Age Discrimination at FedEx Express?

55+

It's all kind of funny when you think about it...Fedex trying to get off cheap by hiring engineers that either, aren't doing their job or are being given really bad numbers to work with..It's so archaic compared to the ie dept at ups that its funny..people have told me numbers they need to hit in order to get 100 percent. They go out with 10 over that and end up with 90 percent...I mean really, this is just stupid..How can they take any of this seriously..Has anyone gotten a warning letter for not hitting their number?..production harassment cloaked in false numbers...

55+

My manager was giving me s--t last month for going 99.92 for the month! I asked her if she was serious!

She was giving you sh...t but did she write you Up?...no..will she write you up in the future?..ask her what the number is that results in an olcc and/or warning letter..What percentage is it that results in being written up? and keep asking because my guess so far is that no one will be written up for this..it's all a game of threats aimed at creating a culture of fear..And it's also being aimed at the managers...Im sure they are being told that if certain couriers don't hit their numbers the mgr will be written up..it's all about the bottom line but I'm afraid that productivity has hit it's peak. Not only at Fedex but at other corporations as well..they are going to have to figure out some other way to get those numbers that the directors and above want because it's not going to be from the couriers...my station never hits the numbers and I dont think it ever will.

HuckToohey

You are entering a world of pain.
You set the goals...they took a route out of the loop. You can't make goal, but the swing driver can just because he's younger? I don't think so. If you had a city route where you run and gun for 8-9 hours, I would be on your side 100%. Being you have an out of town route, the only way he/she can do it faster is that they drive faster. Has nothing to do with age.

Policies before or after FedEx Corp has nothing to do with which week vacation you get or don't get. The most senior people always will get the better weeks. Me after 12 1/2 years still can't get everything I want.

I have a city route Bro. And I do 95-110 miles a day. And I "run and gun" for 9+ hours a day thank you.

LTFedExer

Huh? That was HuckToohey, not me.
Opps......sorry. Sometimes I read, but I don't pay attention who wrote it.
Has anyone gotten a warning letter for not hitting their number?.
Not that I know of.
I have a city route Bro. And I do 95-110 miles a day. And I "run and gun" for 9+ hours a day thank you.
Your goals are set by you. If the route changes and you can't make the goals, but a swing can......who's fault is that? As I said earlier, I know a 30+ year/60+ year old employee that will run circles around most people 1/2 his age. If the numbers are lowered to accommodate an older employee........isn't that reverse discrimination?

vantexan

Your goals are set by you. If the route changes and you can't make the goals, but a swing can......who's fault is that? As I said earlier, I know a 30+ year/60+ year old employee that will run circles around most people 1/2 his age. If the numbers are lowered to accommodate an older employee........isn't that reverse discrimination?

Most places I've worked had the guys unload cans while women would scan. Makes sense as women on average get injured more. But is it fair? These kind of accommodations are made all the time. If an employee has worked hard a long time, as in decades, do you not accommodate him some if he has lost a step? Most older couriers use their experience to keep up with younger employees. It's not really about the performance, it's about what he makes. Which confirms that I'll never do well with FedEx because they really don't want $20hr+ couriers.

LTFedExer

Most places I've worked had the guys unload cans while women would scan. Makes sense as women on average get injured more. But is it fair?
Fair...no. It's not done everywhere. There are women loading/unloading cans and trucks in my station. There's also a woman who does a bulk route. The route consists of 4 stops and the boxes range from 30-80 pounds. She's not exactly a big girl either.
These kind of accommodations are made all the time. If an employee has worked hard a long time, as in decades, do you not accommodate him some if he has lost a step?
Not by adjusting SPH. There are other ways though. One older courier had surgery on his ankle. When he came back to work, he asked to be taken off the sort. But, he still runs around 100 stops and still makes his PM in time (he's a 4/10).
It's not really about the performance, it's about what he makes. Which confirms that I'll never do well with FedEx because they really don't want $20hr+ couriers.
That's your opinion. I haven't seen or heard of any $20hr+ couriers being 'targeted', let alone let go.

vantexan

Fair...no. It's not done everywhere. There are women loading/unloading cans and trucks in my station. There's also a woman who does a bulk route. The route consists of 4 stops and the boxes range from 30-80 pounds. She's not exactly a big girl either.

Not by adjusting SPH. There are other ways though. One older courier had surgery on his ankle. When he came back to work, he asked to be taken off the sort. But, he still runs around 100 stops and still makes his PM in time (he's a 4/10).

That's your opinion. I haven't seen or heard of any $20hr+ couriers being 'targeted', let alone let go.

I've seen very few women unloading cans over the years and they didn't last long at it. And I've worked at many more stations than you. And the company's current policies seem to specifically target mid-range employees pay, making us work many years to reach $20hr. And it's looking like the current policies are targeting older, better paid couriers. Not firing them, just hassling them to the point they want to quit. I'm hearing that over and over from older couriers at my station. Getting pushed to reach unrealistic goals.

snackdad

There is a standard set for older couriers that is much different for "friends of management" or new hires. Intimidation and veiled threats are the norm. I had one manager that would threaten me if "I did not achieve the numbers she set forth for me she would come down heavy on me" despite the fact she is too busy to give a check ride and when she does do a check ride spends the whole time on the phone trying to figure out her messy personal life. I hear she is drinking on the job again.
Even the senior manager said in a State of the Station meeting that the station would never run right until we got rid of all the older (she implied disgruntled) employees. Same manager told me the courier position was thought of in Memphis as a 3 to 5 year position. That is not the shining image they sell you when you are a new hire.
Express really is on the way out. It is an outmoded business model in a day of disposable workers and evaporating benefits. I expect the company to keep flying Pandas and retarded Seals around the world, sponsoring race cars and score boards and fooling the general public about the use of Green technology to keep it's public image intact. Behind the scenes FedEx will be destroying good middle class jobs, cutting benefits, profit from illegal business practices, thumb their nose at state and federal labor and safety laws and make everyone they can a contract worker with little or no benefits.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Yep for the most part yes

when union cards were being passed around to be signed in my building you could only get a very few top pay 20+ year employees to sign

there feeling was I'm fine with how I'm treated and too bad how you are treated. basically sucks to be you.

