Age Discrimination at FedEx Express?

NonyaBiznes

Yanked Out My Purple-Blood I.V. In 2000!
Wow...yet so typical of the way FedEx works. Get an attorney...right now. Go through the GFT process (you will lose) anyway just so you can say you tried to keep your job. Really...talk to an attorney.

Anybody out there considering working for FedEx? Read this letter for an inside view of the way this company operates.

Just another reason to DOCUMENT everything and keep all CORRESPONDENCE.

Good for him.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Management is telling us not to take photos but sometimes that's our only proof.
Ever wonder why FedEx is so against onsite videography? If what you're doing is always on the up and up, one should not fear the existence of any visual or audio records

What do they think this is, anyway.....Area 51?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Ever wonder why FedEx is so against onsite videography? If what you're doing is always on the up and up, one should not fear the existence of any visual or audio records

What do they think this is, anyway.....Area 51?
Apparently.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Some of the things that can happen in the warehouse might 'tarnish the brand' if made public.

What? Like all the unattempted packages that sat around stations for a week at Peak? I'm sure the new lackadaisical attitude FedEx has towards customer service anymore is 'tarnishing the brand' more than anything that goes on in a station.

Cactus

Maybe, but anyone in the home office is getting paid way too much to actively sabotage the brand.
Get your head out of the Kool-Aid pitcher and read the above post from Operational Needs.The brand IS well tarnished by poor managerial decisions that all come from Memphis and nowhere else.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Last edited:

CJinx

Did you miss the point? Whether or not the decisions made far above our pay grade are good or bad, they are well concealed from the general public. Nobody from the home office is going to go public with that information because it isn't worth losing their jobs. The warehouse workers might be willing to throw their career away for 15 minutes of fame, especially if they knew ahead of time that the hammer was coming down on them.

Cactus

Did you miss the point? Whether or not the decisions made far above our pay grade are good or bad, they are well concealed from the general public. Nobody from the home office is going to go public with that information because it isn't worth losing their jobs. The warehouse workers might be willing to throw their career away for 15 minutes of fame, especially if they knew ahead of time that the hammer was coming down on them.
Yep all the deliveries from peak that were delivered up to a week late were "well concealed from the general public." How about all the late freight that seems to occur on a daily basis? Or a customer calling the 800 number and only to find that they're talking to some clown named Rajib in San Salvador? All of these are the result of upper management decisions that severely tarnish the image. And you think the general public will never catch on? LMAO!

Sent using BrownCafe App

Last edited:

CJinx

Any late deliveries during peak were the exception rather than the rule. The vast majority of our freight gets delivered on time daily. Yes; it sucks that occasionally someone won't get their stuff on time, but that is a fact of life in the shipping industry.

Yes, sometimes you end up speaking to someone who sounds like they're from another country when you call our customer service line. How is this any different from other companies? As long as "Rajib" can solve your problem or get you to someone who can, whats the problem? Or are you just a racist?

Volume is up as well as the stock price. Either the general public doesn't notice the flaws, or doesn't care.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
The general public has both a short memory and lowered expectations re: customer service .

Sent using BrownCafe App

The sad thing is , you're right. Once upon a time, both FedEx and UPS cared about giving superior service and have slowly lowered their standards to which the customers have adapted. Unfortunately, many other companies in many industries are doing the same thing making it easier for our companies to get away with it.

Cactus

Any late deliveries during peak were the exception rather than the rule. The vast majority of our freight gets delivered on time daily. Yes; it sucks that occasionally someone won't get their stuff on time, but that is a fact of life in the shipping industry.

Yes, sometimes you end up speaking to someone who sounds like they're from another country when you call our customer service line. How is this any different from other companies? As long as "Rajib" can solve your problem or get you to someone who can, whats the problem? Or are you just a racist?

Volume is up as well as the stock price. Either the general public doesn't notice the flaws, or doesn't care.

The general public has both a short memory and lowered expectations re: customer service .

Sent using BrownCafe App
Oh I see. Your idea of customer service is substandard service and too bad if the customer doesn't like it because that's just the way of the world these days.

In case neither one of you has noticed, FedEx and UPS are still charging customers for a "guaranteed" service that is mediocre at best now. And CJinx have you ever seen the logo "The World On Time" displayed on all Express vehicles? Ethics be damned, huh?

Some Purple Promise. It's a joke.

I'm willing to bet if either one of you got substandard service at a restaurant, bank. doctors office etc. and they said oh well our stock prices are up so get over it, you'd be a little more than angry.

For what the customers are paying, they deserve better, period. And I wouldn't expect the stock prices to remain high forever with a business model based on crappy service.

You two are on your way to give Dano a run for his money as nothing but corporate apologists.

Last edited:

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
My letter

I assume everything in this letter is true, but it's a great example of how NOT to conduct your GFT hearings. The purpose of a GFT is to make a convincing case as to why the punishment you received was not fair. If you've never had a GFT hearing, everything you say should serve to paint you, your reasoning, and your situation in a positive light. Don't stray from that.

The one thing in the letter that tanked the whole process was throwing accusations at the ops manager during the hearing. Even if the accusations are 100 percent true, you can't prove them, it's only going to make the hearing less pleasant for all involved, and it takes the focus of of you painting yourself in the best light possible. If you can prove them and you have the proof in your hands, go for it.

