Advice Needed

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I'm pretty sure the inheritance tax is "only over a certain amount....like the first $500,000 isn't taxed.....but I'm not sure what the exact amount is....too early here to be Yahoo-ing!
My hubby is going through this right now. CA. He can receive up to but not over 10K/yr and not be taxed.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Here are a couple of off the wall ideas to avoid taxes... You could give them the money as a "loan" that she would use to pay off the mortgage on the property. Then you take back a principle only trust deed on the property. Leave the trust deed to her as sole and separate property in your will. Then if in the future she ever splits up with what's his name he wouldn't get 1/2 of your money.

or

Interest rates are low and money is cheap right now so she could lock in these great rates with a fixed rate loan and then you could just pay her rent like any other tenant would. Since she wants to buy additional units maybe you could buy a second unit jointly with her, or just be the bank and finance the second unit using the proceeds from your condo. Then you could manage the units for a discount on your rent.
Interesting idea. :happy2:

It would definitely have to be a bride from another country. That way when she bitches him out in her language he can just interpret it in the manor he likes.

"%^&*& ^ %^%* *(#$ $^ &%^&*&!!!!!"

"Gosh, thanks honey I love you too!"

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I like this kind of thread dealing with real life issues. Those of us with children are all winging it when it comes to day to day decisions. Tossing out questions and listening to the feedback is helpfull. My kids moving on with somewhat of a clue will be my greatest achievment, albeit with much investment on my part.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I spoke with my daughter last night. They do want me to come down and live in the townhouse after I retire but that making the kind of commitment that I was thinking of doing would be foolish. A lot can change in 7 years and if I am still in the position where the proceeds from the sale of my condo would be surplus funds maybe I will take advantage of the gift tax deduction and help out both kids. Or maybe I will invest it and live off of the interest.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I spoke with my daughter last night. They do want me to come down and live in the townhouse after I retire but that making the kind of commitment that I was thinking of doing would be foolish. A lot can change in 7 years and if I am still in the position where the proceeds from the sale of my condo would be surplus funds maybe I will take advantage of the gift tax deduction and help out both kids. Or maybe I will invest it and live off of the interest.
There ya go. Your daughter has a head on her shoulders, she learned well from her dad.:happy2:

I think AJ had a great point, too. No sense in burning the bridges completely. You never know what life is going to throw in your path.
:wink2: