Advice for Female

helenofcalifornia

4 women drivers in our center out of 55 drivers. One that tries to out do the men and is always telling other drivers how hard she works (and has been for 15 years), another driver who has been working about 10 and is chronically tired and calling in sick, another who is OK but just started out and has not really had the opportunity to break down yet, and me, who has broken down three times with times off from work of 3 months, 9 months and 11 months (and won't make it to a full retirement). We all have given up LOTS of time with our familes as have the male drivers. But I bet you we have more housework to come home to, homework time with the kids and laundry than most male drivers. Those facts haven't changed much throughout the years sad to say.

over9five

Staff member
Wow, Helen, kudos to you if you can help the kids with homework after work! When I get home about 8 - 8:30 every night, there is no way I can do that. I just can't think after a full day of parcelin'.

W

Woman FT driver

Go for it.
I am 5'4", 125 lbs, female, full-time driver on a heavy run with parcels up to 130lbs and driving a P5 (no power steering). It's not your age, it's how old are you in your mind? You are perhaps more capable than a lady 15 yrs younger? It's all up to you. If you believe you can,you will know how to convince the HR person that you can.

I am contemplating a part time job with UPS . I wonder if being female is going to be a problem. I am not a big women but I am pretty strong and in good shape. I play basketball and I snowboard in addition to other sports. Here's the thing that worries me I'm 43. I look about 10/15 years younger but I don't know if the HR person will look at me and say too small, too old, no way.......Any women out there working as a handler that can give some insight. If it matters I'm in the NY Metro area.