Advice for an old guy starting at UPS.

Hey guys,

I'm in need of a second career at age 40 and I've been a Loader for two months. No problem. I'm wondering if old guys like me can do this for 4 or 5 years and then become a driver. Any thoughts or concerns I should have about this?

Thanks.

upschuck

I have a friend that did it the same way you seek to do it. He knows that he won't get to high of pension when he retires, though.

jaker

trolling
All I can say is good luck hope you make it , for most hubs the driving list is about 8 to 10 years so you would be close to 50 then and a driving job will beat your body up badly

every guy I know that came in that late usually quit after a couple of years , me i would tell you do what you can to become a FT sup and ride out the finale years of your work life

S

serenity now

Hey guys,

I'm in need of a second career at age 40 and I've been a Loader for two months. No problem. I'm wondering if old guys like me can do this for 4 or 5 years and then become a driver. Any thoughts or concerns I should have about this?

Thanks.

It can be done; but only you know if you can do it.

Started driving at 44, still driving at 61. Nothing at UPS has ever come easy for me..........

PT Car Washer

Have seen it happen several times. Try to hook up with Saturday air and be a Seasonal driver next summer. Give you a good idea if this is really what you want to do. A lot of the younger guys either have a screwed up driver license or can't drive a stick or are too intimidated by the job to qualify.

barnyard

KTM rider
I started driving at 38 and am 49 now. It can be done, but it sure is not kind on the body. I am not talking about being in good shape, I am talking about the wear and tear on joints and tendons.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Hey guys,

Thanks.
sure, it's possible.....anything's possible. Just work safely and don't get hurt.

browndingo

They can be scarce, but there are other full-time jobs at UPS that are not as physically tough as driving. Some centers have full time car washers, porters, clerks, etc. The pay rate is not as high as driving, but overall UPS pays better than most companies for similar work. A guy at my center started as a part time preloader in his 40s and after a few years bid an article 22.3 job as a full-time insider. He shuttles air and washes cars. The stars aligned for him seniority-wise when the job opened up. It's different at every location as far as how quickly you move up the seniority list.

The non-driving full-time jobs are sometimes popular with veteran drivers who want to add some service time to their pensions and are willing to take a pay cut for a few years in a job that's nicer to their knees. So in some places they're virtually impossible to bid into from part time.

I was thinking more of driving the big rigs. Maybe that's harder than the package trucks or takes longer to get. Here in Columbus, Ohio they say it's about a 4 or 5 year wait. Thanks for the advice.

B

bowflex

This is my first job with UPS and I am 44 starting as a seasonal driver. My body is already broken down from years of bodybuilding and powerlifiting. The few weeks I have worked here made me decide to go back to school and get my masters. I was hoping to driver for 3 years learn the ropes and move to management. I cant keep up with the younger drivers so know I wont get called back after peak.

RockinRobin

We are ALL being WATCHED!
You already know loading is not a piece of cake. You've done it for long enough, and if you have no issues with your joints, back, tendons, or muscles from the repetitive stress, perhaps you can hang in there long enough to make it work for you. I've done it for quite a while. 4 or 5 years is a very long time with this kind of repetitive stress workout.

I'm not a spring chicken either, but I was in terrific shape when I started loading. Yet, it has worn on my body over the years. It's kept me in shape, but the wear and tear is not kind. However, unlike you, I have a full time job and only do it to keep fit. For me, I want some seniority so I am not constantly loading, but can do Pick-Off once in a while. Until then, it's a forced workout for me, with benefits, that I get paid for. Not much, but sure better than paying a Health Club for 1/2 the exercise.

I hope you can do it, as it sounds like you want to. Hang in there and hopefully, you will get that driving job you want. 40 is not that old any more. We have guys in their early 50's loading. And they are not that bad. A little slower, but they cut the mustard.

Good luck!

PT Car Washer

The sort aisle is a lot easier on your body. Some people are a bit intimidated by all the ZIPs to learn. After a week most sorters can do it in there sleep.