Adjusted pay for extra hours

NeroFMX

Hello everyone. After talking with everyone at work, I am getting a little nervous about how this is going to work. So for these high volume holidays, we are asked to come in 2 hours before our shift start, and it is not recognized on the time card. All the workers consistently talk about how they are always looking for a way to get extra hours out of the workers without paying, and I was advised to keep track of my hours myself to make sure I get paid for them. I had not read anything about this on these forums before I started, but it seems to be a big deal.

Any thoughts or suggestions on this? I have my hours all written down, I just don't know why I might have to hound someone for more money, it's not really something I ever do. I left my last job because I got a raise (more money meant more responsibility, I was already maxed out.)

You start working at whatever time your time card says when you're about to clock in in the morning. Don't fall for the 2 hour behind trap by management.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Your start time is automatically changed; however, if you end up 2 hours short bring it to your sups attention so that he /she can do a payroll adjustment.
There is nothing automatic about it.

I would only worry if you notice a discrepancy. The timecard system you use to punch in is one way. It sends the info to GTS, but can't receive information. So your totals will be screwed up for the week. If you have questions ask to see your timecard.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
If you were told to come in and start work 2 hours early....you should be paid accordingly. Talk to your FT sup....if They refuse to do a payroll adjustment and pay you for your time..talk to your steward and file. We do not work for free.....ever!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There is nothing automatic about it.

I would only worry if you notice a discrepancy. The timecard system you use to punch in is one way. It sends the info to GTS, but can't receive information. So your totals will be screwed up for the week. If you have questions ask to see your timecard.

Yes there is.

We were told that our start time yesterday was 0830 and our DIADs had been changed to reflect that change.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
Talk to your p/t sup at the end of your shift and verify that the adjustments are made. The p/t sups at the end of shifts goes and takes care of time cards.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
20151210_002003.jpg
Yes there is.

We were told that our start time yesterday was 0830 and our DIADs had been changed to reflect that change.
We punch on computers, not diads. Our start times are set in the computer based on the posted start times....we cannot change them. If I'm asked to start earlier on a particular day, my reg start time will still appear when I punch in. My sup will have to go into the system and change my start time afterwards.

And even after he does that....the total weekly hours will not reflect the edited punch, just like Frigid said earlier.

MendozaJ

Start times are not changed automatically. There is no HAL 9000. Someone has to enter them manually. Inform your sup of any error immediately. Be prepared to grieve. Some sups are more competent than others.

jaker

trolling
At my hub they are not allowed to punch in because they are starting at 10pm for preload , I tell them make sure you are keeping track because we know why

Notcool

Same thing happens here. My time is never right on the clock. Told to come in at 1pm and the clock is set locked at 2pm. Its an old system. The pters here always tell the sups to fix their time. An hour OT missing is a big chunk of change for some long timers. It gets annoying constantly having to remind sups every day.

Waste Manager

Take a pic with your phone, as you punch in..download to your computer,create a file...write in all down on paper..daily...make sure you follow up and hound them about the 2 hour thing..you have every reason to be nervous...

browner89

Remind your PT Sup every night what time you started at and document the times for yourself. Compare it to your pay stub online next Wednesday. Anything not correct report it and it should be fixed on the spot. That's how it works here. If they don't fix it, grieve.

Gear

Parts on Order
You'll find alot of paranoid employees saying paranoid things. Or just guys who hate the company but decide to continue working. When I started I was told by another mech that management will fire us for any reason. I asked when the last time a mech was fired, he said 10 years ago. Sounds alittle paranoid to me.

Do people get shorted on pay? Yes.
Is it on purpose? Maybe or maybe not. Keep track of your hours and report any problems. No need to get uptight.
Do people sometimes get overpaid? Yes
Does UPS take the money back? Maybe, maybe not.

Do your job, keep track of you time and talk to your steward. Be smart. Its normal for guys to complain about their jobs. But I must say, this is the worse Ive ever seen it.

browner89

You'll find alot of paranoid employees saying paranoid things. Or just guys who hate the company but decide to continue working. When I started I was told by another mech that management will fire us for any reason. I asked when the last time a mech was fired, he said 10 years ago. Sounds alittle paranoid to me.

Do people get shorted on pay? Yes.
Is it on purpose? Maybe or maybe not. Keep track of your hours and report any problems. No need to get uptight.
Do people sometimes get overpaid? Yes
Does UPS take the money back? Maybe, maybe not.

Do your job, keep track of you time and talk to your steward. Be smart. Its normal for guys to complain about their jobs. But I must say, this is the worse Ive ever seen it.

Every building is different, you work in one. Everything is all flowers and sunshine between hourlies and management here, nobody gets fired for any reason, let alone no reason, but knowing what I know about this company I don't doubt for a second that my building is the minority and 100% believe that these things happen in almost every big hub where there is probably less of a struggle to hire.

NeroFMX

Just wanted to update everyone. It seems our Hub Supervisor is definitely on it with this, so I am not worried anymore. On my first day we didn't punch in until after the training, so I was worried about that, and it was included in my paycheck today.

Everything is pretty sweet in my hub. I'm pretty comfortable there. Hopefully I get to stay.