All Air Drivers To Be Eliminated?

air_dr

I was always told to use air drivers as an absolute last resort to make service because it does affect our PPH. It was the hot topic around my previous building for a while. I think we used AM air drivers for non shuttle/EAM work three times since Peak.

But you also have to take building size into account. Putting an air driver out in a 32 route, largely rural building is going to hurt a heck of a lot more than say a 100 driver building
This posting caught my attention because, in short, I have received mixed signals about the value of PM pick up air drivers in my area where the average drop box collection time is 1900 (I am in the central time zone working out of a hub that is 30 min away from an airport served by UPS jets.)
I can do the work at $26.84 an hour or a full timer can cover it on overtime at over $50 an hour. Seems like a no brainer to me, yet I have heard some say that its better to go with the full timer and have one less driver out there. That makes no sense to me and I an curious what insight, Frigid, you would have that you might care to share.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
This posting caught my attention because, in short, I have received mixed signals about the value of PM pick up air drivers in my area where the average drop box collection time is 1900 (I am in the central time zone working out of a hub that is 30 min away from an airport served by UPS jets.)
I can do the work at $26.84 an hour or a full timer can cover it on overtime at over $50 an hour. Seems like a no brainer to me, yet I have heard some say that its better to go with the full timer and have one less driver out there. That makes no sense to me and I an curious what insight, Frigid, you would have that you might care to share.
I honestly can't give you a solid answer, because the center I was in did not utilize air drivers for drop boxes.

But what I can tell you is that your pay rate doesn't affect our numbers. Whether I have a driver run the pickups at OT or an Air Driver at 26.84, it shows up the same on the report. The only thing that would change is paid day, and nobody every gets chewed out for going over on paid day unless it results in grievances, DOT violations, or LIB.

It probably does affect the center manager's reports, but as an ORS, it doesn't. My bigger hit would come from drivers on road and PPH.