Don't drag other issues or people into the GFT hearing. If it isn't directly related to the case at hand, no one cares and it doesn't do anything to improve your chances. The other people at the hearing (HR, MD, etc.) aren't going to have their minds changed because you're talking about people and situations that they know nothing about. Don't present yourself as someone with an ax to grind. Stick with your case and why they should overturn or lessen your punishment. You can complain about all of that other stuff after you win your case.

Please don't say, "Jim did this and you didn't punish him, did you? Why didn't you punish him?" Just don't. For one, all you know is what Jim told you, and he could be lying. Two, your manager should NOT discuss one employee's discipline with one of that employee's coworkers. What happens between Jim and the manager isn't your business. What happens between you and the manager isn't Jim's business.

If there's a point of contention that's merely your word against the manager's, use your own judgement. Most "he said, he said" arguments don't work but you can get the benefit of a doubt if you're saying something reasonable. Emphasis on reasonable.

Accusing someone of racial discrimination during a GFT hearing is seen as desperation. If you honestly feel that you have been discriminated against based on your inclusion one of the five protected classes, you tell that to HR and open an EEO complaint. Don't wait to bring it up at a GFT hearing. When the MD or senior manager hears that, he's going to ask the HR rep if you've brought it to his/her attention. If you haven't, you'll be asked why not. There is no good answer.

Congrats to the writer for winning his unemployment case. Good luck to anyone with an upcoming GFT.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I assume everything in this letter is true, but it's a great example of how NOT to conduct your GFT hearings. The purpose of a GFT is to make a convincing case as to why the punishment you received was not fair. If you've never had a GFT hearing, everything you say should serve to paint you, your reasoning, and your situation in a positive light. Don't stray from that.

The one thing in the letter that tanked the whole process was throwing accusations at the ops manager during the hearing. Even if the accusations are 100 percent true, you can't prove them, it's only going to make the hearing less pleasant for all involved, and it takes the focus of of you painting yourself in the best light possible. If you can prove them and you have the proof in your hands, go for it.

Don't drag other issues or people into the GFT hearing. If it isn't directly related to the case at hand, no one cares and it doesn't do anything to improve your chances. The other people at the hearing (HR, MD, etc.) aren't going to have their minds changed because you're talking about people and situations that they know nothing about. Don't present yourself as someone with an ax to grind. Stick with your case and why they should overturn or lessen your punishment. You can complain about all of that other stuff after you win your case.

Please don't say, "Jim did this and you didn't punish him, did you? Why didn't you punish him?" Just don't. For one, all you know is what Jim told you, and he could be lying. Two, your manager should NOT discuss one employee's discipline with one of that employee's coworkers. What happens between Jim and the manager isn't your business. What happens between you and the manager isn't Jim's business.

If there's a point of contention that's merely your word against the manager's, use your own judgement. Most "he said, he said" arguments don't work but you can get the benefit of a doubt if you're saying something reasonable. Emphasis on reasonable.

Accusing someone of racial discrimination during a GFT hearing is seen as desperation. If you honestly feel that you have been discriminated against based on your inclusion one of the five protected classes, you tell that to HR and open an EEO complaint. Don't wait to bring it up at a GFT hearing. When the MD or senior manager hears that, he's going to ask the HR rep if you've brought it to his/her attention. If you haven't, you'll be asked why not. There is no good answer.

Congrats to the writer for winning his unemployment case. Good luck to anyone with an upcoming GFT.

What you fail to mention is that the entire GFT process is a joke. GFT exists as a legal screening device for FedEx. If you have a legally actionable issue, you will probably "win" your GFT because FedEx doesn't want to lose or "vigorously defend themselves" in court. This is why there are no third parties (read lawyers) allowed in the GFT process.

This is why it's critical that you speak with an attorney before you ever start the GFT process.

MechLift

Took a full-time route and within a week my start time went from 7:30 to 8:15. Come in, see over 70 stops including bulks in a heap coming out of the back of your truck and be ready to leave in 20 min or less. They don't even bother me with productivity numbers because I out run them trying to get things done fast enough to start pups in the afternoon.

Last edited:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Took a full-time route and within a week my start time went from 7:30 to 8:15. Come in, see over 70 stops including bulks in a heap coming out of the back of your truck and be ready to leave in 20 min or less. They don't even bother me with productivity numbers because I out-run them trying to get things done fast enough to start pups in the afternoon.

Ah, Grasshopper. You are new and do not know the ways of WAD. Do NOT try and "catch-up" to their ever-increasing demands. WAD, and reap the benefits.

DontThrowPackages

Took a full-time route and within a week my start time went from 7:30 to 8:15. Come in, see over 70 stops including bulks in a heap coming out of the back of your truck and be ready to leave in 20 min or less. They don't even bother me with productivity numbers because I out run them trying to get things done fast enough to start pups in the afternoon.
If you feel you're working safely and aren't hurting you body then continue to do as you will. But DON'T do anything that may hang you out to dry if something goes wrong. I can tell you this, you being newbie, if you continue to make that rte without lates then expect to come in one morning to see additional freight from an adjacent route.

Last edited: