AED Device at facilities

iamupser

Grease Monkey
I notice Automatic External Defibrillator devices everywhere I go (schools, church, airplane). I know of 1 person who has died at UPS and the Teamsters wrote to UPS about getting them installed and train personnel at Louisville Worldport (does anyone know if they ever got them).

trickpony1

The company doesn't want to revive a stricken person because that person then becomes a liability and a risk.
It's easier, cheaper and more cost effective to just let the person die.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
That has got to be the stupidest thing I have yet to read on this forum.
Not necessarily. Odds are that anyone having a heart attack would be an older person. It is a known fact that UPS would like to get rid of the older service providers and bring in young guns. Consider the money they would save on wages and benefits for years to come.

bellesmom

wouldnt you need training to use it? what happens if someone uses it on someone they should not have used it on?

The instructions are easy enough to be followed and allowed in schools, airports, malls etc. Our building has had 2 workers suffer heart attacks in the last year, luckily both survived. One was told it might not be the place to work after recovering, the other came back and quit soon after with 17 years for the workload not being adjusted to accomodate. So..2 high seniority gone one way or the other.

UPSGUY72

I reckon that covers it. I work with some lugheads that I would not want anywhere near me with one of those things.

The problem is that you need to be train yearly how to use them. If someone that wasn't trained used one on a person and the person died the family would have said that UPS was at fault for not having enough trained people for the equipment.

iamupser

Grease Monkey
Good thing worker comp laws protect the company from lawsuits...There are also good samritan laws on the books.

Teamsters recommended it to UPS after Worldport mechanic suffered cardiac arrest.

I think AED is automatic in that if you don't need it, it doesn't administer pulse.

People can nay say all they want but if it saved your life, you'd probably feel different.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
wouldnt you need training to use it? what happens if someone uses it on someone they should not have used it on?

AED stands for "Automatic External Defibrillator." The computer is programmed to monitor the persons heartbeat (if any) and deliver the correct voltage as needed. If the persons heartbeat is normal, it wont work. It is designed specifically for use by untrained people to keep a victim alive until proper care arrives.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I will agree that it is stupid. Unfortunately, it is also true.
Post could have been worded differently but I agree with you that there could be an underlying truth behind it.
We have a DM in our local that has stated on the record that she would like to get rid of all the service providers sucking up 7 weeks of vacation a year!

iamupser

Grease Monkey
WOW, my 1st neg rep, thanks UPState! That I actually have to TRY to make a point about an invaluable 1st Aid Device speaks volumes for what side of the fence people are on here.

I've got an idea for everyone who doesn't like the idea, sign a "Do Not Resuscitate" form and we'll let you to die in peace!

In all seriousness, after talking with the deceased's wife, I can tell you she and his daughter would have liked UPS to have 1 of these :[

CRASH501

Not necessarily. Odds are that anyone having a heart attack would be an older person. It is a known fact that UPS would like to get rid of the older service providers and bring in young guns. Consider the money they would save on wages and benefits for years to come.
WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR INFO?
I am an EMT and have seen and worked MI'S ( heart attacks ) on people as young as 20-30
DO YOUR HOMEWORK a new A.E.D. is less than 2000 put 1 in each building and the first time its used successfully you have covered the cost of every single one installed NATIONWIDE!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

WOW, my 1st neg rep, thanks UPState! That I actually have to TRY to make a point about an invaluable 1st Aid Device speaks volumes for what side of the fence people are on here.

I've got an idea for everyone who doesn't like the idea, sign a "Do Not Resuscitate" form and we'll let you to die in peace!

In all seriousness, after talking with the deceased's wife, I can tell you she and his daughter would have liked UPS to have 1 of these :[

I am all in favor of AED devices being in as many locations as possible. You received your first negative rep for your comment that the company would prefer to let the employee die just to save a few bucks.

iamupser

Grease Monkey
I am all in favor of AED devices being in as many locations as possible. You received your first negative rep for your comment that the company would prefer to let the employee die just to save a few bucks.

I guess if you walked a mile in my shoes you might understand

MobileBA

Our local has a grievance going to National on this issue prompted by a cardiac related death at our building. I also believe that they are utilizing state resources to hopefully get AED devices located at building. Sometimes the wheels of justice moves slow. The refusal of corporate to install these really reinforces my belief that they believe in "HABITS", H-Health and T-Tools. AED's Tools to Stay Healthy(Alive).