after 18 years of service i was terminated today

Indecisi0n

Most of us take breaks when we want to and some take there lunch in the building at night before they punch out. Taking lunch at night helps management by not having to put in split runs. Taking breaks out of contract windows allows driver to use the time if they got a phone call they needed to answer or other personal matters. Management has never put up a fuss because whats the differnce if you take a break in the 1st hour or 4 hour. 10 minutes is 10 minutes who really cares if its not done "exactly" by the book. They rather you use this flexable time to take a break then yap on the phone on there time.

The contract states these specific time windows to ensure the employee gets them. That's all.

How can adults be so stupid?

'Lord Brown's bidding'

If everyone in a center took there breaks and lunches on the road every center would have to add 1-2 more routes per building. fact!

We'd like to think that...Here's what will really happen:

We'll piss of customers, who will vow to stop using UPS, try the other guy (the one who wasn't a threat back in '97, and not as much one in '02 and '07). In the meantime, for damage control, UPS will hire more drivers....and the price of doing business with UPS goes up. Between the pissing off of customers (who we'll blame management for), and the ever-increasing price gap between brown and purple, UPS' business goes into decline. Soon, not only that rookie we fought so hard to get a job as driver is gone not just out of driving, but the hub and UPS, some of us who fought for him will be gone as well. Nevermind, with their fascination with metrics, if one takes his lunch between 12-1 or 6:30-7:30, if he is coming in over 9.5. or over 10 they WANT to stop that and will. It's time to pay attention to the elephant in the room when talking about "getting as many drivers hired as we can". UPS IS hiring drivers; they will continue, no matter how many skip their lunches, provided growth is still there. People start doing their best to sabotage the operation to make a point, and they may HAVE to stop hiring.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Please do not offer help services on these pages. Try the private message feature, unless they do not recieve private messages, such as spammers.

Omega man

We'll piss of customers, who will vow to stop using UPS, try the other guy (the one who wasn't a threat back in '97, and not as much one in '02 and '07). In the meantime, for damage control, UPS will hire more drivers....and the price of doing business with UPS goes up. Between the pissing off of customers (who we'll blame management for), and the ever-increasing price gap between brown and purple, UPS' business goes into decline. Soon, not only that rookie we fought so hard to get a job as driver is gone not just out of driving, but the hub and UPS, some of us who fought for him will be gone as well. Nevermind, with their fascination with metrics, if one takes his lunch between 12-1 or 6:30-7:30, if he is coming in over 9.5. or over 10 they WANT to stop that and will. It's time to pay attention to the elephant in the room when talking about "getting as many drivers hired as we can". UPS IS hiring drivers; they will continue, no matter how many skip their lunches, provided growth is still there. People start doing their best to sabotage the operation to make a point, and they may HAVE to stop hiring.

Following the contract is not sabotage or making a point. What you don't understand is that you are not allowed to violate our agreement to do what you believe is accomodating customers or yourself. It is up to UPS to take care of their customers by operating in a way that does.
Actually, people who do not take their lunch when planned by our contracts hurts the customer because the result is fewer routes, and fewer drivers to take care of those customers. The result is that delivery times become highly variable and pickup compliance goes down.
All you are required to do is come to work each day, follow UPS' methods, follow your contract and go home. Let UPS worry about the customer.

Robert Treloar

18 years and dont no what to do???? spare me the (bs) because thats what this post is. ooohh i was treated bad after 18 years hey bud your lucky it took 18 years my nasty treatment started abot 18 minutes into it. i think you should RESIGN. BECAUSE WE NEED PEOPLE WHO ARE GONNA STAND UP AND FIGHT FOR THERE WRIGHTS ,

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
I got fired for basically not taking my lunch break either, all for the good of getting everything delivered.

Like you, I didn't stick around in my building afterwards, and instead had a cold beer during my after hrs time.

Oh well, no big deal - hope they found another slave to work without breaks !

After all these years, some had forgotten or let go of the fact that you was drinking on your "Lunch break" and the fact that there are so many new Cafe members that didn't have a clue you were so mad to get fired for drinking on the job "you professional driver".

You just had to pull that one back outta the closet for all 2 C.

Another prime example of why drinking is bad for people:

Ex. 1 - It can and will get you fired.

Ex. 2 - It can kill enough brain cells to cause a Canadian to repeatedly humiliate himself.

We need to shift this over to the dumb reason why drivers get fired thread. (Refering to Klienstien)

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner

Are you arguing against taking Lunch during proper time periods? I don't give a crap bout the list of excuses. Taking lunch @ end of day to meet service expectations is not Lunch, it's "Dinner" and last I recall we don't get a dinner break!!!!

If you are defending putting in a Lunch and loosing 1/2 - 1Hr pay while working threw it, Well you don't want to me to post my true comment on the cafe for that one cause it would have alot of this $#^%%$#@ and alot of *s*, A**h*le,*i**h,**c*,mot*er******,**** ,that and that is just not appropriate.

It is management's responsability to properly dispatch employ enough bodies to provide service. No if's, ands or BUTTz!!!!

I see alot of cut routes and not many opens up!!!! So , were's the effort, I see guys leaving building b4 start going home with browns on!!!
It is not just our contractual right but also there are State & Federal LAWS to back us up and I'm sure those of us with a little creative thinking and intellect can use the very tools that management uses against us BACK on Them in a subpenea of all data records including telematics to proof that we are being pushed due to commit times and dispatch to not have the ability to take breaks!!!!!

We are under D.O.T. so these claims would be pretty serious allegations and cause alot of attention to numerous Lawyers wanting that big show case. Many fired UPS drivers are out there and I'm sure they would be willing to join in on a class action!!!

Just imagine, the very Data they use against us could be our own most powerful tool against them if they were to fire the wrong Driver with an open mind and time and will power to go for it!!!!!

18 yrs is alot of data and I'm sure the dispatch on you was increased dramatically from Yr. 1 till know. That is proof enough. There has to b enough proof in there to show your limited ability to take breaks and work under D.O.T. hrs. which violates D.O.T. Union contract, ALONG with State and Federal laws!!!!!

Even if not the same rt for the 18 yrs. there is data on that rt for the past 18 yrs.A subpenea can make it show in court.