Alcohol Discharge

Indecisi0n

We had a similar incident this past summer. He went to a bachelor party and had his first drink in "quite awhile" then called in the next day. I don't know the specifics, but it centered around UPS "forcing" him to show-up for random testing (probably from a tip he'd been drinking the night before), he did and was subsequently discharged. I know his argument was that he should not have been made to come in given that he tried to call in, but UPS stood by that it was voluntarily. He did not get his job back. His route's currently up for bid.
You don't try to call out.

QKRSTKR

This is an unfortunate situation. Everyone else should take the lesson hard learned by the OP not to mix business and personal life. UPS has these programs in place to cover themselves. Yes the OP needed help, now he knows it should have been outside the realm of UPS. It's one thing if you get a DUI and have to go through the UPS program, but to do it voluntary, no way. Had he tried AA through church or another community program, he wouldn't be in this position.

Good luck brother, I hope it turns out for you, but I've always seen alcohol and drugs big losers at panels.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Good Luck, OP. If I needed help I would have gotten it outside UPS help line. But water under the bridge. The important part is you get help if it is a problem. Your life is not over if you lose your job permanently. Its just a new day, seize it.

BrownChoice

I hope people realize how many alcoholics there are that work for brown. As a preloader its crazy how many times ive smelled alcohol as the drivers walk by after PCM.
:-/
Let alone when all the supes go out to happy hour and come back a lil to tipsy.....

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I hope people realize how many alcoholics there are that work for brown. As a preloader its crazy how many times ive smelled alcohol as the drivers walk by after PCM.
:-/
Let alone when all the supes go out to happy hour and come back a lil to tipsy.....

I've never smelled alcohol on another driver's breath.....although I've never been close enough to one's mouth to notice.