age and physical condition of the driver

I GOT ONE MORE

Has anyone heard of success with a grievance with the following article?

I mean, if you are in your late 50's and are being beat down from too many stops or pieces, can one file for a little relief?

​Please just answer the hypothetical and leave the retire or change routes out of it. Thanks.

Article 37 Management-Employee Relations
Section 1.
(a) The parties agree that the principle of a fair day's work for a fair day's pay shall be observed at all times and employees shall perform their duties in a manner that best represents the Employer's interest. The Employer shall not in any way intimidate, harass, coerce or overly supervise any employee in the performance of his or her duties. The Employer will treat employees with dignity and respect at all times, which shall include, but not be limited to, giving due consideration to the age and physical condition of the employee.

Has anyone heard of success with a grievance with the following article?

I mean, if you are in your late 50's and are being beat down from too many stops or pieces, can one file for a little relief?

​Please just answer the hypothetical and leave the retire or change routes out of it. Thanks.

Article 37 Management-Employee Relations
Section 1.
(a) The parties agree that the principle of a fair day's work for a fair day's pay shall be observed at all times and employees shall perform their duties in a manner that best represents the Employer's interest. The Employer shall not in any way intimidate, harass, coerce or overly supervise any employee in the performance of his or her duties. The Employer will treat employees with dignity and respect at all times, which shall include, but not be limited to, giving due consideration to the age and physical condition of the employee.

That just means they wont call you a fat old fart when they smile and send you out with 12 hour loads.

I've seen it argued out. Works best with a good steward and an employee willing to go the distance and take it to the DOL if need be.

Indecisi0n

If you can only do 80 stops and they give you 125 you should only be doing 80. Slow down and work within your own pace.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I have been wondering the same. I have ra in my hands, they are becoming knarled, especially my pointer fingers. My knees hurt constantly, as do my ankles. I am fortunate to have the low step, or I would be done already. The only thing that is not feeling pain is my back,. for that I am grateful.
I have been fighting their standards for years, but I suddenly realize while not slow, I dont move like I used to. I move like a normal person moves.
Getting older is not fun. I refuse to admit, but it slaps me in the face. Especially with the constant rain we have had, and I wont even mention the carpal tunnel.......................

Indecisi0n

I have been wondering the same. I have ra in my hands, they are becoming knarled, especially my pointer fingers. My knees hurt constantly, as do my ankles. I am fortunate to have the low step, or I would be done already. The only thing that is not feeling pain is my back,. for that I am grateful.
I have been fighting their standards for years, but I suddenly realize while not slow, I dont move like I used to. I move like a normal person moves.
Getting older is not fun. I refuse to admit, but it slaps me in the face. Especially with the constant rain we have had, and I wont even mention the carpal tunnel.......................

We all feel the pain but most choose not to talk about it.

I GOT ONE MORE

Ok, certainly appreciate the responses. Even the derisive ones. Maybe some more details will help.

My route is 100% commercial and I've been on it for over 15 years.
About 80 stops (400 pieces) which are really not a problem. The 35 pick ups (400-1000) are the monster. It was not so bad at one time, but companies have moved in and many ship heavy items. I have calculated I handle over 5 tons each day.
I actually run into containment issues 2-3 each week. This has been going on for months.
Frankly, I am burning out. I am just trying to consider my options.

PEER 80 is still 2 years out and I have tried other routes.

I have tried asking for help from management to no avail. Hence, please refer to my first post in this thread.

I really just want to know if a grievance likes this stands a chance, since I am running out of recourse.

Indecisi0n

Ok, certainly appreciate the responses. Even the derisive ones. Maybe some more details will help.

About 80 stops (400 pieces) which are really not a problem. The 35 pick ups (400-1000) are the monster. It was not so bad at one time, but companies have moved in and many ship heavy items. I have calculated I handle over 5 tons each day.
I actually run into containment issues 2-3 each week. This has been going on for months.

I have tried asking for help from management to no avail. Hence, please refer to my first post in this thread.

I really just want to know if a grievance likes this stands a chance, since I am running out of recourse.

If you keep getting the work done nothing will change. Why would it because you ask for help?

Of those heavy shipped items do you request help for every over 70lb package. Maybe they could spread the heavier pickups across several drivers. Worse comes to worse slow down. You can't hump bulk like you can envelopes. Work accordingly.

Thank God the "flipping off other driver" fingers still work ok. :funny:

I GOT ONE MORE

If you keep getting the work done nothing will change. Why would it because you ask for help?

That is the point, the work does not get done without help.

And asking for an adjustment seemed to me to be the right thing to do,

BEFORE filing this grievance, that may or may not have a shot.

Hence, my question still remains,

​Will the grievance work?

Possibly yes. Possibly no. Depends on the strength of your steward, BA, and local.

We had an employee here, a former driver now working on the inside, be told that since his position was eliminated he had no choice but to displace the most junior employee at the building. Those positions are in the unload. The former driver with 37 years in, late 50s in age, rightfully felt he should not have to work the unload with respect to his physical condition. It took a steward going to and badgering the division mgr to get him into a position more appropriate.

Your representation may or may not be as effective, hence my first response to your question. There's also the need on your part to be willing to pursue what avenues you may have to to assist.

mixyo

Dispatcher
i load for a driver who's gotta be in his 50s at least. i dont know how he does it. he's actually out on injury right now.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
When I bought up this part of the contract with a former dispatch supervisor, he just laughed and told me to use my seniority to bid on an easier route. After 29 years full time, I'm already on one of my Center's gravy routes for sixteen years; they just keep throwing more stops on it. We are all just numbers with dollar amounts on a ledger somewhere, and nothing more. The sooner anybody reading my words recognize this, the better off their peace of mind will be.

I GOT ONE MORE

Please do not get me wrong.

I have no problem working hard and earning my keep.

It has just has reached a point where my body is having an issue maintaining pace.

If just one or two pick ups of significance were removed, I would thrive.

Think about the numbers I posted earlier.

There is not ANY manager who could keep up. And perhaps, with respect, many of you.