Affirmative Action

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by moreluck, May 25, 2010.

1. moreluck

moreluck golden ticket member

Remember Affirmative Action ?? The jobs in your company had to reflect the percentages of different races in your city. Just one question.......Did the U.S. Congress & Senate have Affirmative Action ?? If not, why not??

2. bbsam

bbsam Moderator Staff Member

Because they are elected.

3. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

What is the record for shortest thread?:wink2:

4. moreluck

According to Aff. Action....doesn't matter. Companies had to conform !! All of the U.S. had to conform. Why should they be exempt ?? We are always having things rammed down our throat, but congress is exempt....like the health care too.

5. moreluck

It's not gonna be this one !!!!!

6. moreluck

Supposedly, the U.S. is 65.3% white. The House is 81.8 % white and the Senate is 88% white.

7. moreluck

It's hard to pigeon hole some people.....like Barney Frank. He comes under Male, White and GLBT. That's Gay, Lesbian Bisexual and Transgender.

8. trplnkl

trplnkl 555

Next election vote of a minority?

9. bbsam

So would you prefer to have your choice of candidates rammed down your throat as well?

10. moreluck

No, I was just wondering why we're ruled by things and congress isn't.

11. Jones

Jones fILE A GRIEVE! Staff Member

How are we ruled by affirmative action? As far as I know the courts have pretty consistently ruled against the use of racial quotas.

12. moreluck

H.R. people had no choice !! (trust me on that). They had to do the affirmative action thing OR ELSE!!

13. trplnkl

trplnkl 555

At one time AA was the rule of law, but you are correct that is no longer the case....at least not like it once was. I think Moreluck is referring to the past practice that AA forced. UPS still has racial quotas(at least a few years ago this was true in our district) in hiring, but self imposed more than by any law.

14. bbsam

Actually, one of the 12 traditions states quite clearly, "AA has no opinion on outside issues, hence the AA name should never be involved in any public controversies.":wink2::peaceful:

15. trplnkl

trplnkl 555

No idea what you are talking about. 12 traditions of Affirmative Action? Never heard of them.

16. bbsam

Oh that AA! I thought you meant Alcoholics Anonymous.

17. trplnkl

trplnkl 555

OOOOH.. I wouldn't know anything about that.

18. Lue C Fur

Lue C Fur Evil member

Ask Klein...he might know about that...he knows everything.

19. unionman

unionman New Member

At least he's a happy drunk, unlike yourself, always getting your butt kicked in bars.

20. Lue C Fur

Lue C Fur Evil member

I dont go to Bars...you have to drive home afterwards., plus its to expensive with good beer at 3 to 4 bucks a pop. Its better to get a 12 pack of St. Pauli Girl Dark or Bitburger and invite some friends and do some grillin...much cheaper and much safer for everyone.

:bbq: