Age when you decide to go Brown and how many years with the company

Fullhouse

Hired P/T in '84 @ 18yrs old. friend/T driver @ 22yrs old. I am knocking on 25 years of service with an extra week of vacation next year!:happy-very:

evilleace

Started 4 months ago at 19 as pt unloader, just got hired permanent on Sept. 5, plan on driving when I turn 21 and staying till retirement. Because no other jobs I can think of even with 4 yrs. of college pay what UPS does and none of them have the benefits of UPS.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Started at 30 years old! First day was Leap Day of 1996. Started p/t unloading feeders. Graduated to sorting then to loading pkg cars. Ran air on Saturdays. Went full time Feb. 1999. Started at base driver pay. Never went to driving school. Went on road with my supe one Saturday and been on my own since. When I was part time I did everything I could to supplement my income. I installed pool plumbing with a friend of my preload supe. Delivered auto parts. I also drove a school bus for Martin County Florida. That last job was awesome. You part timers need to do what you have to do to stay put. Full time will come quicker than you think. Well, for most......9 years is a long time to wait.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Started at 20 right before my 21 birthday, 13 years and counting, lots of years left. I dont even want to think about how many.

UPS Lifer

Started at 20 right before my 21 birthday, 13 years and counting, lots of years left. I dont even want to think about how many.

Smart Choice!
The biggest mistake we all make is thinking it is way off in the distance. A blink of the eye and you are looking back at most of your life.

Don't wish your life a way... Enjoy every second you have and savor each and every moment.

Dutch Dawg

I was six years old, in first grade, and I got a bunch of toy trucks for Christmas that year. Mostly Ertl and Tonka and all made from metal, with plastic adornments. I knew right then and there I wanted to be a truck driver....Ummmm...I mean a package car driver.

UPS waited untill some years later to actually hire me though. Funny thing is 4 years before they did, they told me I wasn't suitable material and look at me now; almost at the top of the senority list. Go figure that one...

jbomb1010

I started in 1989 at the age of 28. Newly married, no kids and had always wanted to work for UPS. When hired as a preloader, Supervisor told me it would be about 3 - 4 yrs parttime. It took me 10 yrs and 4 months. Dont know if I would have stuck it out if I had known that, but looking back now after 19 yrs, sure glad I did. The worst part about the job is missing some of my 3 kids activities. We are in a small center (15 fulltime drivers) and our center manager is only in our building maybe a day or 2 a week, so we really have it pretty good. I am out of the norm here, but I still look forward to going to work most every day. Love pulling out of the building on those cool spring or fall mornings with a 45 min. drive to the first of my 65 - 80 stps and 240 miles ahead. I have 10 -12 small towns on my rte and most of my customers are pretty cool. The body is starting to feel it more and more, but the paycheck on Friday makes up for it. Do I aound brainwashed? Maybe I am.

We are in a small center (15 fulltime drivers) and our center manager is only in our building maybe a day or 2 a week, so we really have it pretty good. I am out of the norm here, but I still look forward to going to work most every day. Love pulling out of the building on those cool spring or fall mornings with a 45 min. drive to the first of my 65 - 80 stps and 240 miles ahead. I have 10 -12 small towns on my rte and most of my customers are pretty cool. The body is starting to feel it more and more, but the paycheck on Friday makes up for it. Do I aound brainwashed? Maybe I am.
Oh I would love to have a route like that. Then my posts may not sound as bad as they do. The route I have been covering for most of 2 months is supposed to have a min/max of 58/65 but the next day after the regular driver went out on comp they bumped it to 65/80 and cut out a car in that loop. Since then the stop count has crept to 80 as a min, thursday of last week had 102 stops.

sillyputty

Geez....all these people going full time after 2-3 years. The wait in my building from start to full time is 8+ years. I've been there 9 years (plus 1 week) and people ABOVE me are still waiting to drive!! One guy made it into driving after probably 11 years part time. And he's bumped into the building to work frequently. Once they get in full time it's a few years to their own route still.

Jigawatts

Geez....all these people going full time after 2-3 years. The wait in my building from start to full time is 8+ years. I've been there 9 years (plus 1 week) and people ABOVE me are still waiting to drive!! One guy made it into driving after probably 11 years part time. And he's bumped into the building to work frequently. Once they get in full time it's a few years to their own route still.

Same here. Been part time for 5 years now. Probably got about 7 more until I drive. So I started when I was 24. I'll be about 36 when I go full time. Wow, that's depressing.