Air Drivers

BlackCoffee

Someone told me one DOES NOT have to know how to drive standard transmission to be an Air Driver.

What do you guys and gals think about this statement?

Is this true?

Is it different in your hub?

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
You don't get to pick and choose. If I'm giving you a road test expect the crappiest truck we have. If you can drive that I know you can drive anything we have in the building

BurntSienna

Not true. I'm a part time air exception driver and I drive whatever empty package car I can find. Whether it be in the building or the yard. Could be anything. As long as it has keys and starts up

Driving a manual transmission truck is part of the job description. I noticed lately instead of the crappiest truck, we have been testing with the big straight trucks. A lot more have been passing. A 30 year seniority driver would not be able to pass a drive test with some of the junk we have sitting on the fence.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not true. I'm a part time air exception driver and I drive whatever empty package car I can find. Whether it be in the building or the yard. Could be anything. As long as it has keys and starts up
A bit of advice. Always check the oil and don't trust the gas gauge.
Checking the oil is not part of the pre-trip. Visually checking the tank for gas is.

The air driver is taking whatever empty car is in the yard. It wouldn't hurt to check the oil.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
The air driver is taking whatever empty car is in the yard. It wouldn't hurt to check the oil.

I was instructed not to by my sup. Saying it was not part of the pre-trip.

I run feeders and bundles. I am so used to checking the oil in the tractors that I do it in the package car also.

I told them fine, but if it locks up due to lack of oil, don't blame me.

hyena

I was instructed not to by my sup. Saying it was not part of the pre-trip.

I run feeders and bundles. I am so used to checking the oil in the tractors that I do it in the package car also.

I told them fine, but if it locks up due to lack of oil, don't blame me.
The car washers check oil at our building.