Advice For A New Courier

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
The GPS in your Power Pads will show that you are at the drop box when you started scanning the packages and when you closed out the box. You are not closing the box out early----you are just getting ready so that you can close it out right at the commit time.

I just don't see what the issue is.
Don't forget the part where you demonstrate how to use a crosswalk!

soc151

express1.jpg

Advice for new courier: Don't do this.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
The GPS in your Power Pads will show that you are at the drop box when you started scanning the packages and when you closed out the box. You are not closing the box out early----you are just getting ready so that you can close it out right at the commit time.

I just don't see what the issue is.

We don't have GPS in our Powerpads.

dezguy

You do have GPS capability in your PowerPads, but you cannot use it. Management can track you, and I've seen several terminations based on PowerPad GPS data proving location at a certain time.

Yep. When we got the new powerpads we were told they were GPS equipped.

soc151

Yep. When we got the new powerpads we were told they were GPS equipped.

The scanners on the Ground side also have GPS equipped and enabled. Supposedly the only thing they do is lock out the ability to do anything on the scanner while the vehicle in motion. Only took me about a week to figure out how to disable it...

SmithBarney

We aren't supposed to scan packages before the pup open time. All it would take is a manager seeing you puping a drop box early to lose your job. We don't have a union protecting us.

feel free to track any one of the packages... they will all show the same pup time IE the time of the last package scanned and closed stop.

SmithBarney

The GPS is brutal on the battery.

Exactly, they tried using 'GPS' tracking to 'improve' route structure, only one problem, the PPAD only lasted about 3-4 hours. If you have a smart phone, unplug it, pull up the map, and then have it "follow" you... phone won't last long, even less if you could figure out how to have it send your location every few minutes.

MassWineGuy

I have an interview tomorrow for a pt courier job. The shift would be 3 pm to 8 pm, which I think is good (except for rush hour traffic).

Did someone post that FedEx expects 60 stops per hour? One per minute? How is that physically possible?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I have an interview tomorrow for a pt courier job. The shift would be 3 pm to 8 pm, which I think is good (except for rush hour traffic).

Did someone post that FedEx expects 60 stops per hour? One per minute? How is that physically possible?

No. They were joking. Are you giving up on UPS?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I'm sure someone like MT3 has those kinds of pipedreams. But when reality comes a callin' he blames the CRR's for going at a "Friday pace."

He'd have a massive stroke trying to do 10 stops per hour.

hypo hanna

Stops per hour should be set based on the route area. A driver in a single building in downtown Boston can do a lot more stops then one in the suburbs and one in the burbs can do more than one in a rural area.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Stops per hour should be set based on the route area. A driver in a single building in downtown Boston can do a lot more stops then one in the suburbs and one in the burbs can do more than one in a rural area.
Absolutely. I've done routes in rural areas where your next stop is over 20 miles away and I've done routes where you have 10 stops all within 3 floors of the same office complex. Upper management doesn't really have a grasp on out of town/extended area routes because they're only exposed to the big city and refuse to leave their comfort zone.

hypo hanna

Absolutely. I've done routes in rural areas where your next stop is over 20 miles away and I've done routes where you have 10 stops all within 3 floors of the same office complex. Upper management doesn't really have a grasp on out of town/extended area routes because they're only exposed to the big city and refuse to leave their comfort zone.
Exactly. I ran a rural route for three years. Not one check ride.