After my 2nd day of preloading I..really need tips.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
That load would be completely unacceptable in my center.

Like someone else said, that picture is every other truck in my building. But didn't you also say you do about 600 pieces a day with the college having a lot of those? You're gonna tell me you fit that much in one truck without loading in the aisle?

Brisket

Ok so this is what I've gathered so far. Load the bulkier stops to the rear, utilize the shelf space and put the stops in order, stop using the crayon/marker..

How do I load the bigass boxes towards the end of my loads? (Sorry I forgot what they're called).

The guy who was training me just left me hanging after our shift ended and I still had a :censored2: ton of those huge boxes to load. Thankfully another kind preloader gave me a hand.

I just really need and want to be a good preloader. This :censored2: is making me anxious. I don't want drivers to hate me. :anxious:

You would probably want to take the bulk up towards the front of the truck ( leaving just enough room to get a hand cart in the front door), and load by PAL number lowest to highest THEN any extra RDL , RDR or RDC ( If you have a min, it's always good to let the driver know which stop you loaded LAST so they have an idea where they need to start FIRST).

They will appreciate it.

I would continue to use the marker while you are on probation period

Always ask your Sup which they would like you to do especially in your 30 days.

Coalminer2005

I tell my loader to treat the packages like a hot potato. Get the package loaded quickly and safely and keep moving your feet. Once you get backed up its overwhelming and Supervisors will act like they don't even see you and send you no help.

golden child

Easiest way is pull the PAL label and put it on the side of the pkg facing center of the truck. The crayon is redundant and dumb. I've got two hands to carry my pkg but I need to carry a crayon to copy info that's already on the pkg? Pull the PAL--no more dropped pkgs or crayons (tripping hazard!) and I'm faster.

PT Car Washer

Easiest way is pull the PAL label and put it on the side of the pkg facing center of the truck. The crayon is redundant and dumb. I've got two hands to carry my pkg but I need to carry a crayon to copy info that's already on the pkg? Pull the PAL--no more dropped pkgs or crayons (tripping hazard!) and I'm faster.
Why is it so easy for the preloaders to pull the PAL sticker but when I try to remove the sticker from the bar code half the label comes off.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There are hubs/centers that print the PAL directly on to the package.

pkgdriver

There are hubs/centers that print the PAL directly on to the package.

Our center has had the imprinters for 4-5 years.
ups_hp_imprinter_1.jpg

Cementups

Box Monkey
This was my load on Friday. The was after I got to my first stop. When I got in my truck at the building, I could walk through it. My loader(s) refuse to lip load and this is what happens. No hard turns, just a leisurely drive to my area on the highway.
Note that, the six largest boxes in the front are for a bulk stop that is PAL'ed 6970. That is not 6970, that is FL1. There is also a NDA for that same stop that was PAL'ed 1030 but yet, once digging through everything, was found under a dozen or more house stops under the 8000 shelf. That white and red box on the back on the top right was PAL'ed 2700, but yet it's all the way in the back. Half my load was like that. It's like they loaded so much and then said friend-it and just started putting things where they saw fit or where it fit. Worst day I've had in a long, long time.

W

What The Hawk?

This was my load on Friday. The was after I got to my first stop. When I got in my truck at the building, I could walk through it. My loader(s) refuse to lip load and this is what happens. No hard turns, just a leisurely drive to my area on the highway.
Note that, the six largest boxes in the front are for a bulk stop that is PAL'ed 6970. That is not 6970, that is FL1. There is also a NDA for that same stop that was PAL'ed 1030 but yet, once digging through everything, was found under a dozen or more house stops under the 8000 shelf. That white and red box on the back on the top right was PAL'ed 2700, but yet it's all the way in the back. Half my load was like that. It's like they loaded so much and then said friend-it and just started putting things where they saw fit or where it fit. Worst day I've had in a long, long time.

I'd work my non existent balls off to make it at least acceptable to the driver. That's the preloaders job. I know each driver is different and will change things around but my job is to please the driver, put things on the right shelf in proper order and get zero misloads as i understand it. Did you report the preloaders?

PT Car Washer

Looks to me like you need to have a serious talk with your preload management team. If you can find them after the last package has left the last trailer. Their job is over, it is the driver and Center's problem now. Clear the belts and close the back door and out of the building.

PT Car Washer

I'd work my non existent balls off to make it at least acceptable to the driver. That's the preloaders job. I know each driver is different and will change things around but my job is to please the driver, put things on the right shelf in proper order and get zero misloads as i understand it. Did you report the preloaders?
You do not work for the driver. You work for your PT sup, who works for his FT sup who works for his preload manager, who works for the Center manager, who works for the Division manager, who works for the District manager. And a few more in there that I overlooked. Do you really think you wanting to make a difference means anything? Just throw the boxes in the truck and get it out the door.

W

What The Hawk?

You do not work for the driver. You work for your PT sup, who works for his FT sup who works for his preload manager, who works for the Center manager, who works for the Division manager, who works for the District manager. And a few more in there that I overlooked. Do you really think you wanting to make a difference means anything? Just throw the boxes in the truck and get it out the door.
I know the drivers arent my boss but they are the ones who tell the sups how im doing sometimes and can make things much harder for me if they don't like my work. I've heard differently though. Depends.

Cementups

Box Monkey

"Reporting the preloader" is a fine line to toe. You never want to rat on another Teamster. But at the same time you want things to be made right.
In this case, I don't know who my loader was this particular day. So I let my sup know (with said picture) of my displeasure of my load quality. I think they also knew by my having one air late and I NEVER have air late. What they do from there is on them.

JLennea

I've done several jobs for UPS including driving. I've driven package cars, and I've driven rentals during peak. I'm currently OMS.
I hope you're joking. If not, that's a terrible attitude.

We all work toward the same goal. Getting packages delivered on time in a safe manner, while providing the best customer service possible.

With people like you, that common goal becomes disrupted, and causes issues for everyone involved.

For example, I was driving a rental budget truck a couple of years ago during peak. Rentals are a beast compared to package cars. You can't find :censored2: if your loader doesn't make an effort to try to keep everything in cohesive piles.
I got this :censored2: one day
image.jpeg

Stacked top to bottom, front to back, side to side. And litterally thrown everywhere. I had 1000s with 7000s, RDR time commit bulk stops clear up in the front of the box burried under all this other :censored2:. I had to sort my truck every few stops to even attempt to get those RDRs out in time. And had to continue to sort my truck the rest of the day. I ended up needing two other drivers to help bail me out so I could make my commercial pickups before end of business.

Throwing :censored2: wherever and not caring wastes everyones time. If you can't do your job the way you're supposed to, then find a different job.