Age Discrimination at FedEx Express?

MechLift

Go out with it and have lates rather than try the impossible task of talking logic back at the station. Sounds like the FedEx way of route balancing.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Took a full-time route and within a week my start time went from 7:30 to 8:15. Come in, see over 70 stops including bulks in a heap coming out of the back of your truck and be ready to leave in 20 min or less. They don't even bother me with productivity numbers because I out run them trying to get things done fast enough to start pups in the afternoon.
Start having 45 minutes worth of P1 lates. That'll show your idiot engineer and manager that the company gets what they don't want to pay for.

NonyaBiznes

Yanked Out My Purple-Blood I.V. In 2000!
I assume everything in this letter is true, but it's a great example of how NOT to conduct your GFT hearings. The purpose of a GFT is to make a convincing case as to why the punishment you received was not fair. If you've never had a GFT hearing, everything you say should serve to paint you, your reasoning, and your situation in a positive light. Don't stray from that.

The one thing in the letter that tanked the whole process was throwing accusations at the ops manager during the hearing. Even if the accusations are 100 percent true, you can't prove them, it's only going to make the hearing less pleasant for all involved, and it takes the focus of of you painting yourself in the best light possible. If you can prove them and you have the proof in your hands, go for it.

Don't drag other issues or people into the GFT hearing. If it isn't directly related to the case at hand, no one cares and it doesn't do anything to improve your chances. The other people at the hearing (HR, MD, etc.) aren't going to have their minds changed because you're talking about people and situations that they know nothing about. Don't present yourself as someone with an ax to grind. Stick with your case and why they should overturn or lessen your punishment. You can complain about all of that other stuff after you win your case.

Please don't say, "Jim did this and you didn't punish him, did you? Why didn't you punish him?" Just don't. For one, all you know is what Jim told you, and he could be lying. Two, your manager should NOT discuss one employee's discipline with one of that employee's coworkers. What happens between Jim and the manager isn't your business. What happens between you and the manager isn't Jim's business.

If there's a point of contention that's merely your word against the manager's, use your own judgement. Most "he said, he said" arguments don't work but you can get the benefit of a doubt if you're saying something reasonable. Emphasis on reasonable.

Accusing someone of racial discrimination during a GFT hearing is seen as desperation. If you honestly feel that you have been discriminated against based on your inclusion one of the five protected classes, you tell that to HR and open an EEO complaint. Don't wait to bring it up at a GFT hearing. When the MD or senior manager hears that, he's going to ask the HR rep if you've brought it to his/her attention. If you haven't, you'll be asked why not. There is no good answer.

Congrats to the writer for winning his unemployment case. Good luck to anyone with an upcoming GFT.

Did I miss the part in the original post about "racial discrimination?" I saw "age discrimination".

MassWineGuy

I'm 60. A courier I know at my station with 25 years in is also 60. So are some others. I can't say with certainty, but the company would have a lot of undelivered pieces if they hassled these folks.