After 6 and some change years....

browniehound

I will gladly saw off my legs before that happens. Being on preload for 13+ now, i make enough in my five hours that i dont feel i need to start working 9, 10, 12 hours a day or more. Thanks, but i like my life too much to make that kind of change over the almighty dollar. Would the money help? probably. But hey, i got my raise today........

And you must live in your mother's basement. I know I don't know you but the following can be deduced from the above statement:
A: being a preloader for 13 years puts you at a minimum age of 30 since you must be 17 to work at UPS, but you are probably older than that.
B: Unless you are married to a hot, wealthy model you can not pay rent, food, car payment, gas, cable, electric, oil, ect working 5 hours per day at $16 per hour.

So please enlighten this UPS driver who is squeaking by working 47 hours per week at $27.14 per hour. How does one make a living working 4.5 hours a day at the preloader payrate?

You can't live at home forever. As you probably already know, chicks don't dig you...

dillweed

Interesting stuff here. Our center manager says that no one can move from a skilled position to unskilled, even taking the dollar pay cut. Many people who have busted butt for years would give their eye teeth to have one of those easy jobs. We even had a gal who was pregnant and wanted the PAL position but they made her go on leave instead of letting her work through.

They hire in new people for the SPA and data aq jobs, people who will not handle heavy packages at all. Between trailers they just stand and yak, play on their cell phones or stare into space. No one tells them to help the person next to them or do any tape-ups. Some are little ornamental girlies with daisy duke shorts but others are big, muscular guys who seem pretty happy to SPA while some little slip of a gal grunts along unloading trailers. :mad:

Our center seems determined to get the people they want into certain jobs and make up eligability requirements as they go along. A year or so ago I asked the center manager for details about an early AM position on the board and he told me how much work it would be and would have to do this and that and all sorts of things. Gosh, I decided I didn't want that position because it involved some pretty heavy lifting. Turns out the gal who got the job doesn't have to do lots of those things. However, she's not happy with the job and wants out of it. Very stressful without the added work.

Excuse the rant but it just doesn't seem right, must be a UPS thing. I have a good job and am lucky to have been put there, never asked for it.

btw, no shame in working part time. Many of us have obligations to ageing parents, young children or other things that make part time a great opportunity. With the insurance and other benefits there's no pt job that could be better. dw

Fnix

And you must live in your mother's basement. I know I don't know you but the following can be deduced from the above statement:
A: being a preloader for 13 years puts you at a minimum age of 30 since you must be 17 to work at UPS, but you are probably older than that.
B: Unless you are married to a hot, wealthy model you can not pay rent, food, car payment, gas, cable, electric, oil, ect working 5 hours per day at $16 per hour.

So please enlighten this UPS driver who is squeaking by working 47 hours per week at $27.14 per hour. How does one make a living working 4.5 hours a day at the preloader payrate?

You can't live at home forever. As you probably already know, chicks don't dig you...

16x5 = $80 per day
80x5 = 400 per week
400x4 = $1600 per month

You dont know what his expenses are so we'll use an example.

Rent for 1 bedroom apartment = $750
Utilities = $200
Gas = $150
Car insurance = $100
Food = $100

We are at $1300 now which leaves him with $300 for whatever.

Now lets say he just rents a room and hes a roommate. Then his rent would be about $500 and his utilities would be paid for. Not everyone has a huge car payment and is making $600 car payments. He most likely has a paid for car. I can live forever off $1600 per month. $16 an hour @ 5 hours a day is the same as $8 an hour @ 10 hours per day. I know single mothers who have raised 2 kids off of $7 per hour working 7.5 hours a day.

toeknee2gx

16x5 = $80 per day
80x5 = 400 per week
400x4 = $1600 per month

You dont know what his expenses are so we'll use an example.

Rent for 1 bedroom apartment = $750
Utilities = $200
Gas = $150
Car insurance = $100
Food = $100

We are at $1300 now which leaves him with $300 for whatever.

Now lets say he just rents a room and hes a roommate. Then his rent would be about $500 and his utilities would be paid for. Not everyone has a huge car payment and is making $600 car payments. He most likely has a paid for car. I can live forever off $1600 per month. $16 an hour @ 5 hours a day is the same as $8 an hour @ 10 hours per day. I know single mothers who have raised 2 kids off of $7 per hour working 7.5 hours a day.

so when the :censored2: hits the fan, they only have 300 dollars left over?? sounds like crap @ 30yrs old... and the single mothers are stupid for having kids and making $7 per hr...Poor Kids....These people are losers , stop trying to justify their laziness. The biggest exception in this case would be if they were college students. Then I can understand.

preloader

Bleeding Brown from ears
Ouch! Attacks being made. Dont be angry, ill be happy to explain all of my life to you.

