address corections??

B

blkcloud

lol..sorry feeder...i still ship everday on ups..anything over 8-10 pounds goes on your truck..I usually send 5-10 boxes per week over 65 pounds on your truck...these all go to business and the post office cant touch it..hehe and hey feeder..if you see one of my boxes...dont drop it...lol

I

iloadthetruck

blkcloud,
I don't understand why you think placing a bad address on a package isn't your fault. If you ship as much as you do you should be good at spotting inconsistencies in addresses. As a shipper, you are responsible for whatever address you place on a package, irregardless of what your customer tells you.

I'm with racerx - pad your shipping fees appropriately if this is such a common problem for you. It's obviously just part of the cost of doing business.

B

blkcloud

did you read my first post???????? apparently not...here it is again.....
i have a load of customers who are retired, lived in the same house for 30 years and mail me a check for my product..they know where they live...but 911 has given them a new address..but they tell me to ship it to their old address"route 5 box 77" instead of "12345 277th st" all i know is what comes with the letter and what is printed on their check..but yet i get slapped with a 5.00 charge..its not my fault that they dont tell me the correct address yet I am the one who gets billed..were talking 25.00 orders here..when i get the address correction, plus the del. area surcharge plus the fuel surcharge not only do i not make anything i actually loose money...

D

dannyboy

IF the check has the same address on it that you send it to, and the order form has the same address you sent it to, then you have an issue with UPS. IF the address on the checks and the address onthe order form are PO boxes, then you will get an addy correction charge and rightly so.

WE have told you what steps to take with the charges. And we helped in every way you asked. So why the sour attitude toward the UPS driver?

Either take control of the costs and contact UPS in writing, or live with it. IF it is your problem, correct it. If it is UPS, call it to their attention. In writing.

And if they do not respond, if you paid by credit card, dispute the charges. That will get their attention.

d

B

blkcloud

do you guys read all the post or just parts of them?? i had to spell it out to theloader and here it is to you...i dont have a sour attitude towards him..here is what he said..

"I don't understand why you think placing a bad address on a package isn't your fault."

what else can i say??? i clearly stated how i got the addresses...i just dont pull them out of the air..they are sent to me... apparently he didnt read my post and just skimmed parts here and there and had to input his 2 cents..about my original post that he didnt even read...

D

dannyboy

Im sure glad my customers dont have the attitude you have. I can teach and help anyone, except the one that knows it all and does not want help. And I think you fit in the second group judging by your posts.

"do you guys read all the post or just parts of them?? "

This is your post. Why dont you read it yourself. I posted IF IF IF. Now it those if's pertain to your situation, then I spelled out how to deal with it. IF not, I gave you the alternative route.

So what is YOUR problem? Your other posts show that you either want to cause trouble or have a real insecurity in dealing with professionals in the transportation industry. We have tried to educate you in what to do, but instead you come up with all these little snide remarks.

So if you want help, ask the questions in a way that is proper. IF not, go away unless you can offer something constructive.

d

O

ok2bclever

It always comes back to your belief that it's not your responsibility because you got the information from someone else.

You think you shouldn't be held accountable for YOUR customers mistakes.

UPS states that you will be per the agreement you enter in to when you use our services.

Unless for some reason you cultivate an unusual level of incompetent customers your bad address shipments should be a relatively small proportion of your total customers and racerx gave you an excellent and practical solution to account for this unfortunate business expense.

You could cover your expenses without it being a hardship to your overall customer base by adding a small "handling" surcharge to all shipments to cover your illiterate customers.

Or you can just complain.

We respect whatever decision you make.

R

racerx

Blkcloud Our delivery systems require the correct address in order to route the package through our systems and onto the correct delivery vehicle. When the address is wrong, our entire system breaks down (in terms of that package) and additional work, sometimes a ton of additional work, is needed to find the correct address, apply it to the package and get it delivered. UPS could do one of two things. First, if a package had a bad address, we could just return it to the sender. Or we could go the extra mile, find the correct address, and get the package delivered as soon as possible. UPS decided that if a package was important enough for a company to track, then it needs to be delivered except under the most extreme circumstances. So we decided to correct the address and get it delivered.

Now this costs us a lot of money. So to cover this additional expense, instead of the normal 2-3% rate increase, we could have taken a 10-15% rate increase and charged it to all of our customers. OR, we could continue to take our normal 2-3% rate increase and use our technology to charge customers for each instance that we experience additional work from an incorrect address. So Blkcloud, which way would you have it?

1. Return all shipments back to you with incorrect addresses. More than likely you would lose the sale because your customer did not get the item when they needed it AND you would still have to pay full amount for the attempt.
2. Have UPS make the correction and get the package delivered as soon as possible, but be forced to absorb a 10 15% increase in your shipping costs across the board.
3. Have UPS make the correction and get the package delivered as soon as possible, but only pay for each individual error as a separate charge.

