AH...Love the double time!!!!!

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
773, I use to get forced to work fridays for straight time and that sucked. But now that I can volunteer for dble time, it makes it alot easier, I don't have to work, but the $ is good, the work is easy, and my wife likes when I split it with her. I'm not sure why or how I would grieve something i volunteered for

Steward773

773, I use to get forced to work fridays for straight time and that sucked. But now that I can volunteer for dble time, it makes it alot easier, I don't have to work, but the $ is good, the work is easy, and my wife likes when I split it with her. I'm not sure why or how I would grieve something i volunteered for

What I don't understand is how some of the full-timers that signed up didn't get to work, yet, part-timers were forced to work?

Dog, This is what big arrow up said. If you signed up and didn't work, but they forced p/timers that should be grievable....agree?

Overpaid Union Thug

What I don't understand is how some of the full-timers that signed up didn't get to work, yet, part-timers were forced to work?

Dog, This is what big arrow up said. If you signed up and didn't work, but they forced p/timers that should be grievable....agree?

I think I understand this a little more now. I just don't see how Air Drivers could be forced to work while full-timers that want to work aren't able to. Don't get me wrong....I think part-timers should get first dibs on on additional work since full-timers are already full-time and enjoying gauranteed money each week of the year but we all know that's not how it works. Another goofy thing about the whole process is that TCDs are essentially treated as full-timers because we are basically placed at the bottom of the list of full-timers. The result is that sometimes they are unable to work on the Friday after Thanksgiving because after all the air drivers are forced to work and all the full-timers that signed up have been assigned there is no more openinings. So basically the air drivers and full-timers get first dibs and the TCDs only get to work if the full-timers don't have enough people sign up. That's ok though. I enjoyed not having to work.:)

HazMatMan

I just came home from my double time day (which in reality is triple time with the holiday) and I have to say that this company really know's how to throw away the money!!!! 6 of us worked, sat for most of the day talking. I got 11.5 hour's and didn't do a damn thing but make a few move's here and there. Not bad for a $1000 day!!! But might as well get it now because come Jan they will be kicking us out in 8hr's...

Yeah, just think about how much money they pay management to do nothing!!

HazMatMan

One question about the term "forced to work" Did they come to your house and drag you to work?? I was only told I had to work once in my career, it was the day after Thanksgiving, sup told me I "had to come in" all air walkers "must come in" Guess what? I didn't come in. That was about 15 or 16 years ago, i'm still working for UPS, and have never been told I "have to come in" again..

ScottP

15 down 20 to go
I'm 22.3 and would like to have gotten a little time on Friday but here it would be straight time so I passed. If I am not mistaken I read in the new contract that 22.3 would start getting paid time and a half for working holidays.

I don't know if you guys do this but we have Sunday sorts during peek and I will be attending todays. The beauty of this is that come Friday all hours worked are overtime. Just have to put 4 or 5 in today and work towards Friday. Nice little Christmas bonus.

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
773- now I understand where you're coming from. I Don't know that they forced any pt's to work at my center. I know of one that changed her mind and decided not to work. Like anything else, it's always alot more tolerable when you're not being forced. I thought maybe the air drivers were required to work but I'm not positive about that

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
Hazmat, back in the day(maybe 88-98) if they didn't have enough volunteers for Friday, they started from the bottom of the senority list and worked their way up until they had enough drivers. There were usually 6-8 of us that were forced/required to work. And that was straight time plus your holiday pay. I thought I had to! - so I did:dissapointed:

local804

Hey Red.... Next time you want to make a statement know what you are talking about..Here where I work ALL employee's that worked today were paid 2x plus the holiday that goes for part time and full time. I ought to know I am the steward here and I also had that put in our local supplement during our contract negotations in 2002....

As you can see Jumper, alot of the folks in other areas do have to work and did not get the great bonuses that you personally fought for. Imo, I think you owe 705 an apology.

Jumperwire

Parceling the Fla coast
As you can see Jumper, alot of the folks in other areas do have to work and did not get the great bonuses that you personally fought for. Imo, I think you owe 705 an apology.
Yea....I'm going to apologize for something other local's weren't smart enough to put in there local supplement. The B/A's who didn't get that put in should be doing the apologizing to there union brother's. Get real man!!!!

705red

Browncafe Steward
Hey Red.... Next time you want to make a statement know what you are talking about..Here where I work ALL employee's that worked today were paid 2x plus the holiday that goes for part time and full time. I ought to know I am the steward here and I also had that put in our local supplement during our contract negotations in 2002....
I was speaking of my knowledge of the contract and from what i have talked about with others around the contract and we were not aware this language even existed. If you are a steward can you explain what kind of language you have to override the overide language in the pre-amble of article 40 which covers the air language? Is there anyway you can post it for all to view, and who knows maybe it can help with changing this in our contract.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Yea....I'm going to apologize for something other local's weren't smart enough to put in there local supplement. The B/A's who didn't get that put in should be doing the apologizing to there union brother's. Get real man!!!!
Just as i wont be apoligizing for getting better in the 08 contract than the national. In my locals defense they were not in power in 02 and our contract had freight hands all over it, but now we have plenty of ups agents who will get us better( crap they cant get us any worse). I would like to see that language however, if its to much to type, maybe you can mail me a copy.

local804

Wasnt asking you to apologize for what a business agent adds to a conract. Just out of curiousity, what beast of a local are you a steward for?
I noticed your in feeder so maybe you just lost touch with a few realistic things. My guess FL?