Advice for Lost Package Claims Process?

Tracking Number: 1Z 884 7F0 03 9476 483 6. The shipper has started the trace & provided all information. This package was scheduled to be delivered Dec. 24, 2008 & was listed as Out For Delivery. No delivery attempt was made & delivery was rescheduled for Dec. 26., still listed as OFD. The delivery has been rescheduled ever since & still OFD. Monday, Dec. 29 I go to Rock Hill UPS to inquire about delivery. CSR contacts delivery driver who says it's not on his truck. CSR tells me they don't know where the package is & to get shipper to put a trace on it. The shipper is on vacation until Jan. 4, hence the delay in starting the trace. I've been in contact with the CSR here in Rock Hill & she says that the last physical scan took place in West Columbia, SC. Says that the Arrival Scan here is a logical scan & explains that RH doesn't have a PAS system. She also tells me that the drivers enter the info for all packages into their DIADs as they go through their trucks each morning. If the drivers enter the info & the driver hasn't seen the package, how was it listed as OFD? On the same subject but from a different perspective, the shipper put two boxes together to accomodate this item & tried to secure everything with lots of tape. I hate that it was done that way but it is what it is now & I'm just hoping that the package will be found. Any advice, opinions or comments would be welcomed. Thanks.

drewed

Shankman
Its OFD because of the logical scan lets say trailer had packages 1-999 we unloaded that trailer so those packages have to be out for delivery got it?

Umm it could be a give it time thing, if it is "lost" theyll do everything possible to find it before they pay out on it, be persistant but be patient as well.

Drewed, thanks for the response. I get the train of thought behind the logical scan & OFD listing but I'm still wondering if the package made it to RH. Since it was physically scanned in West Columbia wouldn't the odds be in my favor that it made it into RH? The RH CSR said she's done a walkthrough & it hasn't turned up. She's also talked with their clerk & he hasn't seen anything that large (16"x16"x46") come through. She also spoke with the evening clerk who doesn't remember a package that size witout a label on it, nor one with my address. I received a package of similar dimensions on Dec.23 & another one on Dec.29. I know the song says two outta three ain't bad but I'd love it to be three outta three in this case.

drewed

Shankman
Odds are it made it to RH, since youve already made contact with the people there see if they contact the previous hub to see if it didnt make the trailer

P

pickup

old guitar player: given your name and the dimensions of your lost package . I just measured my 1969 deep bowl ovation guitar approximately 41" by 16" by "6" . Give a little more room for packaging and or case, you didn't by any chance ship a guitar?

Pickup, I'm the buyer. The seller shipped from Springfield, MO. It's an older (early 1980s) JB Player neck-thru Strat style with hardshell case. I've gotten guitars via UPS before without any problems but this seller packed a little differently than normal, if there is such a thing. He wrapped the entire guitar case, with the guitar in it, in bubblewrap & then put that into a "custom-made" cardboard box full of peanuts. I know he had the best of intentions but taping two boxes together to make one big box just doesn't strike me as the way to go. You've been enjoying that Ovation for quite a while if you bought it new. The old vintage ones are the keepers. I've got a buddy that has an Ovation but I think his is an early 1970s model. He loves it.

Drewed, in your first reply you've got lost in parentheses. Is that an "inside" thing, like packages never really get lost?

drewed

Shankman
Well lost isnt always the best word for it misplaced is a better one, most of the packages that do get lost are small ones, letters catalogs, books type thing not saying a package your size couldnt just saying while the size increases the likelihood it getting actually lost decreases

P

pickup

Pickup, I'm the buyer. The seller shipped from Springfield, MO. It's an older (early 1980s) JB Player neck-thru Strat style with hardshell case. I've gotten guitars via UPS before without any problems but this seller packed a little differently than normal, if there is such a thing. He wrapped the entire guitar case, with the guitar in it, in bubblewrap & then put that into a "custom-made" cardboard box full of peanuts. I know he had the best of intentions but taping two boxes together to make one big box just doesn't strike me as the way to go. You've been enjoying that Ovation for quite a while if you bought it new. The old vintage ones are the keepers. I've got a buddy that has an Ovation but I think his is an early 1970s model. He loves it.

