Age when you decide to go Brown and how many years with the company

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I started when I was 35 Nov.3rd 1983. I started as a driver. back then driver could be used year round. I made 11.43 an hour. I was under a contract that said when the full timers got a raise I did too. I stayed 2.00 an hour behind the ft guys until i made senority in Jan. 1986. I've been with the union since April 1984. I'm retiring Dec 31st 2009 at age 62 and my pension will be 4100.00 a month and my health benefits paid until I am 65.

I assume that at 65 you will be on Medicare, correct? Just curious, why aren't you waiting until Jan. 1st, 2010? Wouldn't you receive all of your sick/personal/vacations days?

LuvWV

Started @ 27 as a clerk. 21 years later I am still a clerk. 14 to go I am going for the whole 35. No one else would pay me this kind of money for part time, it is great. The work can be nasty but the pay isn't.........

rod

Retired 22 years
I started when I was 23- a year after getting out of the Army. Retired when I was 53 -27 days after getting my 30 in. It took 27 days to get it in writing that I was fully vested for a full pension. I never was much for believing anything a stranger told me over the phone so I had them send me written proof before I pulled the pin.:peaceful:

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
started driving in 1988 at the age of 31.Went to work for UPS in 81 after 3 years in the Army, worked PT for 7 years. I'm on my 2nd marriage(the good one) and 1981 seems like a lifetime ago!!!

brett636

started at age 18 about 2 weeks after my high school graduation. Total so far is 8 years with the last 2 being fulltime.

danlin

Started p/t just after i turned 19. Started driving just before my 22nd b day. I'll have 28 years in soon. The retirement wheels are starting to churn, anyone know at what age you have to be to get medical insurance when retired?

danlin

Wow! I as well started part time just after turning 19 in 1978 then went into full time driving June of 1980. I now have 28 driving years in and 30 total with the company since last Feb. I am on a light industrial route and still feel pretty darn good. I try to eat sensibly workout and run 3 to 5 miles when I don't have to do EAMS or help preload in the mornings. I am always asked when will I retire. I just reply where will I go to work and get 7 paid weeks off and make 70K a year.

WyoBrown

Okay, ready for a shocker? Three years ago I moved to WY, why...you ask? Married a man that was worth the move. Went into real estate, hated the lack of ethics! While selling, got a job as a AM preloader, was sent directly to driver school, ran air for 9 mo then decided to quit real estate and try for full time driver position. Probation took place during worst winter in 15 yrs. Broke leg one snowy night delivering an envelope...jeeez. 2 mo off. Went back, finished probation period, did it! I am a 50 yr old woman with less than 2 yrs in brown and love it!

samiam

I wish, there for I am?
Started when I was 18. Turned down FT driving the first time it was offered. Being an OCA Driver was so much nicer. Took the FT gig when the second offer came to me. Total years in is now 17, yet the company changes so much so offen it does fell like I've been with the same employeer that long. However, it also feels like I'll never see the end of this demanding job. And for you haters saying we should just quit if we don't like our job. Look at the age I started. Where the hell is a mid-30's male with no college degree gonna make the money we make. UPS has me by the short and curly's, but it's ok.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Started at 18 and have 35 years in. Currently work on UPS.com stuff and I really like my job. Been a hubbie, P/T Sup, Driver, Operations Supervisor. IE and now a manager of several user reps for UPS.com.
But the best job I ever had at UPS was as a driver and I'd probably weigh 80 pounds less!:happy-very:

sillyputty

I started at 21 yrs old (Sept. 1999) so I'm going on 9 years. Not driving. Everyone is told 3-4 years and after 9, I am still not at the top of the list. I'm high on the list and probably half of the people above me will not become drivers (they have 15+ years in), but yeah- 9 years. I loaded in the trailers for about 6 months, was in smalls for about a year or so, and have been loading on the air dock ever since.

JohnnyPension

Started at 30 (old huh?). But.. I retired at exactly 55 years old and 25 years of service which is the minimum from my local for a maximum pension.