So which way would you have it?

B

blkcloud

I actually called and requested that the screwed up packages be returned to me..but they wouldnt do it..thanks guys for all your help..I have a far greater respect for ups now than i did before i found this site!!

R

racerx

Well, actually.. It was a hypothetical question. You cant really choose how you want us to deal with your incorrect addresses we chose for you.

After all, we are Big Brown!!!!

S

spidey

"I actually called and requested that the screwed up packages be returned to me..but they wouldnt do it"

If you would like, you can print on each label "Do Not Forward" "Make No Address Correction" In those cases the drivers and clerks will not attempt to locate the correct address. The package will be postcarded and sent back to you in a week if the consignee doesn't respond. Most shippers prefer that we get the package to the customer, but there are some who do this. I personally would be upset waiting for a package twice as long or more just because of a missing apt # or such, but that is from the customer point of view, not the shipper. You might give that a try if it suits you.

D

dannyboy

Spidey makes a good point. All of the UPS stores and most other customer counters have a stamp made up that states, "No address corrections allowed" or "Do not address correct" That will keep you from getting the charge, but it will keep the customer from getting their package on the scheduled day.

And as Racer stated, we actually dont give you the choice. The majority of the customers polled have stated that they would rather have the package forwarded and the charge assessed, so the majority wins.

So between the two posts and others, that should have your question and problem solved.

As for your customer, a few times of them not getting the packages should solve the problem of bad addresses. If it becomes an problem for them instead of you, they will call their end of UPS and try and find out what the problem is on that end. The way things are now, they dont have an intrest in your problem what so ever. By having the packages returned to you instead of address corrected, then they have a vested intrest to see what the problem is and fix that problem. If it is their address, then they need to get it right. And if it is a problem with UPS on the delivery side, then they will also follow up on that end.

That photo on the avatar is a Tardigrade. Also called the water bear. Kinda like me, almost indestructable. Cool Creature! Better live under a scope in live action.

d

O

ok2bclever

The last two posts are inacurrate.

At best it might be handled that way in their centers, but certainly not nationwide.

I actually mentioned this potential gambit of adding "no address corrections" onto the package in my third post, but I stated then I didn't know the effectiveness of doing it.

In my center when we first started seeing this I asked management whether I correct the address and get it delivered or send it back.

Management said to correct it and get it delivered.

That means putting the statement on a package may be handled in many ways and guarantees nothing.

Spidey, the postcard statement is a strange practice if address correction is not part of the mix.

The purpose of the address correction charge is to counter the labor costs these exceptions cause UPS.

Inputting an exception into the system to generate a postcard incurs labor, storage and postage costs.

And if you are not going to allow an address correction of packages with shipper instructions to the contrary are you sending "come and get it or else, no exception postcards or what?!?

D

dannyboy

"Management said to correct it and get it delivered."

That statement on the package, IF you can prove it will allow you to dispute the charge on the package. The correct proceedure is to send it back to the customer that shipped it. IF managment wants it corrected and sent out for delivery, that is fine. But then they should not charge for the addy correction.

As a practical matter how does doing an address correction on this address help?

112 Apple Street
112 Appl St.

You gonna charge them for leaving an E off the end of the street name? Sorry, that is just wrong.

But I have seen address corrections like this done and charged. And the Zip code thing with EAstman Chemical is one that I have fought for years and finally got it stopped. For Eastman we went from third on their prefered provider list to 13th, in no small part to charging their shippers 5 extra on each ground and 15 for each air that had the 62 zip.

And when that adds a $1000 to each days delivery costs, its hard to get your foot in the door to get additional volume, esp the international stuff that we are after so badly.

d

I

iloadthetruck

Dannyboy:
You scenario is OK, but there are numerous situations where there's a missing prefix, or no street type, making it even harder to determine where these packages are. Not to mention incorrect zip codes.

I'm still curious about this special zip code... you are in a PAS center, correct? It's not that difficult to add new zip codes and streets to DPS and give them the same loop/seq number, eliminating any DOL/trace issues...

O

ok2bclever

danny,

Be careful not to accidently mislead the customer here.

It sounds like you are stating putting "no address corrections" absolves the shipper of any liabilities, as a fact.

While we both pride ourselves in our knowledge of our company, neither of us are in billing or a policy maker.

I don't know for a fact if putting that on a package has any effect in regards to billing disputes with UPS.

Are you saying you know for a fact it does nationwide or that you think it should, there is a distinct difference to the customer's bottom line between the two.

I want to correct another statement you have made that sounds misleading.

Clerks do NOT decide whether a address gets charged or not.

