advice needed

Mitty

Hello there.........

I just started working for ups in the UK and they have had me loading (tetris)

Im loading 3 feeds on my own after 4 days and am finding it very difficult.

I am only 5.8 and did consider myself as pretty fit and strong but im actually scared
if i continue doing this i could seriously injure myself..

i dont think id fair any better at the unloading but i do see people sitting up on the belt directing the packages into the lorry..... what is this called?

any advice on what to do is welcome... i dont want to leave but i really do think i could seriously injure myself doing this 5 days in a row.......

anonymous4

They are pick-offs and it is a more senior position. Your problem can be found here : "Im loading 3 feeds on my own". The solution is to slow down.

Mitty

its crazy, the manager i had my interview with told me people leave after a few days...... i mean surly that would be a sign to start people off slower or how about rotating the diffrent positions there so if ure doing the heavy stuff one day the next ure doing something less strenuous.... theres also people sorting small packages into bags.... if i tell the manager im finding it hard i guess theyll get rid of me.... i mean i can barley reach the top of the lorrys even with the steps.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
its crazy, the manager i had my interview with told me people leave after a few days...... i mean surly that would be a sign to start people off slower or how about rotating the diffrent positions there so if ure doing the heavy stuff one day the next ure doing something less strenuous.... theres also people sorting small packages into bags.... if i tell the manager im finding it hard i guess theyll get rid of me.... i mean i can barley reach the top of the lorrys even with the steps.

Have you reached senority? If they have that over there that is. This the union there strong or as weak as it it here. The brits dont have the Euro, but I was asuming their union should be pretty strong.

Over all, work at a safe pace. This is first, above all things. I've know guys now and in the past that always claimed to be of great athletic backgrounds. Yet, to be left in the dirt and grime hubs and centers provide. Athletics are something of a joke, they are spealized in their own fields. It does help one in this job, especially preload, but it only goes so far.

Protecting yourself is and always will be first. Work a decent pace and always watch what your doing and what is and will be coming. ESP, attained while working here, is always a good gift to have as well.

Mitty

I would like to slow down the pace a bit but i have a guywatching over me at all times and im aparently meant to load and scan 300 per hour.

laffter

I would like to slow down the pace a bit but i have a guywatching over me at all times and im aparently meant to load and scan 300 per hour.

A few good questions were asked before. You should answer them if you want useful advice.

In the States, UPS employees attain "seniority" after 30 days of employment. Once you have seniority, you are in the union, and you cannot be fired for production alone. Does it work the same way over there?

Another question was, do you have a strong union in the UK?

loadfaster

No quitting, man....I've been at it for a month and a half, I'm a female and 5 foot 4. YOU CAN HANDLE THIS. Gotta buck up a bit, son...it gets easier, I swear...

Macbrother

I am less than 5'4" and weigh less than a lot of the packages, yet I loved unloading.

I could imagine liking unloading more than some.. less pleasant aspects of jobs at UPS.. but actually loving unloading in and of itself.. now that is impressive, indeed.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I could imagine liking unloading more than some.. less pleasant aspects of jobs at UPS.. but actually loving unloading in and of itself.. now that is impressive, indeed.
It was a great job. Not to mention, it was an awesome workout. (I am really starting to love my abs, something I noticed in the feeder)
Compared to the rest of the jobs I have done at UPS, I did love unloading.