air driver delivering ground

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Why is nobody talking about a full time driver, perhaps the full time driver steward, filing a grievance on this as well?
If the company had to pay the air driver top rate and the steward time and a half, this wouldn't happen near as often.
The company has no right to use air drivers in this manner and it promotes a center from being properly staffed.

PT Car Washer

Why is nobody talking about a full time driver, perhaps the full time driver steward, filing a grievance on this as well?
If the company had to pay the air driver top rate and the steward time and a half, this wouldn't happen near as often.
The company has no right to use air drivers in this manner and it promotes a center from being properly staffed.
Air drivers may, on an exception basis, be used to make service on packages which are not air packages.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Air drivers may, on an exception basis, be used to make service on packages which are not air packages.
Don't take that sentence out of context within Art 40 Sec 1 (7).
The rest of the article states:

An exception package is intended to be when an Air Driver is making a pickup, as outlined above, after the regular driver has been at the customers premises, and the customer has an exception ground package(s) for shipment, the air driver may service on this package(s). Air drivers may continue to pick up Automatic Return Service but the features of this service will not be expanded.

This article is not intended to allow air drivers to deliver left over bulk stops, PLIB's, splits or misloads.
Any violations must be grieved in order to make this practice not economically viable for the company, which will in turn promote proper staffing levels.
I have and continue to add to the thousands of dollars won on grievances for this very issue over the last decade.

PT Car Washer

You also didn't finish the Section in question. "Any violation of Section 1 (a) (7), shall obligate the Employer to pay the Air Driver involved the difference between his rate of pay and regular package car driver rate". Many of us air drivers continue to add thousands of dollars a year to our income by this. If you feel this is wrong why doesn't the FT drivers vote to throw Art. 40 out instead of voting it back in every contract?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
You also didn't finish the Section in question. "Any violation of Section 1 (a) (7), shall obligate the Employer to pay the Air Driver involved the difference between his rate of pay and regular package car driver rate". Many of us air drivers continue to add thousands of dollars a year to our income by this. If you feel this is wrong why doesn't the FT drivers vote to throw Art. 40 out instead of voting it back in every contract?
You're right, but I think you're taking it the wrong way.
You are absolutely entitled to top rate if you deliver ground and I'm entitled to grieve it as well, as it's not your work.
It doesn't happen nearly as often since we took them to task.
If management asks/instructs you to deliver ground, do it and hold them to the contract.
I know I will.

PT Car Washer

You're right, but I think you're taking it the wrong way.
You are absolutely entitled to top rate if you deliver ground and I'm entitled to grieve it as well, as it's not your work.
It doesn't happen nearly as often since we took them to task.
If management asks/instructs you to deliver ground, do it and hold them to the contract.
I know I will.
I understand and appreciate your concerns. A year ago or so my building were sending every Art 22.3, PT air and air exception drivers out almost everyday with 50 or more ground stops a piece. Paid us top rate but we all knew UPS was abusing the language in Art 40. Union local stepped in and put a stop to most of it. Now we run misloads around to the drivers to deliver half the day.

AlwaysChafed

Friday I was asked to deliver some air after preload, and in addition to that was asked to deliver a bulk ground stop and a ground misload. Should I be paid temp driver pay, or air pay? I was told I'm getting air pay

It should be the ground rate at $18.75, 12/13 something for air, unless you've driven air for two years and that's a little over $25 an hour. If that's the case make sure they are paying you correctly.

Xexys

Retired and Happy
He should refuse to do the work according to the Master Agreement. I know, you'll chastise me for "refusing to work as directed" but I'd hold my ground and still refuse to do it. There's plenty of language to support the worker if he does indeed refuse to work as he is not qualified to do it.

PT Car Washer

He should refuse to do the work according to the Master Agreement. I know, you'll chastise me for "refusing to work as directed" but I'd hold my ground and still refuse to do it. There's plenty of language to support the worker if he does indeed refuse to work as he is not qualified to do it.
Why would you want to turn down $32.99 an hour for delivering a bulk stop and running a misload? Easy money.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

Absolutely.

Don't take that sentence out of context within Art 40 Sec 1 (7). This article is not intended to allow air drivers to deliver left over bulk stops, PLIB's, splits or misloads.

That's true....to an extent.

Before the company can put management people on the road (to cover the work)

They have to exhaust "all means" of covering the work with Union members.

There are National Grievance decisions on this.

Yep.

That forces them to hire more full-time drivers.

I understand and appreciate your concerns. A year ago or so my building were sending every Art 22.3, PT air and air exception drivers out almost everyday with 50 or more ground stops a piece. Paid us top rate but we all knew UPS was abusing the language in Art 40. Union local stepped in and put a stop to most of it. Now we run misloads around to the drivers to deliver half the day.

Your Local did the right thing. That was a complete abuse of the language.

There is no language in the Master.... that allows a qualified Air Driver to refuse to do that.

Why would you want to turn down $32.99 an hour for delivering a bulk stop and running a misload? Easy money.

It's not like you are trying to run "scratch". :biggrin:

-Bug-

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Don't take that sentence out of context within Art 40 Sec 1 (7) this article is not intended to allow air drivers to deliver left over bulk stops, PLIB's, splits or misloads.

That's true....to an extent.

Before the company can put management people on the road (to cover the work)

They have to exhaust "all means" of covering the work with Union members.

There are National Grievance decisions on this.

-Bug-

I am not talking about an anomaly, rather a consistent pattern of abuse, much as the language was written and intended.
Yet somehow, the company is always let off the hook as if this work was somehow "extra work" and only paid to the extent of available hours for the grievant on the day in question.
We have strung scores of grievances in many centers, only to have it swept under the carpet for pennies on the dollar.
Until the panels hold the company financially responsible during these periods of under staffing, they will continue to intentionally use these DOT qualified part time drivers instead of hiring new full time drivers.

PT Car Washer

Why would the company hire new FT drivers for what is at best sporadic work?
Which is what the company says. Temporary or seasonal spike in volume. Why hire several new FT drivers for just a couple days or weeks of heavy volume and then lay them off for who knows how long. Better to use a few air drivers and pay them top rate until UPS gets over the unexpected spike in volume.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Which is what the company says. Temporary or seasonal spike in volume. Why hire several new FT drivers for just a couple days or weeks of heavy volume and then lay them off for who knows how long. Better to use a few air drivers and pay them top rate until UPS gets over the unexpected spike in volume.
Have you, or any combination of air drivers in your building, ever done ground deliveries more than thirty days in a ninety day period?
If so, that's a new full time job in my "corner" of the country.
That's what I'm talking about.