Aircraft Mechanics Negotiations Update

tellitstraight

Hello 767mech could you also address the following questions?

Fact : We haven't asked for anything yet
-- then this is not a negotiation, what has been going on for the past two years?

Fact: We are the highest paid in the airline industry
-- agreed - and nothing to be ashamed of.

Fact UPS is unbelievably profitable.
-- True but not so much right now, a profitable UPS means a secure and profitable future for ALL of us. Don't kill the goose that lays the golden egg.

Fact: UPS proposes to raise our healthcare 150%.
-- Please explain, does this mean you will have a $15 co-pay? Technically if you were paying nothing then anything is a 100% increase - what is the actual proposal? You do realize that healthcare is not just a UPS issue it is a US issue.

*Since 2000, employment-based health insurance premiums have increased 100 percent, compared to cumulative inflation of 24 percent and cumulative wage growth of 21 percent during the same period.2
*Health insurance expenses are the fastest growing cost component for employers. Unless something changes dramatically, health insurance costs will overtake profits by 2008
*According to the Kaiser Family Foundation and the Health Research and Educational Trust, premiums for employer-sponsored health insurance in the United States have been rising four times faster on average than workers’ earnings since 2000
The average employee contribution to company-provided health insurance has increased more than 143 percent since 2000. Average out-of-pocket costs for deductibles, co-payments for medications, and co-insurance for physician and hospital visits rose 115 percent during the same period.

Please check out the site or google additional info - again this is not a UPS issue. The bottom line things are significantly different now then when you current contract was negotiated 7 years ago.

Fact: UPS proposes to take away our prescriptions
-- I find that hard to believe - I would guess they are proposing a co-pay.

Fact: Pension,Pay and 401k haven't have been talked about yet.
-- I will take your word for it.

Fact: UPS WANTS TO OUTSOURCE MY JOB TO CHINA
-- See previous post and explain what they are trying to outsource.

rod

Retired 22 years
Again the company has failed to make any movement on the contract with its aircraft mechanics. Below is the phone number to local 2727 hotline message. Call and hear directly from the locals president.

502-239-0983 or 1-800-766-5489

Also view this video of our informational picket from 10/30/08. We will soon have additional pickets in various locations.

YouTube - Teamsters Local 2727 Picket Line

I don't suppose you have a link to see what your local media (tv and newspaper) had to say about your informational picket day

OldUPSDriver

Negotiations have been going on for 2 years?? Maybe you should picket the local union hall!!! Plus your making $43 + per hour and all your killer benefits. No sympathy here.

tellitstraight

Unfortunately for the mechanics their contract is under the Railway Labor Act which severely limits their ability to strike. It does not mean they cannot strike - if I remember correctly (college labor class was a long time ago) they will have to be released by an National Mediator into a 30 day cooling off period. At the end of the cooling off period they could then strike. Generally the mediator will not release the sides until all options have been exhausted. Even in a worse case scenario I believe any type of work stoppage would be several months away. Also contracts under the RLA do not expire - they become amendable so the mechanics do have a valid contract in place however it does need to be renegotiated and cannot remain in this state forever.

The RLA is also the reason it is so difficult to unionize FEDEX - they are considered an airline with trucks while at UPS we are a trucking company with planes.

More info
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adamson_Railway_Labor_Act