Long ago the clerk had that perogative, but that was taken out of their hands years ago.

They follow input procedures and the ECS system decides whether a charge is incurred or not.

As I have stated over and over, anything the customer feels is an erroneous charge they should dispute.

I believe the account execs have some limited input regarding address correction charges at the shipper's end, but the clerks do not.

D

dannyboy

For the record, I think part of the problem is all the call centers and ordering centers that are out of country, and even those that are in country that hire people that can not speak english. And those salespeople that call my phone trying to sell me something that can never pronounce my name.

I never said clerks could. I said management. And they can not charge for address corrections if they so desire.

As for being on PAS, not yet. There is and always has been a 62 ZIP. And Eastman, Holston Defence, AFG and several other large corps have that Zip assigned to them. But for some reason, UPS decided that since they do not know of any streets with that Zip, that Zip does not exist.

Problem is that there are many streets with that zip, but they are not open to the public, or at least not since 911.

I load, the examples that you gave are all valid address corrections. Just on my area alone are two Beechwood Roads, a court, street, Drive and place, all with the same Zip. And the two Roads have overlapping street numbers. In other areas near mine are at least 6 others, but they all have other Zips. And that is right now in this small rednecked corner of the world. Cant imagine what it would be in someplace large like Atlanta.

So all these things play a very important part in getting the package to the right person, so any problems with the suffix or prefix is a given. Then I know of many streets that sound the same but are spelled differently, so in some cases that would be an issue.

Problem is the input into the system. If the input is faulty, then anything that comes out if that is also faulty. And this is part of the failure with what I have heard and seen of PAS. If all you have are outside managers that sweep in and do it all without the drivers input, then you have many problems with the system. IF you have the drivers input and ignore it, you have problems. Only when UPS uses all the vast knowledge that is stored in the minds of the delivery force can they really understand how best to impliment PAS. ANd this is not to say that the delivery sup is not important in this matter, or even some center managers. But no one knows the areas like the drivers.

As far as the note on the package, I have since the late 70's and early 80's picked up at customer counters. Fact is one of the off chains was started by a close friend of our AE after I went to him with an idea and he said it could not be done, UPS would not allow it.Funny how that changed for his friend that next year when he let out the franchises for PEC.

Anyway, I have had at least 2-4 customer counter pickups my whole career and that is what they have been using since the corrections thing was started. And from what they have relayed to me, a no address correction allowed sticker or stamp is just that, no corrections allowed.

Kinda like the signature required stickers that do not allow for indirect delivery. You can, but then you will also be on the hook for any problems coming out of that delivery.

As for stating that this is a nation wide policy, cant say. Just do know that these customers have shipped all over the world and with that disclaimer on the package have not paid an address correction. Dont know about being billed, just know they have not paid one.

I hope that clears things up, at least so we can see the bottom of the problem.

And as I posted, paying your bill with a credit card and using the CC company to dispute a claim can also be helpful.

d

O

ok2bclever

My point exactly, your personal experience of perhaps a couple of accounts in Tennessee is far from stating something as an official, national UPS policy.

Adding a non-UPS signature required sticker would be a similar topic.

UPS does not have to get a signature just because the customer scrawls, stamps or sticks such a message onto the package.

We have a system for that and if the customer wants it, they pay for it.

Those are the only ones the company or the driver are required to get a signature for.

That's like saying if the customer puts "this side up" and turning it over damages it and we have to pay a damage claim even if it wasn't packed sufficiently.

Not happening.

Additional non-UPS, personal, unofficial customer messages on a package does not make UPS responsible to the customer for anything.

D

dannyboy

I am speaking of companies that have shipped all over the place. That would mean that those corrections from where ever the package went to could have been billed. I am saying that they were never forced to pay these charges because of the stamp on the package.

What you do with things in your neck of the woods is not relevant to the discussion. It is will the shipper have to pay for an address correction if you do one on the package. And the answer to that is no.

Further more, over the years I have returned hundreds that were sent back because of the stamp. Without an address correction ever being done. So I guess in many areas the wishes of the sender are respected and honored. But I guess by your posts not in all areas.

And your signature required analogy is not quite the same. UPS does not have a service level or sticker that says do not forward or address correct to my knowledge. So the customer is forced to do it on their own. And before diads and the signature required stickers, writing it on the package was the only choice for the customer. And guess what, the drivers honored the request. ANd not because we "had to" but because it was the right thing to do. Kinda like leaving a package at the right house instead of a neighbor because it is a hassle to get it to where it belongs. ITs the right thing to do.

If I remember correctly, it was after we started Dr'ing packages that customers started with a lot of signatures required on packages that we were now able to leave. UPS began with the stickers and charges to stop the frivolous signature on home deliveries.