Air Handler/Ramp Work...what's the real story???

OntCombo63

As a ramp supervisor you'll be more worried about procedure and safety as well as plane turn around times if it is a turn around plane (unloaded then reloaded plane), if not, less pressure. As far as ramp job security, it has been in my experience part time supervisors burn out quicker than hub supervisors. I think from the added paperwork and stress of proper procedures due to most ramp injuries being more severe. I would opt to work part time on the ramp it will always beat part time inside the hub.

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
Thanks for the advice. I will be starting on the ramp on Monday. They offered me in my interview, after training anyway, a PT sup position to work 2 shifts (6-10pm, then the 11-230am). I don't really know what to say given I haven't even started yet. They said I can let them know after I train. Any advice on that matter? I need the money but more than anything I need job security. I am pretty sure I would make a good supervisor in general, but not knowing any procedures or environments etc.., I really don't know what to do. I am glad that this site exists btw. It's really reducing my anxiety over a new job by reading so many opinions on various aspects of working at UPS.

Take the supervisor position. It is hard work, but almost double the pay and double the hours.

Supervision is secure if you're mediocre at your job. Being a super-supe will constantly get you yelled at for not making your numbers, but you will not get fired either way.

Best of luck to you

PT Car Washer

Take the supervisor position. It is hard work, but almost double the pay and double the hours.

Supervision is secure if you're mediocre at your job. Being a super-supe will constantly get you yelled at for not making your numbers, but you will not get fired either way.

Best of luck to you
Double the hours yes.

bl04a

I had my tour of the Philadelphia Airport facility last night for the 11-3am shift and during the pre-tour talk, the HR rep indicated that if you had a valid drivers license he would push you towards the Air Ramp work versus inside the HUB as a package handler. Today I went back for my interview and met with another HR rep who said the same thing and made the ramp work sound a little more exciting than being inside the HUB sorting and loading. With the exception of dealing with inclement weather (and in Philly, snow/rain is very common). I had to make a choice so I opted for the ramp work and my application now shows Air Hub-Air Handler versus package handler. I was fingerprinted and told I should hear back next week (around Wednesday). Not too worried about the TSA background check...never been arrested.

My question is this: "Did I make a good choice going for the ramp work versus staying inside the HUB which felt a little claustrophobic at times?"

We toured the facility and could get a decent idea of what was going to happen on the inside as a package handler/sorter/loader but we did not get any insight into the ramp work and the HR rep was a little vague on the details just said it was more interesting work.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
You definitely made the right choice in taking the ramp position. When I got hired in 1993 I chose the ramp and never regretted it. Time goes by much faster than working inside and the job itself is more interesting. If I were you I would try to get into the aircraft fueling department, that is by far the best job on the ramp. I had that job until I became a driver. Good luck!

Sent using BrownCafe App

PrimoKS1

I have been on the ramp since July now, and I gotta say, a million times better than what I see going on in the hub. So glad I made that choice. Loving my job so far!