Addresses Dangerous for Delivery

8 Hour Day

Not for me. TAW was awesome. Shuttling misloads, doing 20 stops in 4 hours of cupcake resi under 5 lbs each, and chillin' in the office. No one gave me an attitude.
My 1st experience was the exact opposite, unfortunately. Was told to come in under the premise that they had an "easy day" for me. It turned out to be oneof the worst routes we had... All industrial, irregs galore, beast of a truck... I walked out.

The 2nd time want as bad, but the thrashing I got that first go round hasn't been forgotten.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
My 1st experience was the exact opposite, unfortunately. Was told to come in under the premise that they had an "easy day" for me. It turned out to be oneof the worst routes we had... All industrial, irregs galore, beast of a truck... I walked out.

The 2nd time want as bad, but the thrashing I got that first go round hasn't been forgotten.
That doesn't sound like TAW.

rod

Retired 22 years
Not for me. TAW was awesome. Shuttling misloads, doing 20 stops in 4 hours of cupcake resi under 5 lbs each, and chillin' in the office. No one gave me an attitude.

You must work in the BOG. The one time I was put on light duty part of it was picking up at a printing shop---usually about 30 to 50 cases of printed material.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
You must work in the BOG. The one time I was put on light duty part of it was picking up at a printing shop---usually about 30 to 50 cases of printed material.
If it wasn't within your comp restriction I would have told them to go pound sand.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
And loose dogs. No truck to protect you. Just you and them.
This is my biggest concern about walking off pkgs. Especially at night, because people let their dogs out to freely roam because "no one comes here at night"

Last edited:

Would you walk this off?
FullSizeRender.jpg

This is an area where people are HEAVILY ARMED and take no :censored2:... there houses are often heavily guarded with dogs, security cams, fences, etc.
last year one house was busted for growing HUGE Amounts of marijuana .

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
This has been going on since August.

I have been instructed not to swap packages with drivers in 700s (who are more than willing to do so). I have been instructed not to sheet them as missed. I am also under the impression that getting a 10000 pound truck stuck in the mud is frowned upon. It's a no win situation.

Is there a company policy in regards to using the appropriate vehicle for an address? Where would I find that?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

There is no company policy. It is the responsibility of the driver to avoid doing anything unsafe.

If you cant safely make service on the packages and have been instructed not to swap them with another driver or to record them as missed, then just bring them in at night and leave them on your managers desk. Repeat as necessary. Keep giving the problem back to them until they choose to do something about it. They have the ability to solve the problem, you just need to provide them with the motivation.

To those of you who suggest that this driver just "walk the stops off"...get a clue. Read his original post. There are no shoulders on the roads, and nowhere to park. Backing into a private driveway (if its even possible in a P-1000) and "walking the stops off" means that the driveway is effectively blocked from access by emergency vehicles for however long you are suggesting that this driver go for his stroll in the woods. This also places the driver at risk from dog attacks or being shot by nervous homeowners who don't like unidentified people walking up their driveways after dark. I have driveways on my route that would take me half an hour to walk in and out of, is not feasible or realistic to expect that to be part of the delivery process. It is the company's responsibility to provide a vehicle that is suitable for the area being delivered. Period.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Put it on a hand truck and walk it off.

If you're not willing to do some walking to prove a point we can't help you.
Loading a 70 lb package onto a handtruck and dragging it half a mile through the mud in the dark is not a solution to the problem, nor is it a safe or realistic expectation.

8 Hour Day

If you cant safely make service on the packages and have been instructed not to swap them with another driver or to record them as missed, then just bring them in at night and leave them on your managers desk. Repeat as necessary. Keep giving the problem back to them until they choose to do something about it. They have the ability to solve the problem, you just need to provide them with the motivation...

... . It is the company's responsibility to provide a vehicle that is suitable for the area being delivered. Period.
That is exactly my thought, and exactly what I have been doing.

The "service failures," as they like to call them (missed packages), are the only things that have responded to. It is slowly working. We are only talking about four streets with maybe 200 addresses total. The two most common ones have been removed from my route.

One of the remaining ones is literally a mud path through the woods & maybe has one package a month. I just pull it prior to leaving & let them deal with it.

The other is still a work in progress. Monday, I had one stop on it... 147lbs. metal shelving unit for a garage. The driveway's approach angle is too steep even for a 700.

It rode around with me on Monday... Missed.

It rode around Tuesday in a 700... Missed.

Wednesday, it was left in the building by the driver with the 700...

Our PM supe said he and another supe delivered it in one of our minivans Thursday.

I *could* file a grievance over that. Lol

So, since they won't actually address issues until they're service failures, they turned what could have been delivered on time on the 1st attempt into 3 service failures. Yet, I'm supposed to be overly concerned with them...

Riiiiiight.

undies

How about a grievance concerning being provided with proper tools and equipment to do the job...well that can't work since you've been doing the work in the 1000!

8 Hour Day

How about a grievance concerning being provided with proper tools and equipment to do the job...well that can't work since you've been doing the work in the 1000!
Again... Haven't delivered to these addresses since being given the 1000. I'm not convinced some of you have read my post.

10 point

That is exactly my thought, and exactly what I have been doing.

The "service failures," as they like to call them (missed packages), are the only things that have responded to. It is slowly working. We are only talking about four streets with maybe 200 addresses total. The two most common ones have been removed from my route.

One of the remaining ones is literally a mud path through the woods & maybe has one package a month. I just pull it prior to leaving & let them deal with it.

The other is still a work in progress. Monday, I had one stop on it... 147lbs. metal shelving unit for a garage. The driveway's approach angle is too steep even for a 700.

It rode around with me on Monday... Missed.

It rode around Tuesday in a 700... Missed.

Wednesday, it was left in the building by the driver with the 700...

Our PM supe said he and another supe delivered it in one of our minivans Thursday.

I *could* file a grievance over that. Lol

So, since they won't actually address issues until they're service failures, they turned what could have been delivered on time on the 1st attempt into 3 service failures. Yet, I'm supposed to be overly concerned with them...

Riiiiiight.
Do you know that if you're parked in the right of way for ten minutes or more while you're walking off stops you are required to put out your triangles at the 10, 100,;& 200-500 foot placements at each stop? FMCSA requirements.

That could possibly be the ticket for winning your argument...

after you're 3+ hrs over and 20 missed.

Last edited:

8 Hour Day

An update...

Two other drivers, both more senior than me and one is a circle of honor guy, have now refused to deliver to some of the addresses in question. They both drive 700s.

There are still a couple of new guys who will park in the street, but they're rarely on either of the routes with the bad addresses.

I haven't been given these addresses in several weeks...

The circle of honor guy said he told our center manager he needs to put them in a mini van.

We shall see...