Actual safety upgrades to telematics coming to a center near you

browned out

We have been kicking around this new metric for telematics. It would show every time your package car exceeded the speed limit. It would also show every time a driver did not come to a complete stop at a stop sign. We are all about safety.

What other metrics would you add to make UPS drivers safer?

Marne Vet

We have been kicking around this new metric for telematics. It would show every time your package car exceeded the speed limit. It would also show every time a driver did not come to a complete stop at a stop sign. We are all about safety.

Is this a joke? Probably not. UPS is all about safety on paper, but not in reality. They'll send us out in a blizzard, but then blame us for an accident when we slide on ice. All about pushing the blame off on stupid decisions to work in unsafe weather on the driver. Sure, implement a speed restriction now because we all know we have a ton of time to get those airs off. I don't know anyone that drives 55 mph on their way out to their area. Anything to slow us down a little more and then blame us for failed commit times sounds legit to me. God I'm so happy retirement isn't far off. I would never do this job if we had all this crap when I started.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
This technology is ALREADY here. Telematics has had these features since day one. Your center may not have used it, but its been a part of the system since its launch.

TOS.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

how is telematics supposed to know you're at a stop sign or what the speed limit is in a given area?

I deem this thread worthless.

TheDick

how is telematics supposed to know you're at a stop sign or what the speed limit is in a given area?

Guess you've never seen a division mgr with his Iphone (google earth)showing a center manager how quick a 2mile driveway should dr in less than 30sec?

Marne Vet

True, but I have heard rumors (unfounded thus far) about technology that would know if we hit the brakes too hard, or accelerate too fast. Accelerometers are in smart phones, so adding them to our vehicles wouldn't be far fetched. How this would make us safer drivers is beyond me. How do they know if me hitting my brakes hard isn't for safety to begin with?! I've had to jump on the gas many times because someone was failing to stop at an intersection I was halfway through etc.

rod

Retired 22 years
Never happen. How would the runner/gunners operated if they had to work safely? I could see UPS installing telematics that would tell them when you were going slower than the speed limit or if you stopped a half a second longer at a stop sign than need but not the other way around.

browned out

All easily accesible info. My old garmin gps knows the speed limit on every road I drive. This is kids stuff for the wizards of ups tech. The point of this thread is what metric can be used to get the runner gunners or other unsafe opackage car drivers to drive with some sense of safety being the priority instead of just getting it done as fast as possible.

browned out

Never happen. How would the runner/gunners operated if they had to work safely? I could see UPS installing telematics that would tell them when you were going slower than the speed limit or if you stopped a half a second longer at a stop sign than need but not the other way around.

Exactly. A plus. That is the true point of this thread. Safety is secondary at best. Profduction 1st

rod

Retired 22 years
All easily accesible info. My old garmin gps knows the speed limit on every road I drive. This is kids stuff for the wizards of ups tech. The point of this thread is what metric can be used to get the runner gunners or other unsafe opackage car drivers to drive with some sense of safety being the priority instead of just getting it done as fast as possible.

My Garmin likes to send me up narrow mountain roads that turn to dirt with no place to turn around while I'm pulling my 27 foot Toy Hauler camper.

Indecisi0n

If its true which I do not believe it just UPS cutting off it's nose to spite its face. It just makes me slower and my stops per hour will drop. I'll start filing 9.5's and make thousands of extra cash which will piss them off and surely be follow by an OJS. Being how I do the job correctly the OJS will show the sup that. The OJS rides will be setup so I won't get 9.5 but after the rides the route will go back to the way it was and I will continue to make extra cash off 9.5's. Sounds like I'm still winning.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our center has used telematics data to either refute or support customer concerns regarding unsafe driving. We had a driver who received a concern for going 20 mph over the posted speed limit----telematics confirmed that the driver was indeed going 56 in a 35. We had another driver receive a concern for speeding in a residential area----telematics showed the driver was driving below the posted speed limit. Telematics could be used to show hard or excessive braking if one of our pkg cars is involved in an accident. There are times when telematics could be our friend.

Packmule

Already capable of this. They just don't keep daily records of it. Have an accident while exceeding the speed limit and watch how fast they connect those dots. Until something happens however, they'll love the productivity.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
What is more of a safety hazard than a fatigued driver? Why not clamp down on drivers not taking required breaks during the correct times?

Ashell

If only they made people that actually have work experience management. (instead of just their buddies.) I can tell this post is BS, because of the word "telematics." Its a fancy made up word that sounds technical. The truth of the matter when you have "safety" features like this, that don't work like a seat belt and protect you, or antilock breaks that add performance, you get things like this:
Stop light cameras,"Some studies have confirmed many more rear-end collisions where red light cameras have been used, while right-angle crashes decreased, but the overall collision rate has been mixed as to whether the total crashes were higher when using red light cameras."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_light_camera

People become overly cautious, they stop using common sense, they become overly focused on the light, and less aware of surroundings. To say this "technology" makes us more safe is just some over paid goon trying to perpetuate his useless job.

Telemetrics would allow the company to remove drivers that do not preform according to their measurement. If only we had these type of tattletale devices for management, like when they harass people, or shave time, or violate the contract, or just stand around talking about non work matters. It would save the company and the customer billions. The video camera exists, it could "measure" many of these events. But I am explicitly forbidden to bring one into work.

Last edited:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
My point is ups could care less. Only time it matters is if you have an accident. They can and will go back and see if you were speeding or ran a stop sign.

I find it funny that everyone whines about ups being big brother but then we want them to spy on the runners so we don't look bad.

We make personal choices and no one else should care. It'll all come around sooner or later.