Age Discrimination at FedEx Express?

Bailey4

Since the announcement of the October restructure, we have definitely seen the harassment of couriers with seniority ramp up. Boundries moved to make routes under perform goal, application of policies applied to senior couriers but not to others and other attitude changes. While these have gone on for a ong time, I would say they have stepped up the harassment again. No matter whether you are top out or not .....policies should be applied uniformly as opposed to selectively. Wasn't there a seniority lawsuit out there pending somewhere anyway?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Since the announcement of the October restructure, we have definitely seen the harassment of couriers with seniority ramp up. Boundries moved to make routes under perform goal, application of policies applied to senior couriers but not to others and other attitude changes. While these have gone on for a ong time, I would say they have stepped up the harassment again. No matter whether you are top out or not .....policies should be applied uniformly as opposed to selectively. Wasn't there a seniority lawsuit out there pending somewhere anyway?

I am SHOCKED!! There is NO age discrimination at FedEx, unless you're over 40.

thedownhillEXPRESS

Well, to put it simply, FedEx doesn't want anyone around that witnessed the outsourcing of their jobs over to wage slave ground drivers.
They need an army of young kids who put in two and three years and quit.
They are rewriting the history of fedex and anyone who could interfere with that could cause harm....

I

IslandGirl

Not only age discrimination,but senority and health-wise as well..
An employee was fired recently..""for falsifying company records""...the time card girl said she wanted to leave..when are you leaving is the question..cuz she wants to go home..in 20 mins is the reply..so she enters that estimated time of departure..which the employee did leave by..
Employee is reemed out..this was July 5..a day after US holiday,which is a light day here in Canada..it was ''suggested'' the day before,that all employees were requested to try to only work a 7 hour day..this employee decided to restock van with supplies,check emails,without asking a manager first if this was allowed, but the managers were all gone hours ago..an investigation is launched by manager about the employee's time card...lo and behold..further errors,or ''falsifications''..no proof given,just dates...no other info..
2 warning letters on file from Jan/March 2011,(one for a diabetic episode)..this is the third warning...good bye..26 years with Express...GONE..
Employee has been hassled since transferring to this station 16 years ago..continously..things like..''you're too quiet''..don't park the truck there..oh..your personal vehicle has been hit in the employee parking lot?..you didn't know this new procedure/rules?..how could that be??..you've been off on LTD..you should have kept up while you were off''..
This employee is a juvenile diabetic..suspect that somewhere,someone..has issued the order..''get rid of him..I don't care how..find a way..we can't have this employee on the property in case they have another diabetic episode-we can't be held liable"...
Other long term employees with health issues..have advised the company basically told them..don't call us..we'll call you..we can't have you on the property when you're not 100%...
Of course..this will all be denied..

GFT started..but..David versus Goliath..hope?

vantexan

An employee was fired recently..""for falsifying company records""...the time card girl said she wanted to leave..when are you leaving is the question..cuz she wants to go home..in 20 mins is the reply..so she enters that estimated time of departure..which the employee did leave by..
Employee is reemed out..this was July 5..a day after US holiday,which is a light day here in Canada..it was ''suggested'' the day before,that all employees were requested to try to only work a 7 hour day..this employee decided to restock van with supplies,check emails,without asking a manager first if this was allowed, but the managers were all gone hours ago..an investigation is launched by manager about the employee's time card...lo and behold..further errors,or ''falsifications''..no proof given,just dates...no other info..
2 warning letters on file from Jan/March 2011,(one for a diabetic episode)..this is the third warning...good bye..26 years with Express...GONE..
Employee has been hassled since transferring to this station 16 years ago..continously..things like..''you're too quiet''..don't park the truck there..oh..your personal vehicle has been hit in the employee parking lot?..you didn't know this new procedure/rules?..how could that be??..you've been off on LTD..you should have kept up while you were off''..
This employee is a juvenile diabetic..suspect that somewhere,someone..has issued the order..''get rid of him..I don't care how..find a way..we can't have this employee on the property in case they have another diabetic episode-we can't be held liable"...
Other long term employees with health issues..have advised the company basically told them..don't call us..we'll call you..we can't have you on the property when you're not 100%...

