Actual safety upgrades to telematics coming to a center near you

Johney

Never happen. How would the runner/gunners operated if they had to work safely? I could see UPS installing telematics that would tell them when you were going slower than the speed limit or if you stopped a half a second longer at a stop sign than need but not the other way around.
When you pull up to a p/u stop and have the dock guy wave you off as they have nothing going, you hit stop complete then get dinged for a recording while idling, this place is capable of anything.

I mean come on do I really need to shut the truck down just for that? What has become of this place.

Cementups

Box Monkey
When you pull up to a p/u stop and have the dock guy wave you off as they have nothing going, you hit stop complete then get dinged for a recording while idling, this place is capable of anything.

I mean come on do I really need to shut the truck down just for that? What has become of this place.

I do. I have a guy at a John Deere dealer who takes his smoke break at the exact time I do my pickup. He'll stick his head inside and check if there is anything going out and if there isn't he will use his hand to cut his throat telling me there is nothing going. EVERY time I shut the truck down and undo my seatbelt, enter stop, stop complete, click seatbelt and start the truck back up. He shakes his head every time. Told him I have to do it. I get paid by the hour so if they want me to take a extra 30 seconds to perform these actions, then show me the money.

browned out

Our new cars are equipped with the jumper seat belt sensor. That should have been on all cars from the implementation. instead my oncar would show me the report and ask... it shows a stop, bulkhead door open and no delivery so what happened? porta potty boss, is that a safety issue? Telematics was presented as a safety instrument. We should use it for every safety issue it can measure.

Bottom rung

At my previous full time job, before going full time. I worked for electrical wholesaler delivering wire nuts and pipe they had telematics on their trucks too. It would send an email to the boss when you were speeding, accelerated too fast, stop too fast or idling for more than 10 minutes at a time. ups definitely has the technology to see that stuff they just choose not too because of production.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
how is telematics supposed to know you're at a stop sign or what the speed limit is in a given area?

I deem this thread worthless.
A driver in my local was involved in an accident,and found not to be at fault by the police. However Telematics showed he was driving 60 in 55 zone,and was terminated for 'reckless driving' ,and sadly this was upheld at panel. I am a very firm believer myself. It also works in one s favour if one is indeed driving the speedlimit and complaints accusing a driver of of speeding thru neighborhoods are called in

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
At my previous full time job, before going full time. I worked for electrical wholesaler delivering wire nuts and pipe they had telematics on their trucks too. It would send an email to the boss when you were speeding, accelerated too fast, stop too fast or idling for more than 10 minutes at a time. ups definitely has the technology to see that stuff they just choose not too because of production.
they choose not to see it until a driver has an accident,then its ALL about Safety

Cementups

Box Monkey
A driver in my local was involved in an accident,and found not to be at fault by the police. However Telematics showed he was driving 60 in 55 zone,and was terminated for 'reckless driving' ,and sadly this was upheld at panel. I am a very firm believer myself. It also works in one s favour if one is indeed driving the speedlimit and complaints accusing a driver of of speeding thru neighborhoods are called in
they choose not to see it until a driver has an accident,then its ALL about Safety

What happened to technology not being used to punish drivers?

Johney

I do. I have a guy at a John Deere dealer who takes his smoke break at the exact time I do my pickup. He'll stick his head inside and check if there is anything going out and if there isn't he will use his hand to cut his throat telling me there is nothing going. EVERY time I shut the truck down and undo my seatbelt, enter stop, stop complete, click seatbelt and start the truck back up. He shakes his head every time. Told him I have to do it. I get paid by the hour so if they want me to take a extra 30 seconds to perform these actions, then show me the money.
I do it also....now, what I'm saying is for a company so bent on saving time it just seems counter productive some of this stuff.

wayfair

swollen member

don't handle the diad while the truck is on or moving... if you get waved off, stop/complete p/up at next stop... gps will prove you were there. OR shut it down like Cement says

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

don't handle the diad while the truck is on or moving... if you get waved off, stop/complete p/up at next stop... gps will prove you were there. OR shut it down like Cement says

This is poor advice. Shut it down and complete the pickup. Whose to say the shipper won't call in a missed pickup concern and if you close out stop not at that location you are screwed.

Sent using BrownCafe App

wayfair

swollen member
This is poor advice. Shut it down and complete the pickup. Whose to say the shipper won't call in a missed pickup concern and if you close out stop not at that location you are screwed.

Sent using BrownCafe App

I guess you could train my on cars, that is what we were directed to do..

Anonymous 12

Non active member
We have been kicking around this new metric for telematics. It would show every time your package car exceeded the speed limit. It would also show every time a driver did not come to a complete stop at a stop sign. We are all about safety.

What other metrics would you add to make UPS drivers safer?
Fart sensor in the seat??

Anonymous 12

Non active member
All easily accesible info. My old garmin gps knows the speed limit on every road I drive. This is kids stuff for the wizards of ups tech. The point of this thread is what metric can be used to get the runner gunners or other unsafe opackage car drivers to drive with some sense of safety being the priority instead of just getting it done as fast as possible.
Nothing because ups likes money and why would they want to stop that???

Omega man

1. Record any driver activity in truck before start time.
2. Truck made to not start until full lunch or break period is taken.
3. DIAD locks for full period of lunch or breaks during contractually agreed time.
4. Most importantly, record when management is driving or in the jump seat because
this is usually the least safe time.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

1. Record any driver activity done in truck before start time.
2. Truck made to not start until full lunch or break period is taken.
3. DIAD locks for full period of lunch or breaks during contractually agreed time.
4. Most importantly, record when management is driving or in the jump seat because
this is usually the least safe time.

1. Don't link DIAD to pkg car until you are ready to leave building.

2. I have no problem with this.

3. I have no problem with the DIAD locking for lunch and break times entered in DIAD by driver, which may or may not be the contractually agreed times.

4. Yawn.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Our new cars are equipped with the jumper seat belt sensor. That should have been on all cars from the implementation. instead my oncar would show me the report and ask... it shows a stop, bulkhead door open and no delivery so what happened? porta potty boss, is that a safety issue? Telematics was presented as a safety instrument. We should use it for every safety issue it can measure.
Work safe that's all you can do. Like I said before why should ups go to great lengths to make sure their drivers are being safe?

It's a choice we need to make as individuals. Instead of whining about ups not doing enough how bout you take it into your own hands and talk to coworkers.