Aggressively accused of stealing time, UPS hasnt figured out the morale thing either

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Re: Aggresively accused of stealing time, UPS hasnt figured out the morale thing eith

When a center implements Telematics, they are instructed by Atlanta how to go about using the technology and in what order to beat drivers up on.

My center went on it over 2 years ago and everything I have experienced being on it, I hear the same stories on Browncafe years after.
I remember being shown a map with my last stop and time, where i took lunch, then where my next stop was. They beat me up over 4 fn minutes and pissed me off for treating me like crap. I got over it and so will you.

1) This is a "flavor of the month" and will move on to something new in a few weeks

2) They are trying to show every driver that they see everything going on and want you to be scared, just do your job

3) UPS is required to let you go eat lunch in a SAFE area, not in front of the house you just delivered at. You are allowed to go somewhere with bathrooms, a sink to wash your hands, cool air/ heat. As long as you are on area and a reasonable distance from your stops, it is fine. This has been grieved and won by every union local but kills me that they still play this game with everybody

4) If you are behind the wheel driving , you are on company time, AND IT IS NOT YOUR LUNCH !! Also grieved and won by my local

5)Also if you feel like it , stop complete your last stop a minute before you take lunch. You will not show up on their Nazi Lunch Beatdown

Remember, they will move onto residential backing in about a month :wink2:

Omega man

Re: Aggresively accused of stealing time, UPS hasnt figured out the morale thing eith

Are you saying that the only dishonorable people within the company are in management? I agree that it is sad what this company has become but do you think UPS put these policies in place just for the heck of it or were they put in place as there are hourlies out there who do steal time.

What I am saying is that it is a dishonest position that management has taken and only dishonorable people would implement such a policy. This has nothing to do with the actions of some hourly people.
Are you saying that because there may be some drivers who steal time that it is alright for the company to implement a policy that steals from all the rest?????

Indecisi0n

Are you saying that the only dishonorable people within the company are in management? I agree that it is sad what this company has become but do you think UPS put these policies in place just for the heck of it or were they put in place as there are hourlies out there who do steal time.

IMO the OP did nothing wrong. The only thing I may have done differently is code the 13 minutes as sort and load.

There is a difference between "them" using it VS abusing it.

gman042

Been around the block a few times

You know.....if this keeps up these managers and supervisors that demand compliance to the letter of the law and going to get nothing but more headaches. Every timecard will have to be explicit in detail with drivers having to have many more code options to account for their daily activiities. This in turn will create timecards that will have to be scrutinized every night and matched to Telematics for accuracy. See how this molehill can become a mountain?

At the end of the day.....the work is getting done. That is all that really matters.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When you wish to quote a post in your reply simply hjit "Reply with quote" and then type your reply below the quoted post. It makes it much easier to read and we don't have to figure out what you added.

The OP had a gap time of 13 minutes which he was asked to explain.

To be blunt, there is no excuse for the late saver. Premium packages are identifed in EDD and we are given a 20 minute "heads up" if we still have any on the car.

Unfortunately, the actions of a few do affect us all.

YesYouDidPushAButton

When you wish to quote a post in your reply simply hjit "Reply with quote" and then type your reply below the quoted post. It makes it much easier to read and we don't have to figure out what you added.

The OP had a gap time of 13 minutes which he was asked to explain.

To be blunt, there is no excuse for the late saver. Premium packages are identifed in EDD and we are given a 20 minute "heads up" if we still have any on the car.

Unfortunately, the actions of a few do affect us all.

It was not in EDD, it was a misload, it was for a business right next door to where I eat lunch which is right where the edge of my route meets someone elses. Had I sorted the truck after lunch like I've ALWAYS done, I would've found it and walked it right over on the spot, next parking lot over, small business. I was JUST told the day before NOT to sort the truck after lunch anymore. And the VERY NEXT DAY I get a misloaded saver.

YesYouDidPushAButton

Can anyone post a link to some sort of official site that explains the law clearly ? I would like to print it and have it, talk to some of the other drivers about it too.

Big Babooba

It was not in EDD, it was a misload, it was for a business right next door to where I eat lunch which is right where the edge of my route meets someone elses. Had I sorted the truck after lunch like I've ALWAYS done, I would've found it and walked it right over on the spot, next parking lot over, small business. I was JUST told the day before NOT to sort the truck after lunch anymore. And the VERY NEXT DAY I get a misloaded saver.