We recently had a swing driver get fired. He was 18 mph over speed limit when ticketed so he did it to himself. But this guy was an 11 year employee, acknowledged best courier in the station, knew just about every rt, had encyclopedic knowledge of rts, and everyone liked him. Moral of the story, they are looking to trim workforce, doesn't matter how good you are, if you give them anything to use against you they will. Luckily for him his father owns a bank and is a millionaire. I'd be up the creek if it were me!

texan

We recently had a swing driver get fired. He was 18 mph over speed limit when ticketed so he did it to himself. But this guy was an 11 year employee, acknowledged best courier in the station, knew just about every rt, had encyclopedic knowledge of rts, and everyone liked him. Moral of the story, they are looking to trim workforce, doesn't matter how good you are, if you give them anything to use against you they will. Luckily for him his father owns a bank and is a millionaire. I'd be up the creek if it were me!

This is weak, but I feel for him. The pressure of the highway and the flow of traffic.
The pressure to make all the stops on time. I pray he does well.

FedEx2000

I work with multiple couriers who are diabetic, they are non-DOT couriers.......has to be more to the story than just b/c he's diabetic.

I

IslandGirl

Type 1 or type 2??..most people are type 2..adult onset diabetics..which is controlled via diet and pills..insulin diabetic is type 1..also known as juvenile diabetes..

The other one in the station has been pulled off road...due to another one in another station going awol on the job due to low blood sugar..a dangerous situation indeed..understandable why management wants to be rid of them..but,maybe they need to assess the conditions,and work with the employees in this kind of situation..

Bailey4

Fedex does not appear interested in working with any employees if at all possible. And they really do not appear interested in working with those who have enough time in with the company to have advanced their wages. These are the ones at our station who seem to be handed out severe punishment for the smallest infractions. Punishments that are more severe than others doing the very same things. In, fact they seem to look the other way for those with less seniority if possible. It appears at our station as though they pick out a target or 2 with seniority and slowly work to discredit them and humiliate them. They are bullied in front of others for things that are not infractions as described in the previous posting. I do not think anyone would have went through all the headache to start a seniority lawsuit over nothing. If fedex had ever been concerned about it, why not have posted a number where you could report these incidents anoynomousley and vigorously follow them up. You know like they vigorously deny any wrong doing.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
My letter
Typical management. Lean staffing which makes them look good on paper but is detrimental to customer service and makes for poor working conditions. And yes naturally on top of it they lie and lie poorly in many cases because the management never can keep their stories in sync with one another. How on earth management ever sleeps at night is beyond me.

Glad you won your unemployment case. Good for you!

Serf

I know a 33 year, 60 year old employee that will run circles around couriers 1/2 his ag
Me too man. I admire our guy. His hire date was the summer of 79'....been going ever since. And he is highy productive.

i have no sympathy for any top pay employees concerns. they should be thankful they aren't one step from welfare like most of us
LOL. I am also in the northeast. Tri-state or New England? Please elaborate more on one step away from welfare?

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for northeast swing's reply..it's been a long time since he's been around.....zombie thread ya see.

hypo hanna

Typical FedEx behavior. Two things here.
A subpoena for the power pad messages and email messages between dispatch and mgmt would have them instantly dropping their case to deny unemployment benefits. They are well aware of what's in those messages.
Secondly instead of faxing paperwork to FedEx representatives, you should mail it USPS signature require, return reciept requested. Makes it impossible for them to claim they never received the documents.

Sent using BrownCafe App

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
My letter

Wow...yet so typical of the way FedEx works. Get an attorney...right now. Go through the GFT process (you will lose) anyway just so you can say you tried to keep your job. Really...talk to an attorney.

Anybody out there considering working for FedEx? Read this letter for an inside view of the way this company operates.