Advancement at FE Express Memphis Hub

Hello! New Package handler here. I was wondering if it is possible to really move up after 6 months-1 year or if that is just crap they are feeding us. I'll earn my bachelors (possibly two) by the end of this semester and don't want to stay in this position longer than a few years. I am a hard worker, willing to work as a team player and bust my @$$ to get the job done.

FedEx is the best paying job I've ever had. I also work full-time at Wal-Mart during the day. Should I be less excited about the next few years of my life here?

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
Hi, and welcome. It is possible, but rare. The opportunity for advancement is only limited to management turnover and who is also putting in for the job. Your degree(s) is (are) definitely going to make it a lot easier though, particularly if they have an emphasis on business and/or management.

Just remember, without a work ethic that degree is nothing but an expensive piece of paper. If you take the time to learn the every facet of the job in your building, work safe, fast and accurate, always help the new guys...you'll move up. You seem like you have a good head on your shoulders, you'll do fine.

Be warned though, you're going to read some great and not so great news about FedEx on here.

fedex435

Hello! New Package handler here. I was wondering if it is possible to really move up after 6 months-1 year or if that is just crap they are feeding us. I'll earn my bachelors (possibly two) by the end of this semester and don't want to stay in this position longer than a few years. I am a hard worker, willing to work as a team player and bust my @$$ to get the job done.

FedEx is the best paying job I've ever had. I also work full-time at Wal-Mart during the day. Should I be less excited about the next few years of my life here?
Busting your @ss does nothing for you at this company. The biggest slackers will get the same, probably better, pay as the hardest workers. Taking pride in your work is great. Take your great work ethic and look for another company that will reward you for it.

GoodGrief

FedEx Corporate offices are in Memphis. With your education and drive (2 jobs and 2 degrees) you'll have great chances for advancement. A lot of people start out at the hub and move to professional careers from there. If you live in Memphis than you know FedEx is the place to work. Good luck.

Last edited:

jmeti000

Theres always opportunity to move up within the company (at least for now), and if not in memphis you are welcome to move around the country to try and do so. If staying with the company is what you really want to do, I would suggest you take a look at the AIM program and get started on in now (assuming management is what your wanting your next step to be). Best advice I can think to give you is just play the game with your current manager to get signed off on the program, tell them what they want to here in the interview, and when you become a manager dont spew the typical Memphis rhetoric like its gods word. You might get away with it on some, but a few of us with brains who actually use them will call you on it and arent afraid to do so. I personally much prefer a manager who has a pair and will say "look, this is whats been cooked up, it sucks and I dont agree with it like most of you, so lets just try and deal with it best we can and move on with our jobs" vs the typical "oh the engineers are gods, the force is with them, and they cant do wrong...hence, if they say something its impossible for it to be wrong" . Unless of course you do honestly believe the almighty word of Memphis, in which case if I run in to you I would most likely roll my eyes and walk away while avoiding ALL future conversations...and if you really irritate the ***** out of me I would work on transfer out ASAP lol.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Busting your @ss does nothing for you at this company. The biggest slackers will get the same, probably better, pay as the hardest workers. Taking pride in your work is great. Take your great work ethic and look for another company that will reward you for it.

Exactly. Move on to somewhere better.

Thanks all for the advice. I just completed my second night of non-con and I really liked it. Beats the heck out of Wal-Mart. At the same time, I can see a few reasons why the turnover is so high.

Also talked to my manager about getting 17.5 minimum, so I'll be doing some extra stuff starting next week. I'm a little sore, but I play rugby so my body is used to getting beat up. :)

Once I'm acclimated to the work environment, I'm hoping to get 30+ hours so I can leave Wal-Mart behind. This will enable me to focus more in my last year of school, free up some hours in my week, and perhaps look into grad school opportunities. Gotta keep my options open in case jumping ship after a few years is a better option- like some of you said earlier in the thread.

Thanks again.

Thanks all for the advice. I just completed my second night of non-con and I really liked it. Beats the heck out of Wal-Mart. At the same time, I can see a few reasons why the turnover is so high.

I talked to my manager about getting 17.5, so I'll be doing some extra stuff starting next week. A little sore, but I play rugby so my body is used to taking a beating. :)

Once my body acclimates to the work, I'll try to get 30+ hours weekly so I can leave Wal-Mart behind, focus more on my last year of classes, and maybe look into grad school. Gotta keep my options open in case jumping ship is the best option in a few years- like some of you mentioned earlier.

Thanks again!