A coincidence? I wouldn't be surprised if that off area saver was intentionally loaded on your car.

Omega man

The telematics report could have easily been designed to show something other than the total time between stop completing the delivery prior to lunch and the delivery after. This time will always be in excess of the driver's recorded time for lunch. I believe that this was intentionally done to disregard the additional work that is done between those two moments (like driving to the next stop, sorting, and delivery) and to harass drivers into doing that work on part of their unpaid lunch hour. A better but still not totally accurate way would have been to report the time the vehicle has not moved. But, there still would be problems with drivers who might sort or deliver while the vehicle is parked at their lunch location.

Last edited:

HULKAMANIA

Some idiot telling you that you can sort as you go CLEARLY has never done this job! It SOUNDS good, but it DOESNT WORK! That stupid 6 inch selection crap doesnt work either. I know for me all morning long I am just running through my 1,2,3,4 and floor selections before I bother even thinking of sorting. Whats even funnier about their stupidity, is the fact that you line your truck up, by far saved you more than 13 minutes you spent if you just would have ran it the way it was.

On the coding to sort and load time, we have had pcm's stating we are no longer allowed to ever code any time in sort and load. So everything we do is against our am-pm and on road hours. if I was the OP I would have been so POED listening to that stupidity from 2 morons that have no idea what they are talking about. Its one thing to DO the job, its entirely something else to look at it on a computer screen!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member

Some idiot telling you that you can sort as you go CLEARLY has never done this job! It SOUNDS good, but it DOESNT WORK! That stupid 6 inch selection crap doesnt work either. I know for me all morning long I am just running through my 1,2,3,4 and floor selections before I bother even thinking of sorting. Whats even funnier about their stupidity, is the fact that you line your truck up, by far saved you more than 13 minutes you spent if you just would have ran it the way it was.

On the coding to sort and load time, we have had pcm's stating we are no longer allowed to ever code any time in sort and load. So everything we do is against our am-pm and on road hours. if I was the OP I would have been so POED listening to that stupidity from 2 morons that have no idea what they are talking about. Its one thing to DO the job, its entirely something else to look at it on a computer screen!
That is how it is here also. Even if the sort isnt down, we cannot code sort and load, as it affects the preload time and that also is micromanaged. So if we lose 20 minutes on the sort, and leave the bldg late, we eat it. Dont have any late air though.............Just remember 20 minutes is .33 of your under/overallow. 30 minutes is .50 etc.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

Can anyone post a link to some sort of official site that explains the law clearly ? I would like to print it and have it, talk to some of the other drivers about it too.

click

On-duty time means all time from the time a driver begins to work or is required to be in readiness to work until the time the driver is relieved from work and all responsibility for performing work. On-duty time shall include:
(1) All time at a plant, terminal, facility, or other property of a motor carrier or shipper, or on any public property, waiting to be dispatched, unless the driver has been relieved from duty by the motor carrier;
(2) All time inspecting, servicing, or conditioning any commercial motor vehicle at any time;
(3) All driving time as defined in the term driving time;
(4) All time in or on a commercial motor vehicle, other than) Time spent resting in or on a parked vehicle, except as otherwise provided in §397.5 of this subchapter;(ii) Time spent resting in a sleeper berth; or(iii) Up to 2 hours riding in the passenger seat of a property-carrying vehicle moving on the highway immediately before or after a period of at least 8 consecutive hours in the sleeper berth;
(5) All time loading or unloading a commercial motor vehicle, supervising, or assisting in the loading or unloading, attending a commercial motor vehicle being loaded or unloaded, remaining in readiness to operate the commercial motor vehicle, or in giving or receiving receipts for shipments loaded or unloaded;
(6) All time repairing, obtaining assistance, or remaining in attendance upon a disabled commercial motor vehicle;
(7) All time spent providing a breath sample or urine specimen, including travel time to and from the collection site, to comply with the random, reasonable suspicion, post-crash, or follow-up testing required by part 382 of this subchapter when directed by a motor carrier;
(8) Performing any other work in the capacity, employ, or service of, a motor carrier; and
(9) Performing any compensated work for a person who is not a motor carrier.
Driving time means all time spent at the driving controls of a commercial motor vehicle in operation.

kingOFchester

Definitions. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

"Driving time means all time spent at the driving controls of a commercial motor vehicle in operation."

