Age Discrimination

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Why is UPS discriminating on the over age 50 management people ?

I have seen no evidence of this myself.

We are paid more than the younger folks.

We have more weeks vacation.
I rarely take more than 2 full week vacations per year. The rest are in single days here and there.

We also tend to be sick more than younger folks and that costs UPS more since UPS is self-insured.

Older people are more resistant to change.

If a person is terminated prior to reaching age 55, UPS does not pay for Health bridge to Medicare and pension is reduced 60%.

Other than those, I can't think of any thing.

Gazelle

Race me!
Older workers have been proven to be more dependable and reliable. They may need more time off, but it is usually scheduled. I see older workers as more of an asset than the younger generation. I am 28 and my generation is full of lazy and irresponsible workers...

The biggest problem I see is that most people in the 50 to 55 age group will not receive a pay raise since they are now maxed out in their pay ranges. If that is not discrimination, I don't know what is.

jeepguy63

The biggest problem I see is that most people in the 50 to 55 age group will not receive a pay raise since they are now maxed out in their pay ranges. If that is not discrimination, I don't know what is.

Yes, but this is legal as long as the whole population is included. It's only illegal if those over a certain age are singled out. As I understand it the cap is based on salary band - regardless of age!

Karma...

Years of service ( loyalty ) doesnt seem to mean anything anymore ..The pay raises that you speak of are just below inflation anyway so the old folks I (with no inflationary adjustment ) are taking a pay cut each year they stay...What else could that been seen as being pushed out meaning age discrimination aimed at a group based on age ?.......Arent there laws concerning this ? Dont unions have clauses protecting their people in such situations ?

moreluck

golden ticket member
You work, you get a paychecK. You need to face the reality that loyalty is not there. When you leave, nobody remembers who you are !! Your pay is your compensation for a job. Go home and let the wife or S.O. pat you on the back about your loyalty!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Years of service ( loyalty ) doesnt seem to mean anything anymore ..The pay raises that you speak of are just below inflation anyway so the old folks I (with no inflationary adjustment ) are taking a pay cut each year they stay...What else could that been seen as being pushed out meaning age discrimination aimed at a group based on age ?.......Arent there laws concerning this ? Dont unions have clauses protecting their people in such situations ?

Our contract does have a clause which says the company must take the employee's age and physical condition in to consideration while planning the dispatch. I can assure you that this does not happen.