Age when you decide to go Brown and how many years with the company

Big Babooba

I was 35 when I started as a non-union clerk(as far as I can find out, this time doesn't count toward retirement), @ 38 I started driving (was supposed to be a temporary plan). Now I have 20 years as a driver, 14 of those as a cover. For me to get 25 I'll be 63, I really don't think my hips, knees and ankles will hold out that long.
It wouldn't hurt to ask HR about the time spent as a clerk. You might get a company pension as well as a union pension.

code5

Started when I was 22. That was 14 years ago. I keep saying I'm on a 5 year plan to look for something new. I'm waiting for my youngest daughter to go to school so my wife can work FT. She makes more than I do, so I can take a couple steps back to take several steps forward. Thank you UPS education assistance!

I'd like to work more inside during the winter and have a more fixed work schedule.

I would LOVE to have than feeling back working at UPS where I was excited about it daily. Lost if 5 or so years back.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
22 yrs old i started as unloader,thought this place sucked and quit!! married at 24 and got re/hired in differant bldng as a driver 20 yrs in january. this places sucks less when you got a wife 2 kids and a house payment LOL

RozUPS

I started at 43. Less than a year PT. 3 years this last May.

If (and that is a big IF) I can get 20 in I will be surprised.

I've been here 15 months and turn 46 in November. Preload unloader. Sat air driver and hope to be cover driver by this time next year....:anxious:

ups_vette

Started as a full time driver at age 22. Drove for 6 1/2 years, went into supervision for 26 years, retired in 1995 at age 55 with 32 1/2 years in. Been retired for 13 years living the good life, thanks to UPS.

Ms.PacMan

Started at 27 as a FT driver. 13 years in, shooting for at least 25 years. Will crawl thru the last 5 years to 30 if the rules or cost for insurance change.

It wouldn't hurt to ask HR about the time spent as a clerk. You might get a company pension as well as a union pension.
I may try HR, thanks. I have called the UPS/IBT pension Admin three times to only get a recording telling me someone would return my call, what big friggin lie that was.

topkick

I WAS 32 WHEN I STARTED WITH UPS IN 1965. HIRED IN SECAUCUS NJ AS A FEEDER DRIVER. tHEY DID NOT HAVE ENOUGH TRAILER DRIVERS. WOULD YOU BELEIVE THEY HAD FEEDER DRIVERS WHO COULD NOT OPERATE A 2 SPEED AXLE . I SPENT OVER 25 YRS WITH THEM AND ONLY HAD 1 WHAT LOCAL 177 CALLS A 72. THEN IT WAS TIME TO RETIRE. WITHIN THAT 25 YRS I SPENT ABOUT I YR OF LOST TIME DUE TO STIKES LEGAL AND ILLEGAL.

under the radar

A Trained Professional
I was two weeks away from 19; June14, 1976. Six months reload, eighteen months preload. Thirty freaking years driving! Holy cow! Honestly, it seems like yesterday.

Hangingon

Started when I was 19. 25 years in, 24 of them full time. Still haven't decided what I want to do career wise, so until then I'll keep working this temporary job.

T

Tununmixer

I started when I was 35 Nov.3rd 1983. I started as a driver. back then driver could be used year round. I made 11.43 an hour. I was under a contract that said when the full timers got a raise I did too. I stayed 2.00 an hour behind the ft guys until i made senority in Jan. 1986. I've been with the union since April 1984. I'm retiring Dec 31st 2009 at age 62 and my pension will be 4100.00 a month and my health benefits paid until I am 65.