"On-duty time means all time from the time a driver begins to work or is required to be in readiness to work until the time the driver is relieved from work and all responsibility for performing work."

Don't let them tell you that you are required to drive during your break.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer

Our Business agent said we should code our lunch when we break trace to go to lunch ,as the old days of starting lunch when you get to your lunch destination are over. He also said you should be back on trace when your lunch period ends. I save stops close to my lunch area and start lunch after completing them,and my next section is less than 5 min away from where i eat lunch so it's not a big deal for me.

We had a driver in our local terminated for 'stealing' 15 minutes because he drove 7 1/2 minutes each way off area for lunch and didnt code out lunch the second he left area.

YesYouDidPushAButton

Our Business agent said we should code our lunch when we break trace to go to lunch ,as the old days of starting lunch when you get to your lunch destination are over. He also said you should be back on trace when your lunch period ends. I save stops close to my lunch area and start lunch after completing them,and my next section is less than 5 min away from where i eat lunch so it's not a big deal for me.

We had a driver in our local terminated for 'stealing' 15 minutes because he drove 7 1/2 minutes each way off area for lunch and didnt code out lunch the second he left area.

This is the issue we're having here.

What bothers me a little bit is most of the time before and after is time I would've spent driving ANYWAYS. I eat lunch between stop A and B. My last stop is at one corner of the route, than I eat lunch next to the stop. Than it's 2 traffic lights, speed bumps, and a guard house before I get to my next area. So theres typically 5-6 minutes of driving between stop A and B that I would've done anyways whether I took lunch at that time or not. So I eat lunch, go back to truck, punch back in, sort out the load quickly, drive 5 minutes to next area from the area I was already in. But since I took lunch at that time, he's telling me I must code all that time out that I would've spent driving anyways, out to lunch. Whats the most irritating is that we're even sitting here talking about this ?!!

YesYouDidPushAButton

The funniest thing (and ironic thing) this on road has been with the company 25 years. He was a driver for 15. He was fired 10 years ago for getting cought taking 2 hours of lunch and only coding out 1 hour LOL. HE HIMSELF stole hours per week of lunch time per week !! They busted him and said the only way he could keep his job is if he came back as a supervisor in management !!!! BWAHAHHA lol

Talk about punishment.... And how UPS picks their management pool, truely they will take anyone thats stupid enough to do it, or able to be blackmailed into doing it. Ughh this place is terrible, but part of me loves it :devil3:

Last edited:

trickpony1

I would advise you not to do this based on anonymous recommendations found on the internet. Ask your boss first.

That's right.
When this time gets charged back to the hub some people will start looking at reports and asking questions and then you will get fired.
Upstate can do it because of his relationship with management.

Floyd Gondolli

How would you code out dropping the Cosby Kids off at the pool just saying. When they want to go swimming it's at neither at a specific time or a specific pool.

When a center implements Telematics, they are instructed by Atlanta how to go about using the technology and in what order to beat drivers up on.

My center went on it over 2 years ago and everything I have experienced being on it, I hear the same stories on Browncafe years after.
I remember being shown a map with my last stop and time, where i took lunch, then where my next stop was. They beat me up over 4 fn minutes and pissed me off for treating me like crap. I got over it and so will you.

1) This is a "flavor of the month" and will move on to something new in a few weeks

2) They are trying to show every driver that they see everything going on and want you to be scared, just do your job

3) UPS is required to let you go eat lunch in a SAFE area, not in front of the house you just delivered at. You are allowed to go somewhere with bathrooms, a sink to wash your hands, cool air/ heat. As long as you are on area and a reasonable distance from your stops, it is fine. This has been grieved and won by every union local but kills me that they still play this game with everybody

4) If you are behind the wheel driving , you are on company time, AND IT IS NOT YOUR LUNCH !! Also grieved and won by my local

5)Also if you feel like it , stop complete your last stop a minute before you take lunch. You will not show up on their Nazi Lunch Beatdown

Remember, they will move onto residential backing in about a month :wink2:
This post is pure fact. I've been on telematics for almost 4 years and it all sounds the same just a new place. Growing thick skin is a good thing when you work at ups.