Airlines woes

K

kjones514

Charlie, thanks for the advise, but since you have no idea what is going on it has fallen on deaf ears. My friend you have no idea what will happen at UPS if the mechanics strike. First Bushwacker's PEB gives us the o.k. to strike, next we set a date (our date is decided by Hoffa) then BOOM, we set up picket lines at the airports. Next Hoffa takes ALL TEAMSTERS OFF THE JOB no matter what, Hoffa and Ray Benning have told us that will be his move. Now IPA.ORG, they take all of the Union Pilots off the job to honor our line, finally just as in '97 it will be up to management to pick up, deliver, fly, sort, maintain vehicles, etc, you get the point. Now for replacement aircraft mechanics, UPS will not hire scabs due to the FAA's committment to safe operation of large commercial aircraft. My friend Charlie, please dont post if you dont know what the %&#* is going on, you do though, have an opinion to speak your mind, and we all appreciate it.

T

thedrooler

Charlie

Mr Jones has a highly overinflated opinion of his value in the grand scheme of things. He knows all there is to know about everything and never lets facts get in the way of his opinions. Don't waste your time with him. He ain't worth it.

Drooler

K

kjones514

Sept 4, the company, nmb, and union are schelduled for new talks, seems like gwbush.com does not like the way things are headed. I guess he got wind that the "30 day cooling off" period would be the week before xmas. Thats ok, just get back and talk, GROW WISKERS.

C

charlie

{CONTRACT TALKS WITH UPS}
Contract negotiations are still in recess between UPS mechanics and the Company. A national mediator recessed the talks indefinitely earlier this month after a full week of negotiating. Unfortunately, both sides were unable to reach an agreement on key issues. In its most recent hotline message to the membership, union leadership said it is willing to meet with the Company, with or without the assistance of a mediator, at anytime.

{INDUSTRY NEWS}
In industry news, it looks like American Airlines is in discussions with AirTran about a domestic code-share agreement. Aviation Daily reports AA may be aiming for a shotgun wedding with the national carrier. This comes after American announced it would be retiring its F100s.

Meanwhile, Delta has announced it plans to furlough another 50 pilots, effective October 1. That would bring the total number on furlough to 918.

T

tieguy

The mechanics are not in good bargaining position. There are plenty of laid off mechanics to choose from. The mechanics have already had industry leading pay offered but want something at a whole new level far above what the market will bear.

R

robonono

Attention all laid off American, United, and US Airways mechanics, please send your resumes to Louisville...

(Message edited by robonono on August 27, 2002)

C

charlie

Mr. Jones....While that may be your wish list of how things will progress, I do believe they will actually play out very differently. Having grown-up, matured and retired in the aviation industry, I have seen this cycle several times. You, my cyber-acquaintance, may very well find yourself on the short end of a very short stick.
I will agree with you on one topic, and that is I doubt that UPS will or could bring in "outside" mechanics. I also doubt there will be any need to.
I'd also check into getting your ears cleaned out.

Regards,
Charlie

C

charlie

{UPS NEGOTIATIONS}
And so, they meet again. Following a week of lackluster negotiation earlier this month, the National Mediation Board has agreed to meet with UPS and its mechanics union on September 4, 5 and 6 in hopes of hammering out a contract that both sides can accept.

***The meeting comes at the request of the mechanics union*** after the NMB had suspended talks indefinitely.

Well keep you posted on their progress.

{INDUSTRY NEWS} United Airlines CEO Jack Creighton has warned that its unions will be given details of its planned cutbacks by weeks end. The nations second largest carrier is trying to avoid bankruptcy. The proposals are expected to include substantial pay cuts and other concessions. United hopes the cost cutting measures will help it land 1.8 billion in federal loan guarantees.

As part of its bankruptcy proceedings, US Airways has asked the court for permission to reject collective bargaining agreements that cover more than 18,500 of its employees. The agreements are reportedly with employees represented by the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers and the Communications Workers of America.

And the stick is getting shorter........

Regards,

Charlie

K

kjones514

We shall see Charlie, but I think the threat of a strike a week or two before Christmas is the motivating vehicle. The company is complaining to the NMB about the high number of Out of Service aircraft and delays that cause service failures. This is by NO WAY caused by mechanics, the reason is 3rd party shoddy maintenance and cheap built Airbus equipment. Happy Founders Day to all, hot dogs and hamburgers and cookies for all.

L

lr1937

Dear Mr Jones
It would appear that you would welcome a strike or anything else that would hurt ups. Your sense of importance is only outdone by your greed and belief that the world can not function without ups aircraft mechanics. I think that you would rather make and get outrages demands regardless of the consequences. I for one am fed up with your confrontational adverserial attitude and overinflated sense of how badly you are needed. I think your expectations have far exceeded what is reasonable. I respect your right to your opinion and and your unreasonable expectations, however I have read your posts for sometime now and felt obligated to challange your "entitlement" posts.

