Advice on Feeders

QKRSTKR

I've been over for 6 months and am finally starting to sleep better. One thing I under estimated was how hard it is to sleep during the day, black out curtains and all. We are made to sleep when it's dark out. I have a 2 pm barrier that's hard to get by. No matter what time I go to sleep I usually wake up by 2pm. I wish I could do what cove master says but I'm so tired when I get home it's tough to stay up. I use to work preload back in the day and can't remember how the hell I got to work half the time.

Drac. Said it perfect, dark lonely highway at 4-5 a.m . Is tough, no matter how much sleep you get. I'm not as tired as I have been in the past, but it can still be tough.

Sleep if you need to. As one guy was saying last week, a 10 min. Nap means nothing to anyone who doesn't drive a truck in the wee hours. I have stopped and slept for 10 mins on my break and wake up a new person. You can't understand it till you do it.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
An aside for shift-work schedules (aka 2nd/3rd shift): studies have shown going directly to sleep, instead of staying awake through the early or even later morning, to be the far better option for sleep and health.

UPS or any major global 24/7 company does not want people to know that shift-work leads to circadian rhythm disruption and a huge jump in heart disease and stroke, among other serious health risks.

Notice there's never any talk about this with their safety jargon and bombardment of pamphlets.

pretender

I've been over for 6 months and am finally starting to sleep better. One thing I under estimated was how hard it is to sleep during the day, black out curtains and all. We are made to sleep when it's dark out. I have a 2 pm barrier that's hard to get by. No matter what time I go to sleep I usually wake up by 2pm. I wish I could do what cove master says but I'm so tired when I get home it's tough to stay up. I use to work preload back in the day and can't remember how the hell I got to work half the time.

Drac. Said it perfect, dark lonely highway at 4-5 a.m . Is tough, no matter how much sleep you get. I'm not as tired as I have been in the past, but it can still be tough.

Sleep if you need to. As one guy was saying last week, a 10 min. Nap means nothing to anyone who doesn't drive a truck in the wee hours. I have stopped and slept for 10 mins on my break and wake up a new person. You can't understand it till you do it.

I had the same problem when I worked that shift--I could not keep my eyes open when I got home, so I went right to bed and was awake at 2pm. I decided not to fight it, and just took a nap before leaving the house in the evening. I actually spent most of my time on mid to late afternoon runs, so I could keep a somewhat normal sleep schedule. However, you are sacrificing family time, so it is a trade-off.

To the OP--You mentioned that you are in NC, so you do not have the severe winters such as the Midwest. Even so, I don't think you have any business on the road until Spring. Your best bet, if possible, is to work in the yard for a few months, so you can get familiar with the equipment and working nights.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Working nights in feeders is very stressful and you get a different kind of tired than pre load, Yes before I get shot down,I did preload ! You are constantly on edge on the road trying to be aware of your surroundings and especially the snow in winter, if your too tired, call in !!! Get your self in a constant sleep pattern and don't break it!!! The consequences could be horrendous unlike a mis load or missing pkgs on the pre load !! Good Luck OP we all went through this!!