If they're happy with their pay and treatment, why *would* they sign union cards?

SmithBarney

I must be the only one who hopes for age discrimination... ;) Just kidding.

We should all held to the same standard, if we lowered expectations for "seniors"
than the "junior" employees could claim favoritism.

What comes into question is what is the "standard" and who sets it?
For example I ran my tail off today(I shouldn't have pushed it so hard) it could have been dangerous
I drove a little to fast, but I bet I hit 100%, unfortunately the numbers on my route
are screwed up from a guy who used to speed, call customers to see if they had packages, and other
habits that made for impossible numbers.
I rarely hit numbers and my senior has already admitted they are wrong, and will be adjusted
such as a to area goal time of 20minutes(unfortunately it takes 25 on a good day all green lights no traffic(on a sunday))

a mgr of mine once said "as long as we attempt everything, and pickup everything our job is done."
of course if you screw around out there, we'll know it too... ;)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This may surprise you but our contract has language which addresses this issue. The age and physical condition of the employee are supposed to be taken in to consideration when dispatching delivery areas.

Ziparoo

This is an open question for all you here. It is becoming more and more apparent that FedEx Express route goals are designed to negatively impact the more senior couriers. It is not enough that you make service in all your categories, treat the customer well, drive and work safely, but all this is moot unless you make your goals. And now the new program of harassment and humiliation has begun where your week is "reviewed" by a manager on Friday (just on Friday so far). They point out all your alleged, and according to them, shortcomings throughout the week. Plus my work is compared to a wheel swing driver that is 13 years younger than I. And I face the question continually... "Well XXXX seems to make goal on your route. Why can't you?" Now the majority of "Focus Routes" are occupied by couriers with more than 20 years service. I am going to commence documenting all actions taken by management against senior couriers. The present attitude, policies and practices of management reeks of Age Discrimination. If any of you have stories or eye-witness accounts, please post them to this thread.
Managers at fedex are gargoyles of the underworld of upper management.

LTFedExer

I had one manager that would threaten me if "I did not achieve the numbers she set forth for me she would come down heavy on me" despite the fact she is too busy to give a check ride and when she does do a check ride spends the whole time on the phone trying to figure out her messy personal life. I hear she is drinking on the job again.
Spoke with a manager. You can not get any type of warning letters for not hitting your goal unless a checkride is given. During the ride, if you are 'lagging', the manager is supposed to give suggestions as to what can be done to improve performance if the numbers are indeed correct. If she's drinking on the job, get proof and report it :)

This may surprise you but our contract has language which addresses this issue. The age and physical condition of the employee are supposed to be taken in to consideration when dispatching delivery areas.
Does this include if a driver has been on a route for a while and 'slows down' basically due to age?

Damon77

You set the goals...they took a route out of the loop. You can't make goal, but the swing driver can just because he's younger? I don't think so. If you had a city route where you run and gun for 8-9 hours, I would be on your side 100%. Being you have an out of town route, the only way he/she can do it faster is that they drive faster. Has nothing to do with age.

Policies before or after FedEx Corp has nothing to do with which week vacation you get or don't get. The most senior people always will get the better weeks. Me after 12 1/2 years still can't get everything I want.

Somebody has to get the black jelly bean.

Damon77

All these 15 year people bitching about what 20+ year employees are making is laughable. Check the pay scale....they're not making but a few dollars more an hour than you. Now, that doesn't mean I dont think top out should be 10 years or less, but blaming the senior crr at your station for all your troubles is just what the home office wants.

I was in a meeting at my station with MT3 last year, and the first person to stand up and speak about the pay scale and year-to-max issue was a 64 year old, 28+ year former Veitnam Vet.

vantexan

All these 15 year people bitching about what 20+ year employees are making is laughable. Check the pay scale....they're not making but a few dollars more an hour than you. Now, that doesn't mean I dont think top out should be 10 years or less, but blaming the senior crr at your station for all your troubles is just what the home office wants.

I was in a meeting at my station with MT3 last year, and the first person to stand up and speak about the pay scale and year-to-max issue was a 64 year old, 28+ year former Veitnam Vet.

Who is blaming topped out couriers? They deserve every penny. We just believe that(most of us anyways), that we should get the same deal. Many topped out couriers topped out in 2 years. Some in 4 or 5 years. Others in 10. I'm over 13.5 years since rehired and make $4.40hr less. On 40 hrs that works out to over $9000 a year less. If that's chump change to you feel free to send me all your extra money. And they rubbed salt on the wound last March. I was $4.27hr less, now at $4.40hr less. And we really don't have much hope of catching top-out unless they freeze top pay, which I suspect they will. And then it'll still be 7 or 8 years until I catch it, and it looks like that's not going to happen. It may be no skin off your back, but after 13.5 years of lousy pay I'd like to see better, which isn't going to happen. And I remember before I quit in '97 plenty of topped out employees howling about their pay. And yes, I shouldn't have quit, but I and many thousands of mid-range employees have paid our dues. Where's our reward for hard work? Apparently tied up in some executive's yacht...