Advice for unload sup

RolloTony Brown Town

Been a unload sup for less than 2 months, any advice?

Show your guys how to do the job and what you expect. Treat your employees with respect. Tell them what they do well so they keep doing it. Correct the poor behaviors. Have meaningful conversations. Don't finish too many doors at the same time. Have accurate 5 minute and down calls. Easy peasy.

Hellobrown2000

I see bad things for your future like, regret, questions like why did you take the supervisor job, would it have been better to start at a lower rate with an hourly position, you didn't have to sleep with that girl at last call.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
  1. know the methods by heart (these are written in Standard Practice Manuals, you should have a printed out copy for your type of work) and put your most effort into training each new-hire correctly in those methods
  2. when you see other hourlies not following the methods, don't just shake your head and walk by, step in and correct them instantly
  3. if people are late, discipline them every single time until they correct their behavior or get fired
  4. do these things firmly but politely, don't be a jerk
if you can do those things without fear or hesitation, you'll be a manager within 5 years guaranteed

beyond that, if you have questions about the methods, job setup, or how anything works in general that your direct manager can't answer, find out who your local IE is and shoot them an email about whatever; they will find someone with an answer

J

jibbs

I know a center manager and an on road that were unload supervisors.

The last unload supervisor in my center (well.... like 3 or 4 unload supervisors ago) managed to get back into the union and become a driver.

They BS'd him into taking the supe position by telling him it'd be easy to go from union to management back to union, and then they stuck him at PT supe for like 3 years until he finally got to put on a driver's uniform.

So I don't really have advice, @ptsup , I just wanna let you know that there is hope for you if you ever get fed up with being a supervisor. Just don't let HR (or anyone in management that you don't trust) lie to you about potential job advancement. If you don't know for sure, they're probably just blowin' smoke your way.

One of my old sups said that too. When I walk past the trailers, I better see asses and elbows. I better not see any eyes.

Lol, considering who posted that, I took him to mean something reallllyyyyyy different than your interpretation. It makes sense, though, I've just never heard that one before in the building.

Last edited by a moderator:

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Buy the shifter a coffee & donuts everyday,, this will make for a great relationship and a great planned end of day !!!!