Advice for an old guy starting at UPS.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Stretching a lot and exercising help. At 40, you might be best suited to get any FT job, then bid into 22.3. It may take many years but the FT rate will be 30/hr+ by then. Current over 27.**

wayfair

swollen member
The sort aisle is a lot easier on your body. Some people are a bit intimidated by all the ZIPs to learn. After a week most sorters can do it in there sleep.

omg, this is sooo funny.... gotta prank for you guys.... pull off a PAL label, take it to ANY sup, and ask 'em where it goes...
hell, pull it off your own PC and ask!!

RockinRobin

We are ALL being WATCHED!
What's really amusing to me is "40" and "old guy". I guess at UPS a loader at 40 is old. In most places it is not. How does 39 sound? Still young? 40, old? Funny.

PT Car Washer

What's really amusing to me is "40" and "old guy". I guess at UPS a loader at 40 is old. In most places it is not. How does 39 sound? Still young? 40, old? Funny.
A loader that is 25 is old. I see a lot of 25 year old unloaders, but no 25 year old loaders. At least not after the first week.

Floridacargocat

You have to ask yourselves "why do I want to stay with UPS?" and what does your body tell you after a few months of exposure. Preload is hard on your body, driving is hard on your knees and back, stress is extreme for both activities. The mindset of getting a "high" pension only applies if/when you are able to achieve the necessary time for a pension entitlement. The more immediate benefit would be health insurance (applicable in function of all the by-conditions and by-laws for each region).
The manual part of the UPS distribution activities is very hard on the body, and you are exposed to the daily drill of safety, health and all the other points of awareness when you are representing UPS as a company. And you will have to separate "common sense" from the "UPS methods and standards and philosophy". UPS IE rules, and their spreadsheets will tell in "exact" numbers, what you are supposed to do within a prescribed time, no deviations.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
I started with ups at the age of 40 as a seasonal driver, worked preload for a year and made full time book as a package car at the age of 42 so yes it is doable.

B

bowflex

I'm in it so save some vacation money and get my ass back into the workforce. I figured if I can endure UPS for a few months an accounting job Would be a walk in the park. Any job for that matter would be cake after this. 14 days left until I turn in my brown for some peace and relaxation.

Sent from my SM-N900T using BrownCafe mobile app

PT Car Washer

I'm in it so save some vacation money and get my ass back into the workforce. I figured if I can endure UPS for a few months an accounting job Would be a walk in the park. Any job for that matter would be cake after this. 14 days left until I turn in my brown for some peace and relaxation.

Sent from my SM-N900T using BrownCafe mobile app
Sounds like a plan. The only thing that keeps a lot of drivers coming back everyday is the money. Not worth it to be miserable.

oldstagg

Hey guys,

I'm in need of a second career at age 40 and I've been a Loader for two months. No problem. I'm wondering if old guys like me can do this for 4 or 5 years and then become a driver. Any thoughts or concerns I should have about this?

Thanks.
I've seen guys in their sixties that could run the kids into the ground. depends on your outlook and conditioning.:biggrin:

RockinRobin

We are ALL being WATCHED!
I've seen guys in their sixties that could run the kids into the ground. depends on your outlook and conditioning.:biggrin:

Amen, brother. Agreed. I'm no spring chicken, but I'm in great shape, and I typically can load faster than most of the kids we bring in. Not always, but typically. I look at it as a paid workout and I want to get my money's worth. Plus, I am a team player, and I don't want to let my team down. This may sound trite, but it keeps my head on straight, gets me through hard shifts, and has kept my body in incredible shape.

Outlook and conditioning from applying yourself is important, IMO.

Thank you for pointing that out.