Airport security

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
You should call the security badge office. Driving without a license may be against airport policy. Also having someone else keep your airport badge may be against airport policy

Dutch Dawg

Hmmmm... I'd be tempted to create a secure DL holder that allowed only the photo and name to be displayed with a redonkulous lanyard similar to the old style gas station bathroom key chain. Then if questioned would reply that one can't be too careful these days and that's your DL loss reduction tool.

Holydriver

In feeders I regularly go to the airport hub. Had to apply for a badge, get fingerprints taken, picture, etc.. however, they won't give me my badge, they keep it in their guards hack and require me to give up my drivers license upon entering the yard in trade for the badge. I really don't like giving my drivers license to the security guard in the guard shack. It has my full name, date of birth, address on it and I really don't feel comfortable leaving it with them for extended periods of time. I have fought with them about it, tried to give my ups id instead and they won't accept it. Feeder supervisor ends up coming outside and talking with me telling me either give up the dl, or leave and we'll discuss consequences when I get back to my hub. What are my options here.
I understand. I don't like giving my to the copper after he pulls me over either

Nolimitz

Sounds messed up to me. Our entire FE station has to have SIDA badges as we are on AP property in the station. If we lose a badge there are fines and discipline issues to deal w. The badge is considered AP property however. Sounds like you are in a Podunk area

P

pickup

Original Poster: You should inform your shop steward about this . See what he has to say about it. Personally, I wouldn't be thrilled about this "collateral " system. You are not applying for a loan.

P

pickup

I just googled " do you need a driver's license on airport property ?" I came across a few different websites including an official one from an airport in Seattle. According to their rulebook, you need your airport badge displayed and you need your driver's license in your possession.

So to the original poster, find the appropriate website for the airport that you are going to and see if it has a similar rule.

rkctkc

I just googled " do you need a driver's license on airport property ?" I came across a few different websites including an official one from an airport in Seattle. According to their rulebook, you need your airport badge displayed and you need your driver's license in your possession.

So to the original poster, find the appropriate website for the airport that you are going to and see if it has a similar rule.

I'll check it out, thanks

rkctkc

This is directly from rules and regulations of the airport. Says that the badge is considered invalid without presenting a drivers license. So leaving my dl with the guard shack is technically a violation and I could lose my badge. Now to figure out who to tell in order to get this changed

Attachments

• 1453698981586.jpg
    1453698981586.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 187
P

pickup

This is directly from rules and regulations of the airport. Says that the badge is considered invalid without presenting a drivers license. So leaving my dl with the guard shack is technically a violation and I could lose my badge. Now to figure out who to tell in order to get this changed

Good job . In explaining this to someone , I would drop the word "technically". It simply IS a violation to the same degree that not having the badge(permit) displayed is a violation. And if you can't get any satisfaction on your own , I would suggest once again to speak to a shop steward.

The action that might get this changed is refusal to give up the driver's license to the guard at the point of entry. Let the shop steward determine if that is the best way because he will be the one representing you at the discussion the supervisor promised you would be having if you refused to give it up.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Good job . In explaining this to someone , I would drop the word "technically". It simply IS a violation to the same degree that not having the badge(permit) displayed is a violation. And if you can't get any satisfaction on your own , I would suggest once again to speak to a shop steward.

The action that might get this changed is refusal to give up the driver's license to the guard at the point of entry. Let the shop steward determine if that is the best way because he will be the one representing you at the discussion the supervisor promised you would be having if you refused to give it up.

...or he could print out the document in question, highlight the pertinent information and hand it to his supervisor...

P

pickup

...or he could print out the document in question, highlight the pertinent information and hand it to his supervisor...

I typed my previous response on a smartphone so I was limited by how much patience I had to type on that small "keyboard". Yes he could do what you said, that would be a way of telling someone. I am also working under the assumption that his supervisor would possibly "poo poo" on his assertion that he has to hold on to his license.

My suggestion was the last thing to do in that event. The original poster signed an application for a badge in which I am sure there was a clause that he would abide by all the regulations of the airport . By giving up his driver's license , he is violating a regulation.

Work as directed does not apply here. However, the original poster has to do what he sees best to do. Kudos to him for looking up the regulations.

upschuck

Am I missing something, I don't see where it says what you are stating. What you posted talks about the permit, not DL.

rkctkc

Am I missing something, I don't see where it says what you are stating. What you posted talks about the permit, not DL.

I was under the impression that the permit was the badge. I have since found another regulations page that states you cannot enter airport property without a badge, but ups opens the gate and let's us enter and then gives the badge after we drive into the gate to get to the inner guard shack.

govols019

You smell that?
So, you're in feeders and your pulling loads into a UPS facility at an airport and they want your license as collateral for a badge? That's the dumbest thing I've heard of today.