the author tell his black children to keep them out of such a scenario? How about tell them to avoid the thug life instead of immersing themselves in it like trayvon did. Tell them violence is a last resort and should be avoided at all times unlike Trayvon who resorted to violence first(remember it was Trayvon who was the aggressor as the jury had found). If they think someone is following them have them call the police rather than their girlfriend(and pray they can find a higher caliber girlfriend than Rachel jeantrel). The author ought to also know where his kids are going and for how long the should be gone. Trayvon should have been to the 7-11 and back in a half hour tops yet they didn't bother to try to look for him till the next day. Bottom line here is Trayvon's parents are the ones who failed him, but cried for society to make up fo their own shortcomings. When the answer has become a resounding NO they still think society has failed their son when his blood is on their hands.

Last edited by a moderator:

Babagounj

Strength through joy
[h=1]Blacks benefit from Florida ‘Stand Your Ground’ law at disproportionate rate[/h]
Black Floridians have made about a third of the state’s total “Stand Your Ground” claims in homicide cases, a rate nearly double the black percentage of Florida’s population. The majority of those claims have been successful, a success rate that exceeds that for Florida whites.
But approximately one third of Florida “Stand Your Ground” claims in fatal cases have been made by black defendants, and they have used the defense successfully 55 percent of the time, at the same rate as the population at large and at a higher rate than white defendants, according to a Daily Caller analysis of a database maintained by the Tampa Bay Times. Additionally, the majority of victims in Florida “Stand Your Ground” cases have been white.
African Americans used “Stand Your Ground” defenses at nearly twice the rate of their presence in the Florida population, which was listed at 16.6 percent in 2012.

island1fox

Trayvon Martin was suspended from school for various reasons --one of them -being in possession of STOLEN property.

Why has no news organization inquired --where the property came from and who it belonged to ?

How did Trayvon get it ?--Did he steal it ? Did he rob somebody in the street ?? OR did he break-in to a home in Miami and steal ??

Would shed light on why he was strolling at night ---under the influence of marijuana ---a suspended from school 17 year old ---that should have been grounded or give a curfew from his parents (who I believe were in Miami) or from his fathers girlfriends --the house he was headed to in Sanford.

No one wants to speak badly about the dead--but with all of these "peaceful protests" putting lives at risk ----I think this picture of a little innocent boy with candy and iced tea was "hunted down" has to be questioned further than just this jury decision.

To avoid these needless deaths in the future --things do have to change --a suspended 17 year old --heading down the path of drugs and crime---Allowed to roam at night in a neighborhood of a father's girlfriend ?? Parents get real !!!!!:dissapointed:

The system failed Trayvon ?????

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
What I find funny is the timeline that Martin took on his walk that night.

It took him 10-15 minutes to walk to the 7-11. It took him 40-45 to walk back. What was he doing?

Was he scoping places out? There was a report a crowbar was found next to a car that night. Was he attacking Zimmerman because he thought he was on to him? Could be, all things are possible.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Trayvon Martin was suspended from school for various reasons --one of them -being in possession of STOLEN property.

Why has no news organization inquired --where the property came from and who it belonged to ?

How did Trayvon get it ?--Did he steal it ? Did he rob somebody in the street ?? OR did he break-in to a home in Miami and steal ??

Would shed light on why he was strolling at night ---under the influence of marijuana ---a suspended from school 17 year old ---that should have been grounded or give a curfew from his parents (who I believe were in Miami) or from his fathers girlfriends --the house he was headed to in Sanford.

No one wants to speak badly about the dead--but with all of these "peaceful protests" putting lives at risk ----I think this picture of a little innocent boy with candy and iced tea was "hunted down" has to be questioned further than just this jury decision.

To avoid these needless deaths in the future --things do have to change --a suspended 17 year old --heading down the path of drugs and crime---Allowed to roam at night in a neighborhood of a father's girlfriend ?? Parents get real !!!!!:dissapointed:

The system failed Trayvon ?????

I want to know who took those pictures on his cell phone!

PS - Parents are part of the system.

rod

Retired 22 years
Zimmerman who?----Martin who? Must be old news. Time to move on. -----------wait a minute---thats upstates line.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
[h=2]Trayvonistas Assault Grandmother Who Was Attempting to Get Child to Hospital[/h]
trayvonista-attacking-grandmother.jpg

Houston:
“No justice, no peace,” they yelled as they walked from the Byrd Funeral Home in the 2500 block of Wheeler to the Southmore Street overpass bridge near Highway 288.
Just after 7p.m. Monday, the demonstrators spilled out onto the road and blocked traffic for about 15 minutes.
“I looked up and I see all the protesters, they’re everywhere,” said Georgia, who asked that her last name not be used. “So, we got into the traffic and they’re stopping us and not letting us go.”
Georgia was on her way to Texas Children’s Hospital in the Medical Center because her 7-year-old granddaughter was having an allergic reaction to some medication.
Georgia’s daughter was driving and tried to go around the demonstrators by driving on the grassy shoulder.
“One of them was hitting the windshield and I was just screaming, ‘We’ve got to get to the hospital,’ and they were screaming and chanting,” she said. “All I could think of was, I got to get my granddaughter to the hospital.”
“My mom rolled down the window,” said Georgia’s daughter. “She said, ‘We’re trying to get my granddaughter to the hospital,’ and a guy just started hitting her.”