air driver delivering ground

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I am not talking about an anomaly, rather a consistent pattern of abuse, much as the language was written and intended.
Yet somehow, the company is always let off the hook as if this work was somehow "extra work" and only paid to the extent of available hours for the grievant on the day in question.
We have strung scores of grievances in many centers, only to have it swept under the carpet for pennies on the dollar.
Until the panels hold the company financially responsible during these periods of under staffing, they will continue to intentionally use these DOT qualified part time drivers instead of hiring new full time drivers.

Your Local should take a more aggressive stance.

Repeated violations are an abuse of the language.

Why would the company hire new FT drivers for what is at best sporadic work?

With the new Master language.... it will be a lot easier for the Union to determine

whether it is sporadic incidences, or a pattern of short staffing.

Again, I'm not talking about isolated incidences, rather repeated violations.

Repeated violations, are worthy of discussions with an agent from the NLRB.

Then add in the fact that they violate when there are numerous full time drivers scheduled off???

That's BS.... that you have to constantly monitor it.

That should be the first question you ask.

-Bug-

AKCoverMan

He should refuse to do the work according to the Master Agreement. I know, you'll chastise me for "refusing to work as directed" but I'd hold my ground and still refuse to do it. There's plenty of language to support the worker if he does indeed refuse to work as he is not qualified to do it.
This happens in our center.. A route with one of the really good loaders might kick one bulkstop that may have barely fit but would have totally screwed the drivers day..the air route comes in with outbound air at 1430 and is now empty loads up and delivers that stop. He gets top pay for the day, and the original route is successful. If I am on the original route I'm happy to see this happen, seems like working smarter not harder.

Too often I've seen preload sups push to try to fit that last bulk stop on, corking the car and making it unworkable disorganized. So I end up needing red help then biz help.. It's a domino effect on the day.

Why would I in the name of the union want to prevent such an obvious good move?

Ms.PacMan

Do 22.3 positions who deliver or p/u ground pkgs (air driver/inside) get driver pay for the entire shift or just the air driver portion (3-4 hours)?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Do 22.3 positions who deliver or p/u ground pkgs (air driver/inside) get driver pay for the entire shift or just the air driver portion (3-4 hours)?

The year I had a 22.3 position, I was paid full rate if I delivered a package, picked up a package or was on the road for more than one hour doing anything.

Dr.Brownz

If you were told you were getting air pay and agreed to work at that pay rate what makes you think you can file a grievance?

Resident know-it-all.

\No extra contractual agreements *. They have to treat everyone the same. You'd think being a long time driver you'd know this stuff but you have proven again you are a wannabe management type.