actually old guitar player I am just a few more years older than that guitar. My father gave it to me when I was in my thirties. He was a professional guitar player when he bought it new and at that time his fellow guitar players distrusted the fiberglass shell that comprised the back of the body. They didnt trust something new but it stood the test of time and then in the 70s everyone wanted one. The beauty of this ovation is the deep bowl, ovation's deep bowl model today isn't as deep as mine and the deeper the bowl, the more acoustic amplification you get. My father,once he bought this,arranged to get the mics put in so you can plug in the same way you would an electric. It really is a beauty. In my opinion, there is nothing worse than a guitar in transit that is not in someone's personal possession. My father , when taking an airplane, always took it on board with him. Anyway, I feel for you man. You bought a nice guitar and you're wondering where it is. You got some good advice from drewed . Wait it out but it is odd that a piece that big has yet to be found. Good luck and happy picking.

Pickup, sounds like your father knew a good thing when he heard the old Ovations. They were revolutionary guitars for their time. Your Dad's a class act for passing it down so that you can keep her singing. My oldest son is just now taking up the "axe". Hope he sticks with it. Yea, I hate that this latest guitar wound up lost but hope springs eternal. Drewed sounds like he knows his way around & I appreciate & will follow his advice. Thanks.

stringerman85

I'm surprised that package went to Lenexa KS from Springfield and not to our hub at Earth City MO, especially since it was travelling in the east direction, usually we get a late Springfield truck at the end of night sort...There was a guitar that was missing from it's box around that time in december I think, On our sort, And it was strange because the guitar was sitting off to the side and I just happened to find the box which was located way across the building a couple hours later towards the end of the night, I put it back together, It's obviously not your box though :happy-very: But when I was reading this that was the first thing I thought of

Stringerman85, you don't happen to remember the destination of that guitar, do you? I'm sure it probably wasn't mine but maybe I could get my CSR to check to be sure. Thanks.

I got a call today from the seller who said UPS contacted him & said they will conclude the tracer tomorrow. The package hasn't been found yet. I contacted the RH hub to see what options are left. OMS contacted Loss Prevention & a rep will contact me tomorrow. The seller is committed to doing everything he can on his end & I refuse to believe that this thing just vanished into thin air. The last time I checked, the laws of physics were still in effect. And no, I don't want any "magic grits" that soak up boiling water faster than anywhere else on the face of the earth. Sorry, train of thought derailed. Any other advice? Drewed, pickup, ???

drewed

Shankman
If theyre contacting you theyve pretty much exhausted all their options...so Id say at this point it may have gotten lost, sorry bud

P

pickup

well oldguitarplayerguy, I was hoping the ending to this story would have been a happy one, but apparently it isn't going to be. I am really in no position to give advice as my job driving a tractor trailer keeps me from knowing the intricate details of loss prevention, etc. If I speculate on what happened to your guitar, I could offer 50 options, but one thing I would bet on is that it wasn't stolen (that would be nearly impossible , now an ipod is a different story . I won't speculate because it won't help. I know you made a commitment to this guitar by virtue of buying it and I'm sorry you will probably not get a chance to consummate the relationship. My apologies.

Leftinbuilding

Oldguitarplayer, make sure your CSR checks with "overgoods". I would hope they have already checked by now, but you never know. ("Overgoods" is where we send articles that have become seperated from their packaging.)

Leftinbuilding, the CSR told me she had checked with overgoods but my item isn't there. When I spoke with her Monday she said she could keep the tracer open on her end until Jan. 19th but she would have to close it then. No reason was given & I don't know if there's some sort of time limit on tracers or what. Do you know if the overgoods location for this area of the country is in Missouri? I thought I saw somewhere on the 'net that there is one in Virginia but I may be mistaken. Thanks for the help.

rod

Retired 22 years
Why do I get the feeling that overgoods has sooooooooo much stuff they don't have a clue what they really have. I saw a picture once of just the tires that they had in one warehouse. There were hundreds of them. After they keep the stuff for awhile don't they sell it for pennies on the dollar to some place that has a web site like ebay? It's like bargainland.com or something like that. If you Google "overgoods" it comes up with a bunch of stuff---encluding some old posts on Brown Cafe