Air vs. Ground Seniority

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by AlwaysChafed, Jun 25, 2014.

1. AlwaysChafed

AlwaysChafed Member

Can a ground driver bump an air driver who has seniority? For instance, we have a shuttle route and I was the only one to get part time seniority. None of the other previous drivers did, however they are full time ground now, but started in my position. I'm guessing they can bump me?

Sounds like a dumb Q but so many weird things go on here.

2. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Full time seniority trumps part time.

3. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Even on shuttle routes?

Resident know-it-all.

4. By The Book

By The Book Well-Known Member

Hey Dave, you cant ask a question if your the resident know-it-all.

5. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

Only if you have more company seniority. FT can not bump s senior PTer.

6. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

Yeah, that's gonna come around and bite him in the butt.

7. Funfact

Funfact Well-Known Member

Is the route your on a bid route ??? If so did you bid the route ???? If it's not a bid route and is filled by PTimers all the time than Ft drivers can't bump and have no rights to that route. In my building we have a couple PT airs routes M-F or T-S that are filled by PTimers and FT drivers have no rights to those routes.

IF the route your on is a FT route that goes out to bid and FT can bid on it than that a different situation... YOu would need to talk to your Stewards they would now how things operate in your building as rules differ by area...

8. RonBurgandy??????????

RonBurgandy?????????? God is Great, beer is good , People are crazy.

If said full time employee who wants to run pt route over part timer he can as long as he is laid off and does not have his 40 hours for the week.

9. UpstateNYUPSer

Laid off FTers normally get their hours by working on the inside, not by bumping a PTer off a route.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  10. Wrong...again!....your..A...GAME IS SLIPPING

11. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

We don't have pt cover drivers I wouldn't know.

12. RonBurgandy??????????

RonBurgandy?????????? God is Great, beer is good , People are crazy.

Normally they work 2 pt shifts , yes , but if it is not a ft combo job, ft driver can bump any pt air driver , or pt employee off of a driving assignment to get his 40 hours.

13. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

Laid off FT driver bumps the least senior PT employee. Laid off driver does not get to choose which job or who he will bump.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  14. UpstateNYUPSer

Actually they can bump two PTers to get their 8 hours.

15. Future

Future Well-Known Member

Only if going inside to work. FT can bump any PT cover driver on road.

16. UpstateNYUPSer

Why would they put a PT cover driver on road when they have FTers laid off?

17. Future

Future Well-Known Member

They do try this in my center...stating area knowledge...and hoping young FTer doesnt know his rights or cares or wants to start waves....

18. UpstateNYUPSer

I am glad you mentioned area knowledge.

We have a new center manager who seems to have a different set of operating rules than our previous center manager's. His newest one is that we can all be directed to cover a route other than our bid route based on staffing needs and area knowledge; in fact, during the PCM last week, he mentioned my name, saying that I could be "asked" to go to Lake Placid, if needed. Keep in mind that I have not delivered a full route there in more than 10 years. We had two FT bid route drivers directed to cover routes other than their own this past week. They were not happy campers.

19. Future

Future Well-Known Member

Yes,they have tried this with me (alot) because I over the years had learned alot of routes. I was told by union Pres, I must work as directed ....then file a grievance ...It really doesnt do much when you file .....There is no monetary value.....Havent been told to do this in a long time, but it used to bug the :censored2:ola out of me when i was unprepared for it.....I mean within 20 mins of my start time I had to change mindset of what i was doing to me this becomes a safety issue ...

20. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

I had a center manager who would do that. Send a few drivers all over the place to cover work because they supposedly knew those areas (or because they would get it done) instead of using the drivers on routes nearby. It did get annoying when there were drivers who never got sent out of their way and others who were automatically the ones he first thought of to send to help.