All Air Drivers To Be Eliminated?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by shalang, Jul 9, 2016.

1. shalang

shalang Member

Im in Los Angeles, Local 396. There is a huge rumor in our hub that the Air Driver position is going to be eliminated. A lot of this is fueled by the new Tue-Saturday full time driver positions that are springing up all over.

I am a Saturday Air Driver and we have had a lot of full timers coming in to make their 60 hours per week. Also, we are gettinf a ton of work during the weekdays that stays back because there are not enough drivers to take rhe excess.

Are these rumors substantiated? Would suck for a lot of us that have been doing this for a long time with our own routes. I remember that EAM drivers were laid off a few years ago and their jobs reconfigured to the hub. Perhaps we have to make that unfortunate move to full-time driving...

2. It's cheaper to pay a full time driver to work Saturday air, than to have an extra body on the payroll.

3. Big Arrow Down...D

Big Arrow Down...D Leave the gun,take the cannoli

They're using hub rats and T-S guys for Saturday in our center as well, air drivers will be a thing of the past.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Unfortunately... yes

5. shalang

shalang Member

I agree that it ia a cheaper expense. I dont resent UPS for doing it at all.

What does this mean for full time drivers? Even if they hire more FT drivers, wont their workload be even more demanding? Usually they use us PT Air Drivers as covers and also to do last minute deliveries.

6. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

Saturdays used to be staffed with just PT (6). Now only 2 or 3 PT and the rest FT drivers making time and a half. The last 2 PT air drivers we picked up were disqualified package car drivers.

7. More people on the payroll, more pension money, more paid vacations and holidays, more health care, more vehicles they need to purchase...etc etc

8. shalang

shalang Member

Our team consists of 19 PT air drivers. Rest are FT. A lot of the PT are rubbish and just stay in the building and/or take out 3-5 stops.

9. shalang

shalang Member

Very valid points.

Ive been thinking about joining PE. Seems like their jobs are safe unlike ours.

10. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

They are no longer cost effective.

11. UpstateNYUPSer

...or you could make the logical move to FT driver...

12. Johney

Johney Raise your hand if you think Upstate is a D-Bag

ALL air drivers can't be eliminated, but Saturday ones surely will.

13. shalang

shalang Member

FT may be for some people but for me personally it taxes the body heavily. Mentally it can be stressfull as well , especially during peak and if your preloader sucks.

FT aint no joke unless you have a cake route, something you wont see until you put years in. Furthermore, those 14 hour days is not for me. No time to see the wife or kids. In my hub at least, drivers have a high divorce rate. There are somethings more important than money.

I do recall the 9-5 list which isnt bad. However, our hub rarely upholds it and still makes the drivers work.

14. UpstateNYUPSer

Who in the hell works 14 hour days??

15. Johney

Johney Raise your hand if you think Upstate is a D-Bag

Some do in the real world Dave.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  16. shalang

shalang Member

Our hub does. Drivers dont get off until 11 Pm. They bleed them until 13.99. hours many days. A lot depends on each center but I have been at my hub at 10 PM and see the drivers pulling in.

17. You can only drive 60 hours per week.

18. shalang

shalang Member

Our Air Drivers are all Saturday. The only other Air Drivers are the ones with a combo. Those are only 2 guys in our big building.

19. Billy Ray

Billy Ray God, help us all.....

We have never had air drivers.

20. shalang

shalang Member

My apologies. I should have said most days. The only time FT come in on Saturday is if they havent hit it yet. But for the most part these guys come in around 10-11. A lot of the times they run out of hours during the weekday.