First off, im 34 years of age, and i make $18.27 pre-raise per hour.

Secondly, I own my own home, which i have less than 5 years that remain to be paid. ($436.78/month for 10 years which was $38,000 minus $2000 down at 8% interest)

Third, im happily married to a woman who does not need to work, but has recently decided to go back to college.

Fourth, and i must applaud you for getting one right, i do indeed own my own cars.

Fifth, I have had an etrade account for about 12 years now, and i have done fairly well with Exxon mostly (mostly in the past 2 years, granted) I also hold a substantial physical amount of both gold and silver, which should you be so industrious would show that ive done well in that area also.

As for bills, dont have many really. I do not have a single credit card, i have only the house as an outstanding debt, I do not have a cell phone, cable tv, high speed, or any of the other niceties so many have while sinking into debt.

Furthermore, i intend to be retired within 7 years. I could be so bold as to continue to explaining basic finances, but, you probably wouldnt understand anyway.

and worse yet, that house i bought for 38k in the sticks has become a very popular area for housing here in florida and currently have an offer from my next door neighbor ( which would complete a five acre parcel to avoid paying any property taxes with an agricultural exemption) at $175,000.

so yeah, ill keep my lil part time scanning job thanks

preloader

Bleeding Brown from ears
Well, i see my last post was pulled for my defending myself, so i ll post again.

Lets see

First im 34 and i make $18.27/hr pre-raise to stand there and keep myself from sweating beeping packages.
I own my own home with less than 5 years remaining ($38,000 over 10 years with $2000 down at 8% = $436.78/month) which now has an offer of $175,000
Im happily married to a woman who does not need to work, nor is she wealthy, however she has decided recently to go back to school for her degree
Heyyy, you got one right......I DO own my own cars! WTG!
Lets see, i do not have many bills really, as i do not have a cell phone, car payment, cable tv, or even a single credit card. Yet, without these bills so many are happy to have while drowning in debt, ive managed to hold an etrade account for over 12 years (mostly exxon and walmart) and have physical ownership of quite a substantial amount of gold and silver.

I plan on retiring in about 7 years. Maybe we can talk about fixing some of your financial mistakes, that is of course if you can handle taking advice from a lowly part timer.

preloader

Bleeding Brown from ears
Well, i see my last post was pulled for my defending myself, so i ll post again.

Lets see

First im 34 and i make $18.27/hr pre-raise to stand there and keep myself from sweating beeping packages.
I own my own home with less than 5 years remaining ($38,000 over 10 years with $2000 down at 8% = $436.78/month) which now has an offer of $175,000
Im happily married to a woman who does not need to work, nor is she wealthy, however she has decided recently to go back to school for her degree
Heyyy, you got one right......I DO own my own cars! WTG!
Lets see, i do not have many bills really, as i do not have a cell phone, car payment, cable tv, or even a single credit card. Yet, without these bills so many are happy to have while drowning in debt, ive managed to hold an etrade account for over 12 years (mostly exxon and walmart) and have physical ownership of quite a substantial amount of gold and silver.

I plan on retiring in about 7 years. Maybe we can talk about fixing some of your financial mistakes, that is of course if you can handle taking advice from a lowly part timer.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

westsideworma

brownie we have someone at our hub on the preload shift making 28+ an hr pt (not kidding) a few others making 22+. considering we get about 27hrs a week on that shift lately...its easy for some who are smart with their money to live off of that. I'm not endorsing it, I'm just saying its possible. When I'm in school UPS is my only job since I have classes at different times everyday. I am still able to buy food, make my car/insurance/phone/rent payments and still have spending money. Its not easy sometimes but I manage as well and hardly feel like I'm roughing it.

#1angelfan

i work another part-time job. i live in california where everything costs a fourtune. i am waiting to get a combo job. have been with ups 9 years. just moved to small sort after preloading 9 years. i loved my drivers and they loved me, but had to do what was best for my knees.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
i work another part-time job. i live in california where everything costs a fourtune. i am waiting to get a combo job. have been with ups 9 years. just moved to small sort after preloading 9 years. i loved my drivers and they loved me, but had to do what was best for my knees.

You get that combo job yet?