All Air Drivers To Be Eliminated?

shalang

Are these rumors substantiated? Would suck for a lot of us that have been doing this for a long time with our own routes. I remember that EAM drivers were laid off a few years ago and their jobs reconfigured to the hub. Perhaps we have to make that unfortunate move to full-time driving...

shalang

It's cheaper to pay a full time driver to work Saturday air, than to have an extra body on the payroll.
I agree that it ia a cheaper expense. I dont resent UPS for doing it at all.

What does this mean for full time drivers? Even if they hire more FT drivers, wont their workload be even more demanding? Usually they use us PT Air Drivers as covers and also to do last minute deliveries.

PT Car Washer

Saturdays used to be staffed with just PT (6). Now only 2 or 3 PT and the rest FT drivers making time and a half. The last 2 PT air drivers we picked up were disqualified package car drivers.

I agree I dont resent UPS for doing it at all.

What does this mean for full time drivers? Even if they hire more FT drivers, wont their workload be even more demanding? Usually they use us PT Air Drivers as covers and also to do last minute deliveries.
More people on the payroll, more pension money, more paid vacations and holidays, more health care, more vehicles they need to purchase...etc etc

shalang

Saturdays used to be staffed with just PT (6). Now only 2 or 3 PT and the rest FT drivers making time and a half. The last 2 PT air drivers we picked up were disqualified package car drivers.
Our team consists of PT air drivers. Rest are FT. A lot of the PT are rubbish and just stay in the building and/or take out 3-5 stops.

shalang

...or you could make the logical move to FT driver...
FT may be for some people but for me personally it taxes the body heavily. Mentally it can be stressfull as well , especially during peak and if your preloader sucks.

FT aint no joke unless you have a cake route, something you wont see until you put years in. Furthermore, those 14 hour days is not for me. No time to see the wife or kids. In my hub at least, drivers have a high divorce rate. There are somethings more important than money.

I do recall the 9-5 list which isnt bad. However, our hub rarely upholds it and still makes the drivers work.