After Qualifying For Retirement , Did Your Attitude and Blood Pressure Change?

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
The only stress on this job really once you have been doing it for a while is, driving in ice and snow but isn't even that bad because you drive like grandpappy and freak whatever don't get done, aint my problem, theres always tomorrow lol.

Overall, I'm calmer about the job. My problem is the DOT physical. White coat syndrome to be specific. Started with hearing problems, but I can see lots of people having bigger problems with body mass issues, sleep apnea, arthritis in knees and hips, etc. DOT is hell bent to find anything they can to kill your career. And if you are young and smoke, forget it. You're wasting your time here. You'll never see retirement.

I can leave later this year if I want to. It's a good feeling.

rod

Retired 22 years
I can honestly say that up to and including the last week I worked the company was still trying to get me to go faster. Maybe if I had given them an exact departure date it might have been different but I doubt it. I honestly don't think they know how stupid they sound with their constant "go faster" BS that spews from their pie holes on a daily basis. Its like a stuck record that everyone ignores.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
I was in the gym yesterday and heard a guy talking to a woman about how his job kept him from drinking too much. He went on to tell her that once he retired, he began getting hammered every day and turned to AA for help and found it. I could understand how not having anything to do after working can de a detriment.

Johney

some of the guys at work say that things get much easier after they have qualified for retirement. they are more laid back, managers tend to leave them alone, their blood pressure goes back to normal.

sounds like heaven.
Just getting into feeders did all that, can't imagine what retirement will do.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I was in the gym yesterday and heard a guy talking to a woman about how his job kept him from drinking too much. He went on to tell her that once he retired, he began getting hammered every day and turned to AA for help and found it. I could understand how not having anything to do after working can de a detriment.
im gonna drink everyday , get my pot medical card, dance everynight, sleep late , and be a burden on society "genuine example of a social disease."

Packmule

Just getting into feeders did all that, can't imagine what retirement will do.
I always say a prayer of thanks that I never went into feeders when yet another blizzard has trapped them out on the highway in the middle of the night. Package driving sucks in winter but I've never yet not made it home.

oldupsman

im gonna drink everyday , get my pot medical card, dance everynight, sleep late , and be a burden on society "genuine example of a social disease."

No you won't. You'll feel so much better about life you're going to want to live a long and healthy one.
I'm going to suck up as much of that pension that I can. Honestly, I'm in better shape now, 7 years after
retirement , than when I was working. No more back pain, no more knee pain. Regular workouts in the gym.
You'll have all the time in the world to do whatever you want. It's a great feeling.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
No you won't. You'll feel so much better about life you're going to want to live a long and healthy one.
I'm going to suck up as much of that pension that I can. Honestly, I'm in better shape now, 7 years after
retirement , than when I was working. No more back pain, no more knee pain. Regular workouts in the gym.
You'll have all the time in the world to do whatever you want. It's a great feeling.
thanks for the encouragement.

can I still smoke and drink if I want to, Dad?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I have always had very high blood pressure , something in my family tree, but the DOT doctors always overlooked it .
However vertigo ended my driving rights .

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I have always had very high blood pressure , something in my family tree, but the DOT doctors always overlooked it .
However vertigo ended my driving rights .
why did the drs overlook your high BP??? that does not make sense and they weren't doing you any favors.

Johney

I always say a prayer of thanks that I never went into feeders when yet another blizzard has trapped them out on the highway in the middle of the night. Package driving sucks in winter but I've never yet not made it home.
Fortunately where I'm at that is not a problem.

Packmule

Hope I have your dicipline when I retire. I'm worried I'll become the biggest slug ever lived just because I'm so sick of being disciplined enough to show up for work everyday.

oldupsman

Hope I have your dicipline when I retire. I'm worried I'll become the biggest slug ever lived just because I'm so sick of being disciplined enough to show up for work everyday.

Some of that discipline won't go away. It took me years, and I mean years, to stop waking up at 530. I still can't
sleep past 700. Snow storm coming. I still check the weather, check the weather, check the weather. Wake up at 4 in the morning
after a snow storm and gotta go out and plow the driveway before work. Oh wait, I don't need to do that anymore. I still
go out and do it anyway. You survived at UPS because you had a work ethic. It won't go away. People with a work
ethic are cursed with it for life.

downtime8763

Last five years or so I took an inside 223 job but kept driver certified as I took trucks,diads,pkgs,to drivers as well as at ran some ares at Christmas to lighten some drivers up.Retirement IS great as I work pt for my Township as well as for a local farmer. Make a food run on some Fridays for a couple of food banks and FISH when it warm,drink coffee when its cold! Worked 35yrs360 days turned 55 in Feb 1st and retired March (2011)