Advice for Feeder School

Pickles

A lot of tractors have plenty of power to drag trailers where the back wheels are locked. Any time it feels different, then chances are, something is wrong. Look in your mirrors, you'll probably see skid marks from locked up wheels. Or ask someone in the yard for a second set of eyes. Bottom line, if something doesn't feel right, get out and figure out what the problem is. Run that set by the shop. Cover your ass.

Nothing was dragging. Just seemed to be pulling a little hard.

I was told by another driver that while you are in the yard, pop it out of gear, if it rolls with no drag you should be good.

​Do you guys bungee down the red line on your dolly? I've seen a couple guys do it around here so now I always do it. I've only had one pop off once and that was on a swing door and I caught it right away.

I always check the trl roll both forwards and reverse. You'll be surprised at how fast a drum will corrode and stick in just a matter of hours sometimes in the right conditions. If its been wet I'll also make a lap and repeatedly ride the trailer valve just a bit to clean the brakes and cook the moisture out of the shoes.

pretender

I always check the trl roll both forwards and reverse. You'll be surprised at how fast a drum will corrode and stick in just a matter of hours sometimes in the right conditions. If its been wet I'll also make a lap and repeatedly ride the trailer valve just a bit to clean the brakes and cook the moisture out of the shoes.

I used to do that in the winter (especially early winter with heavy, wet snow) before spotting a trailer at a CPU account. It usually saved the next guy from having to crawl under the trailer with a hammer...

pretender

Nothing was dragging. Just seemed to be pulling a little hard.

I was told by another driver that while you are in the yard, pop it out of gear, if it rolls with no drag you should be good.

​Do you guys bungee down the red line on your dolly? I've seen a couple guys do it around here so now I always do it. I've only had one pop off once and that was on a swing door and I caught it right away.

Before heading out the gate, always find a spot in the yard with some incline/decline, and depress the clutch. If you have a long enough stretch, hit the brakes and see how quickly they release.

pharacyde

Just an update... I start my production run tonight. I'm really excited and nervous. So far, out of all the people in our class myself and one other guy are the only people left.

Guys are DQing themselves, one guy made it through production only to fail the DOT test. That kinda worries me. What is on the DOT test? Others have said there's a considerable amount of stuff on the DOT test that is never covered in UPS training. Like checking belt tension, the smoke stack and the lugs on the 5th wheel in pre-trip for example.

We also didn't spend hardly any time on backing. I do OK, but the backing part of the DOT has me worried.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Just an update... I start my production run tonight. I'm really excited and nervous. So far, out of all the people in our class myself and one other guy are the only people left.

Guys are DQing themselves, one guy made it through production only to fail the DOT test. That kinda worries me. What is on the DOT test? Others have said there's a considerable amount of stuff on the DOT test that is never covered in UPS training. Like checking belt tension, the smoke stack and the lugs on the 5th wheel in pre-trip for example.

We also didn't spend hardly any time on backing. I do OK, but the backing part of the DOT has me worried.

Production run? That's funny. I wish the supervisor who used that phrase could ride with me. We would have LOTS of fun.

A

anonymous6

your trainer should be able to tell you what you need to know for your dot test. heck the trainer at our hub is the dot tester. UPS training is actually some of the best in the world. ask more questions to cover all the bases. i'm surprised no one advised you to go to your local DMV to get a CDL handbook. that shows you what's on the test. ( or should )

trickpony1

Ask your trainer if you're supposed to park your tractor in neutral or the lowest forward gear when you take your DOT road test.
There seems to be some confusion about that.......

QKRSTKR

Ask your trainer if you're supposed to park your tractor in neutral or the lowest forward gear when you take your DOT road test.
There seems to be some confusion about that.......
Here safe start for dot test is vehicle in neutral, brake set , clutch depressed, check for oil pressure when it starts.

The dot test does cover a lot more and you should have a cdl exam booklet with all the stuff that will be on the test. Here backing was easy. 100' strait back, offset back left or right, not both, and either parallel park or alley dock. I got parallel park which will tighten your cheeks up a bit, but I swung it right in with only one pull up.

Pretrip is a lot different. Vehicle will be hooked already, and you pretrip tractor and trailer hooked up. Air bleed down is the same, but you have to call out the stuff, example, " low air warning light and buzzer at 65psi" . You also have to say tire tread depth is more than 4/32 on front tires, 2/32 on rear, check for condition, "no cuts bulges or abrasions, no cord or fabric showing,"hit tires with hammer or something, cannot kick them with foot.

Ask questions of your examiner. They should ask you if you have any question. I asked if we needed to chock the wheels checking for air leaks, no more than 3psi in a minute with breaks released, which means you have to have brakes off and your in neutral. Guy gigged me during pretrip for all slack adjusters, I said cannot pull out more than an inch but its an inch with brakes released, our brakes where set at this point but he wanted me to say no more than an inch with brakes released.

Good luck, hope this helps any taking dot test.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Not that I'm in feeder yet, but I've asked this question before and they all have said the same thing...memorize your pre and post trip. Feeder is 80% mental. Memorize which airline is what, know what the back up lines are, listen for air leaks. Don't get distracted while doing your pre and post trip and if you do get distracted...start over. One mistake will cost you your job, people won't get their ****e (which includes medicines), and it could cost you, someone else', or both of your lives. I'm memorizing the stuff now because I'm getting yard only certified soon so I can make that money and get some backing practice. Good luck!