age and physical condition of the driver

Not whining, but it was a thread about age and physical ability. I was jus sayin..... Although I am older and it hurts more, I am much better than many people my age who haven't done for 29 yrs, the type of job I have.

I always tell the cocky noobs, You might see an old dog but I'm a dog smart enough to get old.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Im thinking bout taking some time off in feb. I think i have a torn labrum or a hip inpingement in my hip. Its def from this job. Most guys on this job are hurt in 1 capacity or another im sure. Some may know they have an injury and some may not. Alot of people wont take time off because they cant afford to. This is exactly why i keep stressing to many workers to get the aflac. I dont understand what drivers dont understand, that this job is going to break you down physically. Your going to get hurt whether you take your time and even if your careful doin this job. Thats a given. Your bodies not made to do what this job wants you to do. 165 bux a month to protect you and your family so you can finish this marathon isnt much of a sacrifice when your making 32 bux an hour. Its not rocket science ladies and gentlemen. Give it a thought to those of you that are working in pain or have nagging injuries right now as your doing this job.

Indecisi0n

Im thinking bout taking some time off in feb. I think i have a torn labrum or a hip inpingement in my hip. Its def from this job. Most guys on this job are hurt in 1 capacity or another im sure. Some may know they have an injury and some may not. Alot of people wont take time off because they cant afford to. This is exactly why i keep stressing to many workers to get the aflac. I dont understand what drivers dont understand, that this job is going to break you down physically. Your going to get hurt whether you take your time and even if your careful doin this job. Thats a given. Your bodies not made to do what this job wants you to do. 165 bux a month to protect you and your family so you can finish this marathon isnt much of a sacrifice when your making 32 bux an hour. Its not rocket science ladies and gentlemen. Give it a thought to those of you that are working in pain or have nagging injuries right now as your doing this job.

Why get Aflac? My first call after I get hurt is to my lawyer. Trust me ill make up for lost time and some.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Depends on what route your willing to go with it i guess. I just wanna get paid while im sitting home reccoperating after surgery. So i can pay my bills

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Has anyone heard of success with a grievance with the following article?

I mean, if you are in your late 50's and are being beat down from too many stops or pieces, can one file for a little relief?

​Please just answer the hypothetical and leave the retire or change routes out of it. Thanks.

Article 37 Management-Employee Relations
Section 1.
(a) The parties agree that the principle of a fair day's work for a fair day's pay shall be observed at all times and employees shall perform their duties in a manner that best represents the Employer's interest. The Employer shall not in any way intimidate, harass, coerce or overly supervise any employee in the performance of his or her duties. The Employer will treat employees with dignity and respect at all times, which shall include, but not be limited to, giving due consideration to the age and physical condition of the employee.

Let me try and help you with this one. After reading this whole thread....

I understand why you focused on the highlighted part of that language. But, it needs to be within the context of the whole article.

Your personal situation is nothing new. What you need to know, is the intent of the language.

Unfortunately.... you can't take half a sentence, to mean what you want.

That just means they wont call you a fat old fart when they smile and send you out with 12 hour loads.

I've seen it argued out. Works best with a good steward and an employee willing to go the distance and take it to the DOL if need be.

A paper trail, is the most effective means.

Slow down and work within your own pace.

Follow the methods. They are your friend.

Frankly, I am burning out.

PEER 80 is still 2 years out and I have tried other routes.

I have tried asking for help from management to no avail.

Bottom line.... you are pissed because management won't help you. And now.... call in the cavalry.... the Union.

Of those heavy shipped items do you request help for every over 70lb package ?

Nope.

The work does not get done without help.

So what ? It's not your company.

If just one or two pick ups of significance were removed, I would thrive.

That's really the issue.

I was trying to point out that I am younger and in shape but with todays dispatches I am still getting smoked.

In less than 3 years ?

I always tell the cocky noobs, You might see an old dog but I'm a dog smart enough to get old.

Think about it. Good advice.

​-Bug-

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
The problem comes when the switch is pulled. Your going along fine then suddenly you loose a gear, or two. Management likes to talk like lawyers (because that's how there job is setup and they are trained to do) and so don't many UPS drivers. Management will say "where's the decline over time...none, so, your just slowing down on purpose." The sudden drop in production is what everyone will be jumping on. So, what do ya do if your feelin it and your falling behind?

1, Adjust your methods to avoid stressful and physical exertions. Like clearing a walk path in your cargo area. Unload anything that gets in your way. Don't try and pickup and roll over the top heavy or irregular size items. If you can't push or drag an item off the truck then move whatever you have too so you can. Use your hand truck more. Put boxes on the cab floor before exiting and them pull them close to you.

2, Adjust your load. Have your loader leave out all oversize, overweight's, irregulars off the vehicle, load last, and do those stops first to get them out of your work area. Clear your path and work space in your cargo area.

3, Adjust how you handle boxes. If your carrying a box over your chest area then stop. If you have to pull it down and let drop to the floor of your cargo area a heavy or large box from the top shelf then do it. If you can safely slide it down into your power zone then, ok, don't let it drop, but, if it in anyway threaten your body, LET IT GO.

4, Take your necessary restroom breaks. Holding it in is harmful to your body and washing you hands and face regularly is helpful and a healthy practice. When men get past certain a certain age they need to urinate more often and feel the need to go immediately regardless of the volume. So go.

5, REPORT all injuries NO MATTER how small. Get copies and keep records. You don't have to loose time on Workmen's Comp. Losing a day or 3 to recover without becoming a paid claimant helps the honest narrative. The very fact that your reporting strains, pains, or injuries that linger more over time is a red flag to corporate and to your attorney should it progress and become debilitating over the short or long term.

Management will always push back that's there job. If you stay consistent in your explanations, actions, and motivations an argument for age and physical conditions becomes self-evident.

Work smart not hard.

Last edited:

nicky

OK to the OP let me ask you a few questions, how old are you and how long have you been on the job? The language has been used but what you have to have is the gumption to take it all the way and a steward worth his salt. It can be done and has been done, but its a fight the whole way! Also remember they can not "lock" you into numbers because that would constitute an extra contractual agreement and is prohibited by the contract.

nicky

He can not be a newbie and still be 30 years old thus this is an even more uphill battle... Im just trying to get a better idea of the full situation.

ymelord

can you come back

To use Art. 37 - (which shall include, but not be limited to, giving due consideration to the age and physical condition of the employee), you need to fail to get the work dispatched to you done. How UPS handles the problem if by harassing you, threatening you, suspending you, or maybe firing you, then you can TRY to make an age or pc case. My advice for what it is worth would be to use the methods 100% that will slow you down without getting fired. Grieve every warning letter, Art. 37, not for what the letter was written for, but that UPS is using the warning letters to harass you, that's the only way to grieve warning letters. sorry for long post

TBH

An officially retired Oregonian .
Great post Bmwmc! I do not know how many times I have said "Work Smart, Not Hard" to many fellow workers over the years! I just might make it to the finish line emotionally and physically intact! I have a little more than 6 months left. Everybody who works here despite their position needs to take this to heart!

​TBH

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I use my dolly alot. Its a pita, but it helps me make the last few yards. Im off for two weeks, I dont think any runner gunner will make me look too bad but if they do, so be it. They will skip the places that "take too long" or u have to search for someone willing to sign. And maybe they are just faster. Either way, Im on vacation, and I dont care.
Lots of sun, fun and the gorgeous feeling of being with all the grandkids that would not be here, without me. Amen. I am part of that picture, no matter what UPS does or does not do to me. Actually I could not have afforded this two weeks off without them. It is a viscious circle.