Actual safety upgrades to telematics coming to a center near you

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
1. Record any driver activity in truck before start time.
2. Truck made to not start until full lunch or break period is taken.
3. DIAD locks for full period of lunch or breaks during contractually agreed time.
4. Most importantly, record when management is driving or in the jump seat because
this is usually the least safe time.
How about let drivers make their own decisions.

If some one wants to take all their break from 12-1 grow a freaking set and do it. Ups doesn't need to tell me I need to take some break and eat. My body tells me that.

browned out

My point is ups could care less. Only time it matters is if you have an accident. They can and will go back and see if you were speeding or ran a stop sign.

I find it funny that everyone whines about ups being big brother but then we want them to spy on the runners so we don't look bad.

We make personal choices and no one else should care. It'll all come around sooner or later.

All the drivers I know could give 2 flying tomatos about another driver making them look bad. Our customers complaining about bad service, blank dr notices, packages left in the rain with no dr bags, etc when sparky lightning covers the route says it all.

It does all come around. The idea is to identify and correct these dangerous behaviors before it does come around in the form of a severe accident. Our center had 2 runners involved in serious accidents. One hit a bicyclist and the other hit a guy on a motorcycle.

We look at and pick apart a drivers day when they are an hour and a half over, why not do the same when drivers are under an hour and a half?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I do. I have a guy at a John Deere dealer who takes his smoke break at the exact time I do my pickup. He'll stick his head inside and check if there is anything going out and if there isn't he will use his hand to cut his throat telling me there is nothing going. EVERY time I shut the truck down and undo my seatbelt, enter stop, stop complete, click seatbelt and start the truck back up. He shakes his head every time. Told him I have to do it. I get paid by the hour so if they want me to take a extra 30 seconds to perform these actions, then show me the money.
You don't have to un click the seat belt. Turn vehicle off and stop complete. You can un click seat belt if vehicle is running as long as you are in park. You can look at EDD in DIAD all day long while driving, just don't scan. These systems were designed with loopholes so we can continue to actually get the job done.

degill7994

True, but I have heard rumors (unfounded thus far) about technology that would know if we hit the brakes too hard, or accelerate too fast. Accelerometers are in smart phones, so adding them to our vehicles wouldn't be far fetched. How this would make us safer drivers is beyond me. How do they know if me hitting my brakes hard isn't for safety to begin with?! I've had to jump on the gas many times because someone was failing to stop at an intersection I was halfway through etc.
They are already getting this info with the new package cars.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
1. Record any driver activity in truck before start time.
2. Truck made to not start until full lunch or break period is taken.
3. DIAD locks for full period of lunch or breaks during contractually agreed time.
4. Most importantly, record when management is driving or in the jump seat because
this is usually the least safe time.

Why?

browned out

Why? DUH OK IM DUPID I think you know exactly what Omega is stating. This would obviously would serve no purpose or financial incentive to the company to implement this already available technology. The Teamsters Union should demand these types of measures to attempt to level the playing field in terms of employees being selectively terminated.

slantnosechevy

It's all there for them to use Brownslave...as always, draw attention to yourself and they will bring it all out. They brought in 3 burners about a month ago for excessive speeding and blowing stop signs. They weren't just rolling through them they were doing 10-15 mph through the stops in resi areas. Big Brother has saved a few guys over the last few years too. Stationary objects claimed by customers to be hit by brown trucks that telematics showed were never even close to. Same old story...do your job and no worries.