K

kjones514

I do not want to strike or hurt UPS, what I, along with my Brothers and Sisters want, is a fair days pay for a fair days work. Now lets look at the facts. UPS, the NMB, and local2727.com will starts talks on Sept 4, why have we been without a contract since July 31, 2001? The reason is, UPS's lawyers know how to stall under the RLA of 1928, even though we will receive 100% retro pay, we have had no new benefits, work rules, or pension since 7-31-01. I love UPS, I work to help maintain our fleet of large commercial airliners to the best of my ability, I have the FAA, NTSB, FBI, along with other Govt agencies that scrutinize each job we accomplish. What is the big deal aircraft mechanics pay? Why do you Mr lr1937 seem so concerned about UPS paying fair wages? Why do you care it will not affect your pay (and I never complain about your wages and benefits)?

L

lr1937

KJ
You are demanding a fair days work for a fair days pay in some of your posts. From what I read you were offered the best mechanics pay in the industry and 87% turned it down. What could be more fair than to pay you more than any of your peers. I don't know what your HW&Pension benefits are but I would venture a guess that they are comparable if not better than the rest of the industry. You say that ups lawyers are the problen with the contract and that they are stalling. How about 87% of you turning down what was posted here as the best pay in your occupation. I have no wages. I am retired manager I will venture a guess that your health care is as good as mine so I don't understand your constant complaining about unfair wages and benefits. Most employees now have to pay some of their own way for shrinking health benefits. I think your wages and benefits are as good as it gets. How many of your brothers and sisters have priced themselves out of business. I have heard over the years the same complaint from other brothers and sisters who were at the top of the financial ladder always wanting more and now they have no ladder. I worked as hard at my job at ups as you have and have had my complaints but I would not want ups to go the way of other unionized organizations who have priced themselves out of a job. Many of those brothers and sisters made demands just like you are making. I don't find fault with demands for increase wages but do find fault with unrealistic expectations and demands. You make it sound like you are entitled to more regardless. My concern is that I have some of my retirement invested in a fine company and don't want it to go the way of Railway Express and other compainies whose employees priced themselves out of a job. They to thought it would never happen here. My concern is my security and the preservation of many fine jobs for a lot of great people management and hourly. To many ups people are of a mind that it couldn't happen to us and are unwilling to moderate their expectations to insure a good job for the future.

F

fedupmechs

"UPS is an airline, the 9th larghest. Sorry, but those are the facts - live with it."

It may be referred to as an airline but doesn't UPS fall under the labor rules of the NLRB? I believe they do and they are able to fall under those rules because the government has deemed them a TRUCKING company.

FedEx on the otherhand, has been deemed an airline and falls under the labor rules of the RLA. This is not by accident either. Fred pushed hard a few years ago to get FedEx classified as such so that it would be more difficult to unionize.

R

robonono

fedupmechs,

You are correct in your statements about the NLRB (UPS) and the RLA (FDX), but I was also correct in my statement about being an airline.

UPS at first contracted out with companies like Evergreen and Orion to fly our Next Day Air volume, but about 10-15 years ago (I'm not sure of the date) we received our own operating license as an airline.

We are not just referred to as an airline. We are an airline.

K

kjones514

History lesson 101, UPS received a suplemental Part 121 Certificate (partnership with DHL) in 1988, this was the start of the airline operation. The FAA told UPS to bring all aircraft, flight ops, maintenance, etc under this certificate and take sole responsibilty for their operation. Next, the pilots and mechanics are the only work group at UPS to fall under the RLA of 1928, the rest of the workers are Taft-Hartley governed.

C

charlie

This looks like good news on the surface. Mr. Jones......I would welcome your opinion on this........Thanks....Charlie.

Press Release Source: UPS

UPS And Aircraft Mechanics Reach Tentative Agreement
Tuesday September 10, 10:55 am ET

LOUISVILLE, Ky.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 10, 2002--UPS (NYSE:UPS - News) and the aircraft mechanics represented by Teamster Local 2727 today reached a tentative agreement on a new five-year contract.
The contract, which runs through Nov. 1, 2006, is retroactive to Aug. 1, 2001. It covers 1,140 aircraft mechanics, flight simulator technicians, utility workers and maintenance controllers working for UPS Airlines.

The agreement features numerous enhancements over the current contract, including industry-leading wages.

"This contract both rewards our employees for their contributions and enables UPS to remain competitive," said Bob Lekites, UPS vice president for airline and international operations. "The agreement means we can continue to focus on growing our business while enhancing good-paying UPS jobs."

K

kjones514

Charlie, we have printed the contract and highlights up on the company intranet, so far I have gathered top pay 43 bucks, 13% defined benefit contribution pension, and no medical benefits after 65. Employees can go to the internal web site, click on Air, then to labor relations, print and read for yourself. BTW, SWA's AMTs also received a t/a, they got a little less pay but stock options.

K

kjones514

UPS will provide "good paying jobs" but no additional pension or retirement after 65. The private board, is filled with no votes. The votes will be counted on Oct 4,'02, if it passes, then so be it, but if it dont, it could be a work stoppage around Christmas. As usual, UPS throws money at the problem, not attempting to make our futures secure, I hope you will understand this is not about money, its about pension, medical, and work rules.