After the Election...ON TOPIC.

BrownArmy

This election has jumped the shark.

Whether Clinton or Trump wins, either half of the populace will be disappointed, feeling like the country is going to 'hell in a handbasket'.

It used to be, if your team lost, come the days after the election, Americans would come around and support the new President.

I don't see that happening this time - the rancor on both sides is at a fever-pitch.

As a nation, we're going to have to figure this out.

The partisanship is killing us.

Any thoughts?

Ghost in the Darkness

I think either side can put up with differences and dislike for the other. I see the biggest problem coming from infringements and encroachments on our Constitutional Rights... that is where the line is drawn. The bigger a government gets the more control it wants. I think there are more than enough Americans who recognize the warnings throughout history to know if you don't or won't stand up for your rights, you eventually won't have any.

rod

Retired 22 years
I don't think it matters who is elected. Hard working Joe Schumk will still get crapped on in the long run and the ranks of the "Entitled " will continue to grow.

542thruNthru

It's like sports now. Everyone makes excuses for their team when they do something wrong. They will vote their party no matter what.

No one wants to work with the other team because they don't want them to do something that might work and look good.

Indecisi0n

I totally agree it's almost unreal. This has to be the worst erection I ever been through in all my years. Hopefully it's the last.

BrownArmy

I think either side can put up with differences and dislike for the other. I see the biggest problem coming from infringements and encroachments on our Constitutional Rights... that is where the line is drawn. The bigger a government gets the more control it wants. I think there are more than enough Americans who recognize the warnings throughout history to know if you don't or won't stand up for your rights, you eventually won't have any.

Both sides agree.

Both sides are trying to stand up for their rights.

I'm saying we need some ground-level consensus about a basic functioning government.

Forget topics like abortion, let's agree that we need a functional infrastructure, etc., which logistically entails a functioning government.

It blows my mind that we can't come to a common consensus that we should have functional roads and bridges.

That should be non-partisan, no?

rod

Retired 22 years
I remember when Kennedy was elected President (I was in 7th grade I believe) and many people thought it was the end of the world because "one of those damn Catholics" got voted in. Little did we know he wasn't a seriously practicing Catholic. He turned out to be one of the biggest womenizers ever.

BrownArmy

If Clinton wins, a lot of people will lose their mind.

Same with a Trump win.

Come November 9th, it's going to be a [emoji20]-show, either way.

I hope we pull it together as a country after the fact.

Ghost in the Darkness

Both sides agree.

Not true. Hillary doesn't care about the Constitution, she wants to push her views on everyone as the law of the land. She wants to tell you how to raise your children, because she thinks she knows better.
So many issues in this country can and should be handled at the state and even more so at the local and county level. But like I said when governement gets too big at any level, it looks for and finds more things to control. If we want to remain a free democratic nation then we need to preserve or Constitutional rights and keep government small and remind it that its there to serve us, not to rule us.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Not true. Hillary doesn't care about the Constitution, she wants to push her views on everyone as the law of the land. She wants to tell you how to raise your children, because she thinks she knows better.
So many issues in this country can and should be handled at the state and even more so at the local and county level. But like I said when governement gets too big at any level, it looks for and finds more things to control. If we want to remain a free democratic nation then we need to preserve or Constitutional rights and keep government small and be there to serve, not to rule us.
Don't buy into that BS man.
The constitution is open for interpretation. That's on purpose, if you don't like it blame the writers. She has a "liberal" interpretation of it, which I don't agree with for the most part. However, pretending there's only one view of the constitution just makes you look misinformed.

Ghost in the Darkness

Well its survived so many years without a changed interpretation. I think the difference is some of us truly want to live in freedom, and some of us just want to be children all their lives. Thats why even in a democracy, people get conditioned to think they need to be told what to do. Giving up your rights is a one way street, once you give them away you won't get them back. Furthermore the big government that took them will continue to impose its will. Maybe you should wake up and realize the end game of globalism, its not a utopian society. Its an anaconda, pin one arm, then another... pretty soon you can't move. Spinless people like you let it happen without even putting up a fight.

BrownArmy

Well its survived so many years without a changed interpretation. I think the difference is some of us truly want to live in freedom, and some of us just want to be children all their lives. Thats why even in a democracy, people get conditioned to think they need to be told what to do. Giving up your rights is a one way street, once you give them away you won't get them back. Furthermore the big government that took them will continue to impose its will. Maybe you should wake up and realize the end game of globalism, its not a utopian society. Its an anaconda, pin one arm, then another... pretty soon you can't move. Spinless people like you let it happen without even putting up a fight.

You're editorializing, and you're not 'on topic'.

Back to the point of the thread, one of these idiots is going to win, and I feel like the next election will be much the same: hyper-partisanship, with no end in sight.

BrownArmy

Meh.

ON TOPIC.

Both of us have an interpretation of the Constitution.

That's not the point of this thread...there are other threads where you can pontificate about your Constitutional ideas...go find them.

This thread is about what happens the day after the election, and how both sides reconcile the ramifications of their success or loss, and how we go forward as a nation.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Well its survived so many years without a changed interpretation.
Could have stopped reading right there. Open a book. Get back to me.
Thats why even in a democracy, people get conditioned to think they need to be told what to do.
Exactly. You're told to oppose the other party. You do it.

This is what will happen after the election, just like it did after the last one. Gridlock. Unless the Trump effect is so strong that the ripple gives the Dems full control, in which case, god help us all.

Last edited:

Ghost in the Darkness

I vote for who I choose... America has lost its way in its values and morality. I'm not a fan of politicians in general. The democrats for the most part are morally bankrupt and the republican party these days has followed along and in many cases is just as bad. Trump isn't a very good option but you put him next to Hillary he looks like a saint... thats pretty hard to do I might add. Of the four of them, Pence is the only one that is even close to representing my beliefs and values. Hillary is a criminal and has been for years, and a traitor to our country. I know the values this country was founded on and the God they recognized, you can argue that all you want in vain... facts are facts. Do want to live free, or be a child your whole life? Don't bother answering because I already know exactly what you are.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I vote for who I choose... America has lost its way in its values and morality. I'm not a fan of politicians in general. The democrats for the most part are morally bankrupt and the republican party these days has followed along and in many cases is just as bad. Trump isn't a very good option but you put him next to Hillary he looks like a saint... thats pretty hard to do I might add. Of the four of them, Pence is the only one that is even close to representing my beliefs and values. Hillary is a criminal and has been for years, and a traitor to our country. I know the values this country was founded on and the God they recognized, you can argue that all you want in vain... facts are facts. Do want to live free, or be a child your whole life? Don't bother answering because I already know exactly what you are.
And in your mind, if you vote republican, you will "live free".... and if you vote democrat, you will "be a child your whole life"?

I'll tell you what you're gonna get from this election. More of the same.
If it's from your party's candidate you will find excuses to love it, and if it's from the other party's candidate you will bitch and moan like republicans have done for the past 8 years.

You're going to get exactly what you deserve either way. I weep for the future.

BrownArmy

Again, you're not ON TOPIC.

You're having a conversation that is outside the parameters of this thread.

I don't give a '*' about your ideas etc.

Care to answer the existential question I posed?

No?

Of course not.