Air conditioning in yard birds

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Do any of you guys at the larger hubs , smaller hubs have air conditioning in your yard birds , shifting trucks ? Our management tells us after the grievance is filed and heard that no birds have A.C. in them across the country , and we all know how trustworthy management is . If you do have A.C. in your yard bird could you post a picture of it .
Yard dogs? I have never heard of a yard bird. I work at a large hub and no we don't have AC. We even had one come in with AC in it and they took it out immediately.

rod

Retired 22 years
A few years back, Worldport got 15 brand new yardbirds factory equipped with a/c.

Before these yardbirds were put into service, UPS had automotive remove the a/c from everyone of them.

They probably needed to rig those ac's up to cool the managers offices. Heaven forbid they develop a sweat bead.

brett636

The only vehicles in feeders that don't have a contractual requirement for A/C are yard shifters. None of our yard mules have A/C and when they convert an old tractor to yard shifting only they take out the A/C there as well. I'm afraid to say you will probably lose your grievance.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Yard dogs? I have never heard of a yard bird. I work at a large hub and no we don't have AC. We even had one come in with AC in it and they took it out immediately.

We call them yard birds. Same as...

Yard dogs
Yard spotters
Yard shifters
Yard mules

Different areas call them different things.

1434688873766.jpg

Fragile

They don't but they should. I'm not a feeder driver but I recently had this conversation with friend who is in feeder in NYC.

I also think the 26ft straight jobs should have them also. The doors to open all the way like a package car. It's awful.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
They don't but they should. I'm not a feeder driver but I recently had this conversation with friend who is in feeder in NYC.

I also think the 26ft straight jobs should have them also. The doors to open all the way like a package car. It's awful.

The reason the yard birds (yard dogs, yard spotters, yard mules etc.) don' t have a/c is that the shifters would keep them running all the time.

UPS does not like wasting the fuel.

The shifters are supposed to shut off the yard birds after they hook and when they drop.

a/c would not help except to blow some cool air on the spotter when the yard bird is running.

They are not running long enough to cool the cab.

Not supposed to be running while they wait for their next move.

gorilla75jdw

The reason the yard birds (yard dogs, yard spotters, yard mules etc.) don' t have a/c is that the shifters would keep them running all the time.

UPS does not like wasting the fuel.

The shifters are supposed to shut off the yard birds after they hook and when they drop.

a/c would not help except to blow some cool air on the spotter when the yard bird is running.

They are not running long enough to cool the cab.

Not supposed to be running while they wait for their next move.
You can't be serious , so they shouldn't have heat either . I don't know what hub/center your at , but down here in the south , temperature ' s go to extremes .

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
You can't be serious , so they shouldn't have heat either . I don't know what hub/center your at , but down here in the south , temperature ' s go to extremes .
I have to agree with Mugarolla on this one. I'm pretty far south here in Texas, and they (management) watches idle time in shifters just like they do in tractors. Shifters are instructed to shut off engine between moves. You learn quickly where the shady areas are and which way the breeze is blowing that day. The only thing the DOT requires is a heater and a defroster in the way of a heating/cooling system. I was in feeders 29 years and my son has been a shifter for 3-4 years in the same hub I was in. No a/c in shifters. ever.