ADA

JonFrum

Luck is great if it comes your way.

But with UPS, I'd first learn all about my rights at . . .
http://www.ada.gov

And be familiar with Contract Article 14, Section 3, and Article 36. As well as any Supplemental ADA language.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
menotyou,

Has the company denied you the right to return to work ?

If so... why ?

It has been suggested to be familar with Article 14 Sec. 3

The only thing you need to know about that Article is the first sentence.

Need more info....

-Bug-

menotyou

bella amicizia
menotyou,

Has the company denied you the right to return to work ?

If so... why ?

It has been suggested to be familar with Article 14 Sec. 3

The only thing you need to know about that Article is the first sentence.

Need more info....

-Bug-
Its expected.

browned out

Our Local 243 Secretary Treasurer went to Florida(I think) within the last month to discuss a major ADA UPS case. He seemed very distraught by the results of what the ADA would and could be. My understanding of what he said is as follows: UPS may have to find you another job; it does not have to be with UPS, it does not even have to be full-time, it does not have to have full time benefits. Here is his number. 734-420-6900. ext 104 His name is Greg L. He is very helpful and I am sure he will let you know what transpired and what the ADA relating to UPS entails.

iruhnman630

The problem with ADA and UPS is the limited number of jobs available for those with strict weight restrictions. It's just the nature of the business.

trickpony1

The Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) is a Federal agency that is supposed to assure that companies like ours hires, retains and promotes persons with disabilities.

Like I said....it's a Federal agency but it's worth a try.

wornoutupser

We lost another long time driver here that had a job that catered to his restrictions. UPS decided to terminate him. The job still exists!

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Came back after low back and rotator cuff surgeries. 70lb weight limit and must have power steering and automatic transmission package car. Company has not violated the restrictions in 5 years. Pain in the ass sometimes with getting assistance for over 70's on a rural route but they make it happen.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Came back after low back and rotator cuff surgeries. 70lb weight limit and must have power steering and automatic transmission package car. Company has not violated the restrictions in 5 years. Pain in the ass sometimes with getting assistance for over 70's on a rural route but they make it happen.
Now that begins to restore my tattered faith. Please post more on this subject.

Bm01555

Listen up, The ADA is a Federal Law and just because UPS says they don't have a job is nonsense. The law says they have to make "a reasonable accommodation" that includes, job restructuring, reassignment, transfer and other remedies. The Federal Law supercedes your Contract and they won't tell you that. Once you are disabled by the definition of the law you need to request a specific ADA accommodation. UPS being a 75 Billion Dollar Company can't say it will cause an unreasonable hardship to keep you employed. There was a class action lawsuit filed and if you type " UPS ADA Manual" in google you will find a copy of the lawsuit and see the tactics that are being alledged and learn what to do. If you need any help or know of any teamster or management person that has been or will be fired because of an injury contact me and I will give you all the help I can. In my opinion UPS has done me wrong and a court, because they chose to fight, will determine that. That was their mistake because now I plan on making Ron Carey look like a choir boy when it relates to costing UPS because of past, current and future abuses. Knowledge is a wonderful thing and 10 years plus as a staff level manager taught me a lot of things, guess it's time to start using this knowledge.